Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the problem has many facets. First of all, there are common food allergies that we have become accustomed to seeing warnings for, and less common ones where people are allergic to things that very few people are. You can't put up a warning for everything, that is why ingredient lists are important. But that brings up the next set of issues wherein vendors are constantly changing suppliers for component ingredients, the contents of which are poorly regulated. These are not one sided issues, say for example you react seriously to dog hair or dander, but I have a passenger with a legit service dog. Unless the dog is misbehaving, I can't bar it from the diner, but on the other hand I would like to accommodate you. If I tell one of you to stay out I'll probably get sued.
Aramark or almost any of their competitors manage to provide that information to other customers.

Below is my food report from a recent LSL trip. The crew’s efforts optimized the experience (they took lemons & made lemonade). My advice is to keep your expectations low - and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Despite the positive experience, I anxiously await the new Diners on this train
default_smile.png

Menu Changes (October 2017)

Food Report...LSL Eastbound Thu Nov 2 departure.

I’ll admit I had low expectations, and I’ve had much better food before (many moons ago when it was freshly prepared) on Amtrak - but the food was pretty good. I definitely didn’t go hungry - that’s for sure.

Breakfast -

French Toast (B+). Not fresh made, but prepared properly and very tasty. Chicken/Apple sausage was a nice option. Bacon was just ok.

Continental (B). A lot of food and a decent value. Oatmeal with raisins & brown sugar, a croissant, yogurt and fresh fruit.

Lunch -

Cheeseburger (B-). I enjoyed it, but it was missing something. I should have been more adventurous.

Romaine/Feta/Walnut Salad (B). Assembled onboard, greens were good and fresh. They fumbled the dressing choices - they only had ranch.

Dinner (Boston Section) - these were the only two choices

Beef with Mashed Potatoes and green beans (B+). My wife raved about the flavor of the beef dish.

Pasta Vegetarian option (B+). The flavor was really good! Not a mild choice at all. I could have sworn the vegetarian sausage was meat. The bread was properly warmed.

Desserts - lunch & dinner

Chocolate tart with strawberries (B+).

Yogurt Cheesecake with strawberries (B+). A good lower cal (<400) choice.

Chocolate Chunk Cookie (B+).

All the desserts were worth the calories, in my opinion. The crew even got creative and offered the cheesecake as the “a la mode” on top of the cookie at dinner!

One other note: the crew was outstanding on this trip - my best experience in several years. Especially the Boston Section crew - Mary (sleeper) and Rachael (lounge) absolutely went the extra mile and deserve an A+! As a whole - the entire LSL crew showed that even without a diner - if you do your job well you can deliver enjoyable food and a really nice onboard experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Fair enough point. We have 60+ percent of the cars from this order, just not enough of the ones some of us would appreciate the most. As an East Coast sleeper rider I am resigned to biding my time!
Yeah. Unfortunately, unless the pace picks up, it will be second to third calendar quarter 2018 before we start seeing any Sleepers.
Interestingly, in his speech at Rail Nation, Anderson never once mentioned the Viewliner Sleepers or anything about when they may or may not appear. Perhaps not too much should be read into it, but many of us noticed.

Hi,

Did Mr. Anderson say anything at the NARP convention about possibly exercising some or all the option on this Viewliner 2 contract?

Amtrak exercising options with CAF reminds me of the scene in Animal House with pledges getting spanked at the fraternity hazing, then saying, "Thank you sir, may I have another."

I’m tired of people posting how bad things are - based on their standards - and telling everyone else to avoid those things.

We all have OUR own level of tolerance for everything in OUR life and I, for one, would not tell someone to avoid something I personally did not like.

On any forum we share the open exchange of ideas and opinions. Some people have higher standards than others. Many prefer the 4 star restaurants and some prefer the pizza places. I agree that its unfair to tell others what they should or should not eat but a persons opinion of Amtrak cuisine can be useful.. Having dined with Alain Ducasse, Joel Rubochon, Mario Batali, Paul Prudhomme, Lydia, Bastianich, Jean-Michel Bergougnoux, and others; it is hoped that my opinions of Amtrak food, (made as connoisseur of fine cuisine) can be useful .

Amtrak exercising options with CAF reminds me of the scene in Animal House with pledges getting spanked at the fraternity hazing, then saying, "Thank you sir, may I have another."
I know, but getting more revenue generating sleepers and a least a few more diners now will be beneficial for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

So...you think Amtrak will exercise the order!
default_happy.png
Besides, by the time the final sleeper rolls off the line, we may need new baggage cars!
default_happy.png

Hi Thirdrail 7,

Yes I think more equipment will benefit Amtrak, but CAF's actions on this contract that we know from the sidelines is horrible. With more V2 sleepers, Amtrak would be able to replace the interiors of the V1 sleepers quicker and have more good revenue generating cars in its fleet! I know I am "on the sidelines on this particular Amtrak improvement", so I and many others will have to see what happens.....

These seem to be the current routes for all the diners, based on their most recent sightings.

Silver Meteor:

Charleston - October 17

Columbus - November 10

Boston - November 12

Crescent:

Augusta - October 12

Indianapolis - November 10

Annapolis - October 27

Baton Rouge - November 11

Columbia - November 11

When I got off 67 this morning (10/17/17) in Washington, 98 was on the other side of the platform with Charleston diner in the consist.
That post was almost a month ago, and is the last sighting of Charleston I've been able to found. Despite having looked at probably 40 or more recent videos of the Crescent and Meteor, I haven't found 68006 anywhere since then, so it seems to be out of service.

Augusta is a similar story. Last time I saw or heard about was on 10/12 as is mentioned above. From that I've concluded that 68003 is also out of service

All of this would make sense, as that would mean that the Crescent is currently running with Indianapolis, Annapolis, Baton Rouge, and Columbia, while the Meteor has Columbus, Boston, and two Heritage diners.

What I'm wondering is: Why have Charleston and Augusta been taken out of service? If they're in perfect shape, there's no point keeping them as reserves. Heritage cars are far less reliable than V-IIs (as has been mentioned here a thousand times), so one would think V-IIs would be the preferred equipment to use.

My guess is that there are mechanical issues with 68003 and '006, but have no idea from there.

Does anyone here have any idea what's going on there?

Hi Thirdrail 7,

Yes I think more equipment will benefit Amtrak, but CAF's actions on this contract that we know from the sidelines is horrible. With more V2 sleepers, Amtrak would be able to replace the interiors of the V1 sleepers quicker and have more good revenue generating cars in its fleet! I know I am "on the sidelines on this particular Amtrak improvement", so I and many others will have to see what happens.....
If Amtrak were to replace the interiors of the V-Is, are they expected to make them just like the V-IIs, or more of a touch up (like keep the roomettes' toilet)

Thirdrail may know more about all this, but I think the Roomette toilets will be gone, but the sink will be retained. They will have to yank out most of the Roomette modules anyway in order tog et the restroom module in, so might as well fix them up properly.

These seem to be the current routes for all the diners, based on their most recent sightings.

Silver Meteor:

Charleston - October 17

Columbus - November 10

Boston - November 12

Crescent:

Augusta - October 12

Annapolis - October 27

Columbia - November 11

When I got off 67 this morning (10/17/17) in Washington, 98 was on the other side of the platform with Charleston diner in the consist.
That post was almost a month ago, and is the last sighting of Charleston I've been able to found. Despite having looked at probably 40 or more recent videos of the Crescent and Meteor, I haven't found 68006 anywhere since then, so it seems to be out of service.

Augusta is a similar story. Last time I saw or heard about was on 10/12 as is mentioned above. From that I've concluded that 68003 is also out of service

All of this would make sense, as that would mean that the Crescent is currently running with Indianapolis, Annapolis, Baton Rouge, and Columbia, while the Meteor has Columbus, Boston, and two Heritage diners.

What I'm wondering is: Why have Charleston and Augusta been taken out of service? If they're in perfect shape, there's no point keeping them as reserves. Heritage cars are far less reliable than V-IIs (as has been mentioned here a thousand times), so one would think V-IIs would be the preferred equipment to use.

My guess is that there are mechanical issues with 68003 and '006, but have no idea from there.

Yes....you're panicky individual that is depending on youtube videos for information. Both cars have been used in service in the last weeks although one of them is up for PM soon.

So...you think Amtrak will exercise the order!
default_happy.png
Besides, by the time the final sleeper rolls off the line, we may need new baggage cars!
default_happy.png
Maybe the sarcasm was a little too subtle?

On any forum we share the open exchange of ideas and opinions. Some people have higher standards than others. Many prefer the 4 star restaurants and some prefer the pizza places. I agree that its unfair to tell others what they should or should not eat but a persons opinion of Amtrak cuisine can be useful.. Having dined with Alain Ducasse, Joel Rubochon, Mario Batali, Paul Prudhomme, Lydia, Bastianich, Jean-Michel Bergougnoux, and others; it is hoped that my opinions of Amtrak food, (made as connoisseur of fine cuisine) can be useful .
That's funny! I dined with them also. We met as a group and ate at Roi Bergere. I believe Mario had the Roi de la Ferme, Paul had the Roi du Bacon and Alain had the Sandwich au Poulet et au Parmesan. I can't remember what the others ate.

Hi Thirdrail 7,

If Amtrak were to replace the interiors of the V-Is, are they expected to make them just like the V-IIs, or more of a touch up (like keep the roomettes' toilet)
I had read about the idea that Amtrak was going to perform a rehabilitation on the original V1 sleepers after the V2s arrived and funding was programmed. I recall the posting stated the rehab plan was to make the V1s have the same room arrangement as the V2s. If recollection is incorrect, my apologies.

Silver Meteor:

Charleston - October 17

Columbus - November 10

Boston - November 12

Crescent:

Augusta - October 12

Annapolis - October 27

Columbia - November 11

Yes....you're panicky individual that is depending on youtube videos for information. Both cars have been used in service in the last weeks although one of them is up for PM soon.
I'm not panicking about this (at least I don't think I am), I was just genuinely wondering why I hadn't found Augusta anywhere recently. I'm sorry for clogging up the thread, but I figured that if there were something wrong with the V-IIs, that it would be of note.

Below is my food report from a recent LSL trip. The crew’s efforts optimized the experience (they took lemons & made lemonade).
I will say this: the crews have always, always, always done their level best. Management simply isn't giving the crew the support they need to do a good job. They've actually been ordered to destroy the ingredients lists on the packaging they receive at the beginning of the trip, which is ridiculous.

As for the Viewliner sleepers... well, they're definite profit generators (at least on the LSL) and Amtrak needs them approximately 10 years ago, but with the dining cars still having problems I can see that maybe management just isn't thinking about them for a couple of quarters.

Back