Viewliner Toilet Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While the roomettes come with a toilet in the room, is there still one down the hall in the same car like in Superliners?
On the current (old) Viewliners, no. All rooms have their own.

On the new Viewliners, yes. None of those roomettes have a toilet.

Sadly, the new Viewliner roomettes will not have toilets in the room. Count me as a fan of the current configuration.

Tis better to know who did what where,

and feel comfortable on the seat,

than to traipse down the hall in the middle of the night,

just in one's underwear! :giggle:

Tis better to know who did what where,

and feel comfortable on the seat,

than to traipse down the hall in the middle of the night,

just in one's underwear! :giggle:
As long as soap was used afterwards, one never knows what magic might be ignited after seeing someone in their skivies.

Hello,

I am traveling on the Crescent this week and am booked in an even number room. Now normally the sleepers are located with bedrooms towards the front of the train which means siting in an even room one would end up sitting next to the toilet to face forward. It also means that I will be sleeping head first. I was wondering if it is a big deal to change to an odd numbered room over the phone. I remember reading somewhere here that it depends on the agent on the phone. Also does anyone have a preference to which way they sleep?

BOS-T-Time

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I am traveling on the Crescent this week and am booked in an even number room. Now normally the sleepers are located with bedrooms towards the front of the train which means siting in an even room one would end up sitting next to the toilet to face forward. It also means that I will be sleeping head first. I was wondering if it is a big deal to change to an odd numbered room over the phone. I remember reading somewhere here that it depends on the agent on the phone. Also does anyone have a preference to which way they sleep?

BOS-T-Time
I prefer to be sleeping with my head towards the rear of the train, that way I can look out the window of the upper bunk of the Viewliners and see what is coming. If the car is facing the wrong way I'll just turn myself and bedding (sheets & blanket) around. The beds on the Viewliners are smaller towards one's feet, but I'm small enough to make it work fine for me.

Hello,

BOS-T-Time
I always make my reservations by phone so I can get an odd numbered room on the Silvers. In fact, the last time I made a reservation, there was only one room left at the lower bucket and it was room 2, so I paid more money to get room 3. My guess is that you should be able to change by telephone, but based on my past experience, it may cost you more.

Hello,

BOS-T-Time
If an odd-numbered room is available, it should be no problem switching your location by phone. It should not cost you more and if an agent tells you it does, they simply don't know how to do it and are just trying to book a new room at current bucket and then cancel your existing room reserved at the original rate. Ask for a supervisor to help if they say it will cost you more.

Hello,

BOS-T-Time
I always make my reservations by phone so I can get an odd numbered room on the Silvers. In fact, the last time I made a reservation, there was only one room left at the lower bucket and it was room 2, so I paid more money to get room 3. My guess is that you should be able to change by telephone, but based on my past experience, it may cost you more.
really?!

hasn't alan said on here multiple times that if an agent tries to charge you more for a specific room that he doesn't know what he is doing and that rooms aren't actually assigned specific buckets but they are sold in a specific order.

Hello,

BOS-T-Time
really?!

hasn't alan said on here multiple times that if an agent tries to charge you more for a specific room that he doesn't know what he is doing and that rooms aren't actually assigned specific buckets but they are sold in a specific order.
It has happened to me more than once with different agents. I never asked for a supervisor. Too bad I could not ask to speak to Alan. LOL

Hello,

BOS-T-Time
really?!

It has happened to me more than once with different agents. I never asked for a supervisor. Too bad I could not ask to speak to Alan. LOL
Just call Alan when you need to make a change and have him call them to make the change. :giggle:

I've switched rooms on numerous occasions, as I don't like the lower level rooms in the Superliners. Whenever I get an agent that does not know what they are doing I'll just say 'thanks for the help... (and say to myself 'NOT!") ...I'll keep my reservation as is.' Then I call again. I've never had to pay more, and once found open rooms when I was told there were none (What clued me in was the agent took too little time telling me things were booked and had obviously not taken the time to check).

Hello all,

I just ended my call with Amtrak reservations and was able to change my room for the trip to an odd number room so I can sit facing forward without sitting beside the toilet. The agent actually said that she can change the room without an addition add/collect due to the currect roomette price being the same. This leads me to believe that if the current roomette fare is higher than what you paid, any changes would have to reflect the new price regardless of the roomette number.

BOS-T-Time

No, once again it is possible to switch the room without paying more if the agent knows what they are doing. But as noted earlier, too many agents take what they think is the easy way or perhaps its the only way that they know how to do it, and book a new room and then cancel the old room.

But if you get the right agent who knows what to do, the room can always be switched without a fare increase provided that a room is still available.

Hello all,

I just ended my call with Amtrak reservations and was able to change my room for tomorrow to an odd number room so I can sit facing forward without sitting beside the toilet. The agent actually said that she can change the room without an addition add/collect due to the currect roomette price being the same. This leads me to believe that if the current roomette fare is higher than what you paid, any changes would have to reflect the new price regardless of the roomette number.

BOS-T-Time
How do you know you will be facing forward?

We've traveled in the Crescent many times, and in every case, the H unit was at the front (nearest the locomotive end) of the train. Maybe it was just coincidence, but if not, that must be the usual orientation of the sleepers on the Crescent.

Apparently, on some trains there isn't a "usual" orientation, from what I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back