Viewliner luggage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George K

Conductor
Some may remember that D4 won an Amtrak photo contest earlier this year. We're using her $500 voucher for our trip from BOS to CHI. Her voucher paid for a roomette.

So....this morning, I discovered that I could upgrade to a bedroom for only a little more $$, and there was one available! So we're taking #449 in a bedroom in September.

On Superliners, we've taken advantage of the luggage storage racks downstairs.

What about the Viewliners? Where can we put our suitcases?

The ceilings on Viewliners are considerable higher than on a Superliner. That creates some space above the toilet and over the adjacent hallway. Thing is, you have to heave the luggage up there. One way to help with that is to get it to the upper bunk, then transfer from there. Also space under the lower bunk, often overlooked. Another benefit of the higher ceiling is lots more head room on the upper bunk.

Enough space for two suitcases? One for me and one for D4?
While one might have trouble hefting them up there, one could easily put two foot lockers on top of the vanity/bathroom/shower unit and still have room for a small suitcase or a couple of bags. And there is still room for another smaller bag or two in the cubbyhole above the hallway.

In a Viewliner bedroom, if I recall correctly, there is storage space above the toilet and a cubbyhole over the hallway. Yes, you should have room for two suitcases. I would minimize the number of times I stored and retrieved each suitcase.

> one could easily put two foot lockers on top of the vanity/bathroom/shower unit

I've asked this before but what is a footlocker? Never, ever heard of them (outside this board)

Depending on your origin/destination station, it may be possible to pack the things you need in small bags, and check the rest.

I travel with two bags--a regular suitcase with the stuff I will need at my destination and a smaller one with toiletries, etc., for overnight on the train. I keep the smaller one with me and ask my sleeper car attendant to put the larger one up in the cubbyhole above the hallway. They have always been happy to do that, as well as take it down when I get to my destination. I think the bedroom cubbyhole would have enough room for two suitcases, but if not, your SCA will have a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back