Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK let's see.

If 20-Providence and 21-Raleigh are about to be on the way, than that means eighteen will be on the property and only seven remain to be delivered.

Then there will be enough for Mr. Nerode to have his bacon and eggs on the Lake Shore as well as assign protects to SSY, HIA, NOL and CHI - and still have two in the backshop.

The Cardinal and Star, if they are ever to see these cars, will have to wait for the final seven.

Now one trivial thing has me puzzled. Why was Trenton passed over as a name in favor of Baton Rouge? Yes, the latter being derived from French "sounds sweeter", but Trenton has the potential to see the cars pass through on four trains a day. New Jersey has provided far more of a legislative caucus to further Amtrak interests than Louisiana ever has. And finally, only a small amount of Louisiana is to the East of the Mississippi, but which admittedly includes New Orleans.

So let's just leave that thought with a "we report, you decide".

Last edited by a moderator:
Now one trivial thing has me puzzled. Why was Trenton passed over as a name in favor of Baton Rouge? Yes, the latter being derived from French "sounds sweeter", but Trenton has the potential to see the cars pass through on four trains a day. New Jersey has provided far more of a legislative caucus to further Amtrak interests than Louisiana ever has. And finally, only a small amount of Louisiana is to the East of the Mississippi, but which admittedly includes New Orleans.
Really? Who cares?!

Heavy merge ahead.

img2.jpg

57172657-raleigh-usa-interstate-highway-sign-photorealistic-illustration.jpg

s295.jpg

Really? Who cares?!
Acela150: Easy man!
GBNorman: Trenton isn't included in the list because there are only 25 diners. If there was just one more, Trenton would be made.

On Track On Line link to the Viewliner names: http://on-track-on-line.com/amtkrinf-viewname.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
OK let's see.

If 20-Providence and 21-Raleigh are about to be on the way, than that means eighteen will be on the property and only seven remain to be delivered.

Then there will be enough for Mr. Nerode to have his bacon and eggs on the Lake Shore as well as assign protects to SSY, HIA, NOL and CHI - and still have two in the backshop.

The Cardinal and Star, if they are ever to see these cars, will have to wait for the final seven.

So let's just leave that thought with a "we report, you decide".
Have you not noticed that the names are in alphabetical order? There are not enough diners to reach Trenton in that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

So after the three, the ones that are still missing would be:

• Albany
  • Concord
  • Dover
  • Frankfort
  • Springfield
  • Tallahassee
So there would be 19 V2 Diners and one V1 Diner to make for 20 VL Diners.

Did I get that right? Or did I mess up something?

Ironically, Amtrak apparently has no real use for more than 12 or so.(if that assuming 33% overhead) for use as a Diner, in the brave new world.

So after the three, the ones that are still missing would be:

• Albany
  • Concord
  • Dover
  • Frankfort
  • Springfield
  • Tallahassee
So there would be 19 V2 Diners and one V1 Diner to make for 20 VL Diners.
Did I get that right? Or did I mess up something?

Ironically, Amtrak apparently has no real use for more than 12 or so.(if that assuming 33% overhead) for use as a Diner, in the brave new world.
Exactly. It’s all up to management at this point. At least run them as diner-lites, but just keeping them in Hialeah/WAS/NOL is ridiculous.

I was under the impression at the time (but perhaps wrong?) that part of the reasoning for the Amfleet II - Diner Lite conversion is that those cars could be bused to protect either a diner or a lounge on long distance trains?

Equipment deployment follows service decisions, not vice versa. Assuming even a fraction of the rumors about Amtrak 2.0 are true, it makes perfect sense to keep equipment on the sidelines until the new service plans are rolled out in a month or two (or three or four). Trying to shoehorn new diners into soon-to-be changed service concepts would be at best a distraction, both for staff and customers. Coordinated, consistent company-wide planning and implementation is not something we're used to seeing at Amtrak, but it looks like the times are a-changing...

I was under the impression at the time (but perhaps wrong?) that part of the reasoning for the Amfleet II - Diner Lite conversion is that those cars could be bused to protect either a diner or a lounge on long distance trains?
Well, since LSL uses its Amfleet I split Business/Cafe as both a snack car and Business Class car, it can't be replaced by a Diner-Lite (which doesn't have seats).

Equipment deployment follows service decisions, not vice versa. Assuming even a fraction of the rumors about Amtrak 2.0 are true, it makes perfect sense to keep equipment on the sidelines until the new service plans are rolled out in a month or two (or three or four). Trying to shoehorn new diners into soon-to-be changed service concepts would be at best a distraction, both for staff and customers. Coordinated, consistent company-wide planning and implementation is not something we're used to seeing at Amtrak, but it looks like the times are a-changing...
Remind me what Amtrak 2.0 is?

Do you think If I ride the LSL in June that there will be a Dining Car on it?
No. LSL isn't going to NYC this summer, so there really isn't anywhere easy to service a diner. With all due respect, this has been covered like 100 times.
With all due respect I think the person you’re responding to is new and probably has not read through the hundreds of posts you’re referring to.
Feel free to “delete” your post
default_wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

While the diners are the cars we currently focus on, I'm pretty interested in seeing the bag dorms roll out, curious as to how they are utilized, a train like the LSL could pick up quite a few revenue rooms which might help pricing and availability.

Back