Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thirdrail, one thing I heard a couple of times in sidebar conversations at the RPA RailNation 2017 is that all single level overnight trains will most likely get VL II Diners added to them, but the exact service provided in them may vary considerably from train to train.

Hence my idle speculation that maybe some trains will continue with reduced OBS Staff and menu even though delivered in a somewhat more attractive setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Thank you Jis. This fits into my cryptic:

Maybe they can shake some cost out of the OBS crews and add them to the Cardinal and Star. Maybe they won't. Maybe they'll convert them.

It is all speculation at this point.
The bottom line is I haven't heard of a timetable and there doesn't appear to be a rush at this point. That is likely because the outrage ( notwithstanding the posts of Tommylicious and Neroden of course!
default_happy.png
) isn't there on a public level. The riders have adapted...for now. Who knows? Some Congressperson could say "get that train a proper diner ASAP," and it will return.

I'm not counting on it though.

A Voice said:
I'm consistently amazed at the amount of false information that gets passed around on forums.
Fixed that for you.
Can someone tell me what special background thirdrail7 has here? I had no idea that he was extra tied-in to this stuff.
Words fail me. I'll have to use Allan Sherman's:
AllanSherman said:
I kept my ears open and my big mouth shut,

And I learned all the agency's scuttlebutt

I learned who was going out with whom,

And who had the keys to the powder room

For the key to the powder room you see,

Is the key to the structure of the agency

Last edited by a moderator:
My Son The Folk Singer was one of the greatest comedy albums of all time. Gone at too young an age. But I believe he spelled his name with 2 L (Allan)
Indeed he did.
I wasnt sure if he was from NARP, Amtrak, former employee, etc. As is apparent, I suck at forums.
That's ok. All mistakes are an opportunity to learn.

Thirdrail, though he apologizes for being "off topic", gets my vote for best post!

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

I wasn’t sure if he was from NARP, Amtrak, former employee, etc. As is apparent, I suck at forums.
If it is really causing a problem to have someone new to this post incorrect facts in good faith, by all means I encourage moderators to delete my posts and maintain a productive forum.

I do apologize to thirdrail for underestimating your qualifications and experience.

Another idle speculation was it might be hard to explain to Congress why you bought 25 cars half of which you had no use for.
That would be my thoughts too. Would of been much better if they were built on time. Things change, the diners will find work. It will be intriguing to see what come out, and how long it will last.

Another idle speculation was it might be hard to explain to Congress why you bought 25 cars half of which you had no use for.
This could be a problem Amtrak could well have to address, as somebody will unlock the "Micascope" and the very point Mr. JIS noted will be heard in a Congressional Hearing room:

Congressman to Amtrak official;

"Sir, your company that without our funding could no longer be a going concern, ordered twenty five full service Dining Cars. Yet, as you were placing that order, you had knowledge that the Simplified Dining arrangements that this Committee suggested you initiate, were resulting in significant cost reductions without a corresponding revenue loss. Would you care to explain to the American people your rationale for such a decision?"

I wasn’t sure if he was from NARP, Amtrak, former employee, etc. As is apparent, I suck at forums.
If it is really causing a problem to have someone new to this post incorrect facts in good faith, by all means I encourage moderators to delete my posts and maintain a productive forum.
I do apologize to thirdrail for underestimating your qualifications and experience.
No need for that at all. Water under the bridge, and hopefully a lesson learned for not only you but others that come along and read in the future.

This could be a problem Amtrak could well have to address, as somebody will unlock the "Micascope" and the very point Mr. JIS noted will be heard in a Congressional Hearing room:

"Sir, your company that without our funding could no longer be a going concern, ordered twenty five full service Dining Cars. Yet, as you were placing that order, you had knowledge that the Simplified Dining arrangements that this Committee suggested you initiate, were resulting in significant cost reductions without a corresponding revenue loss. Would you care to explain to the American people your rationale for such a decision?"
Similar explanation might be needed for the new baggage cars, as Amtrak has been eliminating checked baggage at more and more stations.

Baggage cars are buffers cars to keep the train horn as far away as possible from the passenger cars.

Also have use as axle count cars, and Crash Barriers.

The loss of baggage services at smaller station seem to link to the retirement of the employee who works at that station. Not sure if Amtrak just cant get anyone to apply for those jobs, or just using the retirement to end baggage service.

I wonder if the towns are ask to provide the service?

Baggage cars are buffers cars to keep the train horn as far away as possible from the passenger cars.

Also have use as axle count cars, and Crash Barriers.

The loss of baggage services at smaller station seem to link to the retirement of the employee who works at that station. Not sure if Amtrak just cant get anyone to apply for those jobs, or just using the retirement to end baggage service.

I wonder if the towns are ask to provide the service?
Believe me, there would be absolutely no problem for Amtrak to recruit help in any capacity....
default_wink.png

Really, you think so?

You think you're going to find someone willing to volunteer at say Gastonia NC? Remember, you have to be there before the NB train arrives, so plan on showing up at midnight. And the SB doesn't come through until 3:12 AM. So are you going to stick around for 3+ hours? Or go home? And if the SB is running late? Remember, you need to show up (or have someone else show up) 365 days a year. Oh, and you need to know at the very least the basics of Amtrak baggage handling (admittedly not hard, but still something to be known).

Oh and have to be capable of lifting the baggage up to the height of the baggage car and to unload baggage. And possibly run a cart to move the baggage from the baggage car back to the waiting room.

And if baggage shows up without a passenger, secure it and be able to to provide access to it when the owner of it does finally show up.

Should be trivial, right?

The original 55 V-Bag order contemplated that some H-Bags would remain in service indefinitely. The 55 would be enough to cover all existing lines, but nothing left for spares.

With the order of 70, I believe the only H-Bags in "Revenue service of sorts" are those needed to meet axle counts imposrd by the CN.

Similar explanation might be needed for the new baggage cars, as Amtrak has been eliminating checked baggage at more and more stations.
Oh...I'm sure they'll find a use for the leftover space that will justify the purchase.
default_ph34r.png

Oh...I'm sure they'll find a use for the leftover space that will justify the purchase.
default_ph34r.png
Hmm...does that possibly make two M & E hints recently?

default_ph34r.png
Perhaps use some of the space to stock a more realistically sufficient quantity and variety of food and beverages?

Jis, C'mon. "Half" of 25 diners no use for? With 5 each to the Meteor and the Crescent, 4 to the Lake Shore Ltd, assume 3 for back-up, 17 diners will be in use or assigned as soon as we get 17 of them..

Jis, C'mon. "Half" of 25 diners no use for? With 5 each to the Meteor and the Crescent, 4 to the Lake Shore Ltd, assume 3 for back-up, 17 diners will be in use or assigned as soon as we get 17 of them..
Why 5 each on the crescent and meteor?

Back