Viewliner Roomette

• Thread starter Guest Lurker. :-)
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest Lurker. :-)

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking here for quite some time. Admittedly, I have not ridden Amtrak (yet); but, I have been reading all the posts, and gaining valuable tips along the way. BTW, the person who mentioned Duct Tape. INGENIOUIS!!! Would have never thought of that. So here is what we (Mrs & I) are contemplating:

We are considering taking the train from Boston to Orlando (transfering in NYP). The trip is loooong; however, it would be something different, as we have never dones this before. Unfortunately, we can not afford a bedroom; however, it looks like we can afford a viewliner roomette. With that, I have a few questions regarding this:

I saw a video posted on You tube (not sure if hyperlinking is permissible here), and I noticed the room was *very small*. With that said.......

- How are bags checked? I assume a good size bag will not fit in the room; therefore, they will need to be checked in advance. Is it done like an airport, where the bags are given to Amtrak employees, they place them in a baggage car, and taken off at the final destination? If so, how do riders collect their bags?

- How are meals done? Do riders go to the dining car, or are meals brought to the room? (I read somewhere on the board that meals are included with roomettes.)

- Are there locks on the viewliner roomettes to prevent someone coming in while sleeping, or when leaving to eat to secure valuables?

- I understand there is one shower per car. Are the showers 1st come, 1st serve, or is a reservation needed? Is it one per shower, or are co-ed showers permissable (Mrs & I)? Any tips with the shower accomodations?

- I am nearly 6' 2". Will the bed be an issue? Or the seats that convert to a bed? WHich is a better bed? I am a light sleeper and the wife can sleep through a tornado.

- Should I not be able to make the trip (health issues), and the wife can still go, can she book the room to herself, or does Amtrak pair her up with someone else to share the space? If solo is allowed, are there extra charges?

- Is walking through cars acceptable? I assume one has to pass to cars to access dining or other areas.

- Anything else we should think of?

Thanks again for all the advice!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

- How are bags checked? I assume a good size bag will not fit in the room; therefore, they will need to be checked in advance. Is it done like an airport, where the bags are given to Amtrak employees, they place them in a baggage car, and taken off at the final destination? If so, how do riders collect their bags?
You would be surprised. The viewliner roomette has a storage area above the hall that can hold quite a bit. However, we always prepare an onboard bag and check the rest. Yes, they will be checked in like an airport.

- How are meals done? Do riders go to the dining car, or are meals brought to the room? (I read somewhere on the board that meals are included with roomettes.)
You go to the dining car to eat your meals. Usually, lunch and dinner are done by reservation (they will walk the train and ask you what time) and breakfast is first come first serve. You can ask your car attendant to bring them to your car, but I recommend getting out of the room and enjoying the dining car.

- Are there locks on the viewliner roomettes to prevent someone coming in while sleeping, or when leaving to eat to secure valuables?
You can lock it when in the room, but not when you leave it. Just close the curtains and door and everything will be fine.

- I understand there is one shower per car. Are the showers 1st come, 1st serve, or is a reservation needed? Is it one per shower, or are co-ed showers permissable (Mrs & I)? Any tips with the shower accomodations?
First come first serve. I supppose you can try two people, but it would be cramped.

- Should I not be able to make the trip (health issues), and the wife can still go, can she book the room to herself, or does Amtrak pair her up with someone else to share the space? If solo is allowed, are there extra charges?
She will be by herself. They do not pair up people. No extra charges.

- Is walking through cars acceptable? I assume one has to pass to cars to access dining or other areas.
Yep, not a problem.

Are you starting on a NE Regional? If so, all but the overnight run don't have checked baggage, so you would have to carry them on until NYP and then check them. OR you could check them the day before on the overnight train and the bags will meet you at your destination.

Yes, checking is like at airports. The bags will be at the baggage claim at the destination.

Most people take meals in the dining car. Dinner and lunch (sometimes) are by reservation. Breakfast and Lunch (the rest of the time) are first come, first served. Yes, meals are included with the roomette, for both occupants. You can have the sleeper attendant bring you your meals (tip well), but in my opinion, it is much more fun in the diner.

There are locks on the inside only. When locked, nobody may enter when you are sleeping. However, there is no way to lock it while gone, so either secure your valuables or take them with you (like I did).

Showers are first come, first served. I'm not sure you could fit two in the shower at the same time, but it would be interesting to try! :eek: Bring flip-flops or slippers.

- I am nearly 6' 2". Will the bed be an issue? Or the seats that convert to a bed? WHich is a better bed? I am a light sleeper and the wife can sleep through a tornado.
6'2" should be fine. Viewliner beds are bigger and more comfy. I found the lower bunk (seats that convert to the bed) to be very comfortable, though the upper bunk was still good as well, but smaller.

No pairing. The room is hers, solo. No extra charge as the room costs the same for one person as it does for two.

Yes, and fun too! I walked the train MANY times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about the roomette being small. It is small, but efficient. Its not for standing up and walking around in, but when you are in your chair and the other person is in theirs its not cramped at all.

Don't worry about the roomette being small. It is small, but efficient. Its not for standing up and walking around in, but when you are in your chair and the other person is in theirs its not cramped at all.
Also, since the Viewliners are single level, there is LOTS of headroom within the roomette when the bunk is retracted up to the ceiling.

You would be surprised. The viewliner roomette has a storage area above the hall that can hold quite a bit.
Yea, there is the private "cubby" up over the hallway ceiling.

There is also an area for a hanging garment bag, which I use to store a full size backpack. There is a "seat belt" which I slip thru the backpack's frame, and it holds the backpack firmly against the wall.

Plus, I had no problem storing my "old style" hardside luggage, "overnight size", one under each seat.

My hubby is 6' 1'' (and weighs 330lbs) and we have on ridden viewliners. He begs to sleep on the top bunk because he says you can see better from up there. I dont think you will have much trouble with the room size. Both hubby and I fit in the room comfortably. Everyone else answered the other questions, but I wanted to assure you that the roomettes are not as small as you think. We actually prefer them to a bedroom!

There is some room for bags in the roomette, but I would still check what I could. As far as checking and retrieving bags, it is similar to the airport. Most places, it is done at the counter, but some (like NYP) it is checked and retrieved in another place. At some (like WAS), the bags are retrieved on an airport-like belt. At some, you retrieve them right off the luggage cart outside.

You can ask your sleeping car attendant to bring the meals to your room, but I find part of the pleasure of trains is to go to the dining car for meals and meeting other passengers! Besides the table in the room is not large enough for 2 trays.

As said, you can lock the room from the inside, but not from the outside. If the door and curtains are closed, most people will not even know if you are in the room or not.

The showers are small, but compact enough. It may be large enough for 2, but I would not recommend it.

It's up to you, but the great thing about a Viewliner room is that there is an upper level berth window! :) (Superliner rooms do not have this feature! :( )

The great thing about Amtrak is that as long as the tickets have not been PRINTED, there is no penalty for changes or cancellation. (The only exception is that if a sleeper is cancelled in full less than 7 days in advance, it is non-refundable.) The room charge is the same for 1 or 2, so once you buy it, it's your room. (Hilton doesn't put 3 more people in your hotel room because there are 2 beds. Amtrak won't put someone else in your room either.)

Certainly! That's why I like trains. (How far can you walk on a 737?)

- Anything else we should think of?
Yes! Enjoy the trip! :D

THis information is ***Very*** helpful. Thank you so much to all who have replied!!!! :)

I live in Orlando and have made the trip on the Silver Meteor many times - with a roomette. When I was married, it was a little tight sharing the room with my ex-husband who is 6'3" and large. He "hogged" the leg space when sitting, so I often took walks and sat in the lounge car. He had no problem sleeping on the lower bunk. I am 5'3" and the upper bunk was fine. We only checked luggage once (going to NYP then to Vermont), and we really did not need to because there would have been enough room in the compartment. It took a while to get our luggage in NY. I have never checked luggage to Orlando, but the process looks pretty efficient.

I travel alone now and I get a viewliner roomette, but when I take the super liner trains, I get the more expensive bedroom because I do not like to share a toilet. I have taken a few showers on Silver Meteor. I try to be the first one to shower because the room gets pretty wet. I am pretty small and I do not think another person would fit in the stall with me. I do not think you will have to worry about waiting line to take a shower. In my experience, most people do not shower on the train.

Enjoy your stay in Orlando. :)

"In my experience, most people do not shower on the train."
WWWHHHAAAATTT!!! :eek:
Well thats true on some trains. The one night trains usually see less shower use. Like the silver meteor, silver star, lake shore limited, capitol limited, cardinal, crescent tend to see less people taking a shower but the western trains seem to see more people in the shower especially on that second day.

EDIT: Fixed a typo

Last edited by a moderator:
The one night trains usually see less shower use. Like the silver meteor, silver star, lake shore limited, capitol limited, cardinal, crescent tend to see less people taking a shower but the western trains seem to see more people in the shower especially o that second day.
I would say that it is very very rare for me to come upon anyone else taking a shower on the Silvers. The shower is usually dry, and there is only dirty towel in the hamper once I am done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back