Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mom! Are we there yet?
default_mosking.gif

Ok, so last month I said that the three diners should be ready by May 20th. Does anyone know if they are?
Not a new batch. The ones delivered last month: 68020-22.
Two of them deadheaded on 98(19).
So they’re at Sunnyside now? And are ready for service?
Or heading to Chicago for training.
They are not in SSYD. I think one is headed for CHI as Blue mentioned and the other is heading for BOS.

Do you think they'll bother marking the Sleeper Lounges as such? Or is that not worth the trouble and the cars will still be marked as diners?

Do you think they'll bother marking the Sleeper Lounges as such? Or is that not worth the trouble and the cars will still be marked as diners?
Would seem to me it would make sense not to because then the cars are interchangeable with the diners on the SM and Crescent (presuming the same thing doesn't happen to those two trains also of course.)

10 days left. Seems like Providence, Raleigh, and Richmond are all going to start off on the Lake Shore. Wonder if that's why CAF delivered three last month...

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 22nd CAPITOL LIMITED #29 took diner 68022 Richmond to Chicago. Should be interesting to see where it goes from there.

Andy
Most likely will stay there a while while both onboard crew and ground crews become familiar with it. Then it will probably go on the LSL.

In a meeting with RPA President Jim Mathews, Richard Anderson said the diners parked in Hialeah are "awaiting parts and modification." From this article:

Management hopes to get the new-build CAF diners now accumulating in Florida out on the road and into service soon, but Gardner reports that those 11 diners now parked in Hialeah are awaiting parts and modification. Once they are completed, they can go into service.

Even after they are delivered, these CAF diners have problems. Looks like they may be spending more time in the shops than on the road.
Once they've entered service, I feel like they've been pretty reliable. But that said, we're going form the Heritage diners, which is a pretty low bar.
default_tongue.png

Management hopes to get the new-build CAF diners now accumulating in Florida out on the road and into service soon, but Gardner reports that those 11 diners now parked in Hialeah are awaiting parts and modification. Once they are completed, they can go into service.
Good spin nobody cant argue with this statement. Maybe that the point...

In a meeting with RPA President Jim Mathews, Richard Anderson said the diners parked in Hialeah are "awaiting parts and modification." From this article:

While there may be 11 diners that need to be cycled through modifications in Hialeah at some point, there are certainly not 11 diners parked. Any information saying there are many diners stored, parked, or out of service is total fake news. There is actually only one(1) currently in Hialeah not in a consist. Others are in consists, deployed as Protects in New York or New Orleans, or are standing by in Boston or Chicago to be inserted into Lake Shore Limited sets come June 1st.

That number never sat right with me. By my count, there are 16 delivered and in service? If there were 11 of them parked, we'd be hearing of the Meteor and Crescent going out without dining cars, but I've not heard anything of the sort.

Nineteen have been delivered, six to go:

00 Albany

09 Concord

10 Dover

11 Frankfort

23 Springfield

24 Tallahassee

That should suffice for 19-20, 448-449, 87-88, spares at BOS NYP CHI NOL MIA, and still two left over to "sun themselves" at HIA.

That number never sat right with me. By my count, there are 16 delivered and in service? If there were 11 of them parked, we'd be hearing of the Meteor and Crescent going out without dining cars, but I've not heard anything of the sort.
19 have been delivered. 18 or 19 are ready for service. 16 have entered service.

Back