Viewliner versus Superliner bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Superliner cars have 2 levels. The Bedrooms are on the upper level and there are 5 of them.

Some of the Bedrooms have a partition between them that can be opened making a Bedroom Suite - sleeps 4 adults

Viewliner cars are single level and there are only 2 Bedrooms on a Viewliner car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus the H Bedroom which on a Viewliner is like a Small Apartment with and enclosed Bathroom!

Viewliner Rooms also have a second row of windows along the top of the outside wall and have more headroom on the top bunk, so are much less claustrophobic than Superliner Rooms!

The Viewliner H-Room is the ultimate riding high-on-the-hog for Amtrak. I was upgraded to one between Richmond and West Palm last Summer as the result of a Res mess up. We ended up losing a few hours along the way but I did not mind that one bit (plus got an extra Supper just before West Palm to boot).

I liked the VL BR better. Over the shower/toilet area is a nice storage area. Although every time a toilet is flushed you hear it since you're at the front of the car. Although it's not noticeable.

One way to see the differences is to get on the Amtrak website, pretend you're buying tickets on routes using both types of equipment. Then take the virtual room tours for each. You'll also find lots of folks posting video tours on YouTube.

One way to see the differences is to get on the Amtrak website, pretend you're buying tickets on routes using both types of equipment. Then take the virtual room tours for each. You'll also find lots of folks posting video tours on YouTube.
Why pretend to buy tickets. You can see the virtual tours w/o pretending to buy tickets.

Just go to Plan / Onboard / then select the accommodation you want to view

Overall I like Viewliner bedrooms better. Way more storage and much better lighting with the large upper and lower windows. A/C in the bedrooms has been a problem on many rides during the summer. Roomettes and hallway cool but bedrooms warm in the same car. Been that way forever. Its hit or miss. The Viewliner intercom and attendant call buttons on the Florida route never work for me and that's some 20 trips.

I been lurking for the past month,in NJ,was wondering,I'm returning home in a week or so and have a bedroom, my disabled daughter usually rides with me so I am able to get H room, she is flying home this time and I am getting bedroom, is it possible for me to get H bedroom, even though she is not with me and I am not considered companion. Once I was on Crescent going to Jersey and one of the Amtrak employees had it, just a young guy riding, he had a cold that's all and our attendant said they don't really check. I am spoiled and really like the H room, in a regular bedroom, I really only use the bathroom if I have to, then I don't really close the door, I'm very claustrophobic.

If the "H" bedroom isn't booked by someone with a physical disability within, I think, 2 weeks of departure, it becomes open to anyone to book.

If the "H" bedroom isn't booked by someone with a physical disability within, I think, 2 weeks of departure, it becomes open to anyone to book.
That, plus all bedrooms and family bedrooms have to be sold out on the train before H rooms will be sold to the public.

That, plus all bedrooms and family bedrooms have to be sold out on the train before H rooms will be sold to the public.
Do you have a source for that info? My understanding is that if you ask for it, you can get H at a roomette price regardless of availability status of bedrooms and roomettes. But I don't have a source either.

Does anyone know how much headroom on the upper bunk of the viewliner(measured it?) I'm a big guy and want to know if I will have enough headroom.

I was hoping to see for myself but National Train Day, now called Amtrak Train Days, I believe, will only bring their exhibit train this year. No equipment displays like viewliners. Tell me if I am wrong!

Cassie,

I'd be surprised if they took the accommodation away from you once you've paid for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right AmtrakBlue, I wouldn't want to have if someone else needed. I paid bedroom price should it have been roomette price. Either way it was worth it to me to have extra space. Plus going all the way from Newark to NO I was gonna be miserable not using the potty all the way for 30 something hours. Lol

That H room is great, I had it all to myself and everyone that came by whenever the door was open,very rarely and peeked in was saying that is a nice room. I like it because the bathroom is a very nice size. Have had it a few times and now I am so spoiled. My disabled daughter tells me I just use her to get the H room. She is so right about that.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back