Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not uncommon in today's manufacturing to have major parts arrive right before you need them (just in time inventory) You don't have to store them, and it is usually a factor in payment scheduling. Putting them on temps to move them out of the building makes sense regardless of whether the permanent truck situation is resolved or not.

This poster is also wondering about the truck problems. Not only V-2 cars may have truck problems but many MPR reports mention that P-42 overhauls have been delayed for replacement trucks. Same builder for both or separate vendors ?

Making shells involves cutting forming and welding, that is usually a different set of people in a different location than would be doing the other work. Many railcars (not these) have even had shells delivered from fabrication points in other countries.
Like the Silverliner Vs for example.
You just had to bring up this.. :lol: The welds on the Rotem cars that are owned by Septa look like a 2 year old made them. They're terrible. When I worked on that equipment it wasn't uncommon for something to malfunction. Bottom line is the Rotem cars are trash. I can't stand them and wish the contract went to Kawasaki in the first place. And we're about to go through round two of Septa being cheap and choosing and inexperienced builder and I can't wait to go to an open hearing that Septa hold to ask them will they ever learn, to which they'll dodge the question like true politicians.

End of ran and back to Viewliners.

Video by SuperStarRendon from Tuesday showing Columbus on the end of the Silver Meteor.

Making shells involves cutting forming and welding, that is usually a different set of people in a different location than would be doing the other work. Many railcars (not these) have even had shells delivered from fabrication points in other countries.
Like the Silverliner Vs for example.
You just had to bring up this.. :lol: The welds on the Rotem cars that are owned by Septa look like a 2 year old made them. They're terrible. When I worked on that equipment it wasn't uncommon for something to malfunction. Bottom line is the Rotem cars are trash. I can't stand them and wish the contract went to Kawasaki in the first place. And we're about to go through round two of Septa being cheap and choosing and inexperienced builder and I can't wait to go to an open hearing that Septa hold to ask them will they ever learn, to which they'll dodge the question like true politicians.

End of ran and back to Viewliners.
Some are so predictable! Heh heh! :D

It is not uncommon in today's manufacturing to have major parts arrive right before you need them (just in time inventory) You don't have to store them, and it is usually a factor in payment scheduling. Putting them on temps to move them out of the building makes sense regardless of whether the permanent truck situation is resolved or not.
I know the history behind JIT inventory. Stupidest idea ever. Came from the finance guys.

JIT is not a bad idea... it works quite well in Japan. It just isn't very applicable in the US where land is so dirt cheap.

Geeze Louize when does LSL get one?
It won't get "one". It'll get all or none. So that means at least delivery of I think 4 more.

You really can't offer a service where a train sometimes has a diner and sometimes doesn't. So, you need enough delivered to cover all the trainsets.

So it'll be a few months at least.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything before December at the ABSOLUTE earliest at this rate. Probably Feb is my guess.

While I prefer the ambiance of a full diner, the meal choices served in a real full diner and an Amfleet II diner-lite really are very indifferent to one another. Fewer choices, sure. But, the burger I had on #6 (a FULL Superliner II Diner) on Sunday September 10th of this year and the burger I had on #48 (a Amfleet II Diner-Lite) on Tuesday September 12 of this year was IDENTICAL in both flavor and texture. And the presentation was better on #48. The omelet was identical between the two trains as well.

Lets face it, people. Amtrak does NOT COOK FOOD anymore. The days of actually using a true full kitchen really are behind us; everything is precooked to a degree and then reheated. The food preparation areas are not utilized fully any longer on true Dining Cars.

About the only difference is the ambiance. Eating in a tube with mis-matched tables and windows, or having a more formal experience.

Out on the CL I'll get dinner and breakfast, but my return is on the LSL so it is well past dinner time.....No problem with getting food in Chicago as many have pointed out in various threads before.....

Back