Viewliner showers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NETrainfan

Lead Service Attendant
Do many people use the Viewliner showers? Some we have seen have not been shower ready. Some have things stored in them- even ice bags one time.

Is this just our experience or have others experienced this?

The Superliner showers that we have seen have always been shower ready.

I travel fairly often on the Silver Meteor and rarely see the shower used. More often than not, the shower room is used for storage.

While I have seen some things stored in the changing area at times, I have always been able to use the shower.

Do many people use the Viewliner showers? Some we have seen have not been shower ready. Some have things stored in them- even ice bags one time.Is this just our experience or have others experienced this?
I use the showers every morning before breakfast. I would feel rather yucky if I didn't have my normal morning shower. But I rarely see anyone else using them. I mean, I don't remember ever having to wait for someone else to finish.

Occasionally, there are some things stored in the shower room. No bigy. I just move them out into the hallway.

Last edited by a moderator:
On our last trip on the Silver Meteor, I believe that I was the only passenger in our car to use the shower, both coming & going. I couldn't convince my DW as to how much fun it is to take a shower at 110mph.

More than a bed, I prefer the sleeper accomodations for the express purpose of using the shower. The horizontal sleeping surface is an added benefit! :)

I've been able to use them on both Superliners and Viewliners. Get irritated when they are used for storage, but many SCAs don't seem to really care about the best experience for the passenger.

Incidently, I have preferred the showers on the Viewliners over the Superliners and I can't put my finger on why.

Note, I have always been a Roomette guy and have not ever used the in-room shower of a bedroom.

I ride the Silver Meteor & Star. The SCA usually uses the shower as a storage room, but I've never had a problem getting the SCA to put the stuff in the hallway while I take a shower. Sometimes I've placed things in the hallway myself, as you cant store very much in those tiny rooms!!! :giggle:

Viewliner showers are undoubtedly used less than those on Superliner routes, just based on the fact that none of the trains which use Viewliners are longer than one night. Add to this, aside from either the regular Amtrak sleeper passenger or one who has done their homework in knowing what facilities are to be expected, I think a significant number of those in sleeper on a Viewliner-equipped route might not even be aware that a shower exists for their use. One such case was on our Cardinal trip this last December. Had breakfast with an older couple who were riding Amtrak for the first time, had gotten on in the middle of the night, and were amazed to hear of a shower after inquiring about my wet hair. Yes, you walk past it on the way through the car, but aside from the frosted glass and the small plastic sticker stating SHOWER in both English and Braille , it looks just like any other roomette when the door is closed. And like has been noted above, a lot of SCA's use it for storage.

In order of my preference:

1. I like the new/refurbished shower on the Superliner I's the best. It seems to be the largest and most user-friendly, especially when the SCA sets it up correctly (small used towel bin that does not take up the whole room; several fresh towels but not a huge stack that again takes up too much space; plenty of soap; patrolled on a regular basis to make sure it is clean and tidy.)
  2. The Viewliner shower, as it is also a touch generous on space, is somewhat user-friendly, and has the built-in used towel bin (which seems to be hit-or-miss on its use by the SCA.)
  3. The original Superliner shower, found on both unrefurbished I's and all II's. Just feels uncomfortable, crampt, and I hate shower curtains in public settings. Just gross. :excl:

A point I always make is that most people board the train clean and there is very little on the train to make you seriously need a shower, esp..if riding just one night like on the Silvers.

Do not get me wrong,I am glad they are available but it really does make more sense on the truly long distance superliner trains.

Never forget there were few showers in the old days before Amtrak and it seemed good enough

The few times I have had a roomette on the LSL, I have used the shower. But I never have seen anyone else do so. The one time I had a roomette on the Meteor, I used it as well. I can't remember having to move anything out of the way on any of the viewliners.

Superliners, a different story - they are often used. As noted, perhaps because one is often on a superliner for 2 nights.

Citing VentureForth's reply: To me the bunk is the most important feature of having a roomette, but the shower is a very close second.

I have used the showers on both the Viewliners and Superliners.

Only a couple of times were there items stored in the shower room,

I moved them out of the way. The shower on the Viewliner is slightly

larger than the Superliner.

Viewliner showers are undoubtedly used less than those on Superliner routes, just based on the fact that none of the trains which use Viewliners are longer than one night. Add to this, aside from either the regular Amtrak sleeper passenger or one who has done their homework in knowing what facilities are to be expected, I think a significant number of those in sleeper on a Viewliner-equipped route might not even be aware that a shower exists for their use. One such case was on our Cardinal trip this last December. Had breakfast with an older couple who were riding Amtrak for the first time, had gotten on in the middle of the night, and were amazed to hear of a shower after inquiring about my wet hair. Yes, you walk past it on the way through the car, but aside from the frosted glass and the small plastic sticker stating SHOWER in both English and Braille , it looks just like any other roomette when the door is closed. And like has been noted above, a lot of SCA's use it for storage.

• I like the new/refurbished shower on the Superliner I's the best. It seems to be the largest and most user-friendly, especially when the SCA sets it up correctly (small used towel bin that does not take up the whole room; several fresh towels but not a huge stack that again takes up too much space; plenty of soap; patrolled on a regular basis to make sure it is clean and tidy.)
  • The Viewliner shower, as it is also a touch generous on space, is somewhat user-friendly, and has the built-in used towel bin (which seems to be hit-or-miss on its use by the SCA.)
  • The original Superliner shower, found on both unrefurbished I's and all II's. Just feels uncomfortable, crampt, and I hate shower curtains in public settings. Just gross. :excl:
I agree with you on this order, too! The refurbished ones in the Supers are great - the old ones with the curtains definitely need to be re-done. I also find the Viewliner showers much smaller than the Supers and a tight squeeze. And I'm pretty slim!

Which reminds me - does anyone know the capacity of the hot water tank? Yes, it's a geek question but I was curious if it's the size of one you might have at home (40 or 50 gallons) or much smaller/larger. I've never run out of hot water on the train, but surely it's happened to someone!

Which reminds me - does anyone know the capacity of the hot water tank? Yes, it's a geek question but I was curious if it's the size of one you might have at home (40 or 50 gallons) or much smaller/larger. I've never run out of hot water on the train, but surely it's happened to someone!
No idea on the size, though I am sure that at least one of our AU'ers will know (I'm looking at you, oldtimer!) It must be reasonably large, or just cantankerous, as the instructions on its start-up and use which can be sometimes found on a sticker on or around the electrical cabinet at the bottom of the stairs are rather lengthy. I remember a line stating somewhere that it takes approximately 1 hour to heat the water to 120*F in non-freezing conditions, and can be longer than that when the temps outside are below freezing.

Then again, I'm good for reading little tidbits of information like that if they are found. ^_^

I

A point I always make is that most people board the train clean and there is very little on the train to make you seriously need a shower, esp..if riding just one night like on the Silvers.
As for me, at 260 glorious pounds, I need a shower just from sitting around all day. Also, the few times that I've used one on the Meteor coming South from DC has been after walking around the city between trains. I'm sure glad it's there, and I must say that taking a shower at 79 MPH is an experience that is akin to riding in the coffin on the top bunk of a Superliner. Something that's not for everyone, but ya gotta try it once!

Citing VentureForth's reply: To me the bunk is the most important feature of having a roomette, but the shower is a very close second.
You know, the first couple of cross country trips that I made were Coach to Chicago, sleeper to DC and Coach to destination (or the other way around as the case may be). It was the least expensive way to get TWO hot showers (once boarding the Capitol Limited, and once before getting off), plus I got to use the lounge at both DC and Chicago.

A year and a half ago, I was ripped off on an AGR award trip by having to take a coach seat on a sleeper reservation from Dallas to Chicago. But it was doable, and I was thankful for that shower on the Capitol.

I couldn't convince my DW as to how much fun it is to take a shower at 110mph.

I'm sure glad it's there, and I must say that taking a shower at 79 MPH is an experience that is akin to riding in the coffin on the top bunk of a Superliner. Something that's not for everyone, but ya gotta try it once!
After my first trip or two on the Silvers, I learned to attempt to time my showers to when we stopped at a station. :)

I

As for me, at 260 glorious pounds, I need a shower just from sitting around all day. Also, the few times that I've used one on the Meteor coming South from DC has been after walking around the city between trains. I'm sure glad it's there, and I must say that taking a shower at 79 MPH is an experience that is akin to riding in the coffin on the top bunk of a Superliner. Something that's not for everyone, but ya gotta try it once!
I also weigh in at 260 pounds (or thereabouts ;) and know what you mean. Also, I'm cursed with oily hair so I have to shower every day or I feel slick and slimy. I've used the shower on Viewliners twice and it's always been open. Last summer while on the Silver Meteor I used it at 110 MPH, and it was quite the experience, to say the least, :D

I think the viewliner showers are great on the Silvers when going to Miami, since it is a 6pm arrival you can be ready to go out upon arrival without having to go to your hotel room and get ready.

The same also works great for the Crescent going to New Orleans. With a 7:30 arrival who wants to go to the hotel after a 30 hours train ride and then get ready to go out. I shower and get ready about 6pm and then Im ready to hit Bourbon st the minute I get off the Crescent.

As VentureForth notes, some passengers on one-night trains have transferred from OTHER trains--and at some point we need to shower. I just got off a four-nights-in-a-row train trip, and was glad for the shower on the Crescent....

And timing your shower for a long station stop, as ChoChoCharlie suggests, is a big help.

They should convert those to the on demand water heaters and save some space and energy.

• I like the new/refurbished shower on the Superliner I's the best. It seems to be the largest and most user-friendly, especially when the SCA sets it up correctly (small used towel bin that does not take up the whole room; several fresh towels but not a huge stack that again takes up too much space; plenty of soap; patrolled on a regular basis to make sure it is clean and tidy.)
  • The Viewliner shower, as it is also a touch generous on space, is somewhat user-friendly, and has the built-in used towel bin (which seems to be hit-or-miss on its use by the SCA.)
  • The original Superliner shower, found on both unrefurbished I's and all II's. Just feels uncomfortable, crampt, and I hate shower curtains in public settings. Just gross. :excl:
I agree with you on this order, too! The refurbished ones in the Supers are great - the old ones with the curtains definitely need to be re-done. I also find the Viewliner showers much smaller than the Supers and a tight squeeze. And I'm pretty slim!
I will second Mr. Blackwolf's list. Never have had a problem getting into the showers on Viewliners. Best kept secrets are best kept :p

Agree that the refurbished showers on Superliner I's are very nice.

Will all of these showers (and bathrooms) eventually be refurbished?

The refurbished ones are the ones with the glass doors right? Are those refurbished or a complete newer model cause they feel a lot bigger. You can also see the light of day in the drain unlike the other ones.

Agree that the refurbished showers on Superliner I's are very nice.
Will all of these showers (and bathrooms) eventually be refurbished?
Hopefully!

Amtrak terminated the program before finishing all of the Superliner I sleepers, although probably 80% to 85% of the Superliner I's did get done. A few didn't get the full treatment though, so their showers won't be quite as nice either.

But Amtrak will soon have to find the money to finish all of the I's or the cars will soon be too worn out for use. It'll be a few more years before they need to start work on the II's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back