Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd think with so many on property they could by now keep at least 2-3 at a time in revenue service.

VERY frustrating.

So what exactly is the issue? Can we expect it rectified any time soon?

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, seriously, what the hell is going on? The baggage cars are working fine. What did they mess up on the dining cars? (I'm certainly assuming it has to be something which exists on the dining cars and not on the baggage cars.)

If it's the A/C, at least they can put them all in service in the winter. (Hah.)

It is a disservice to everyone who comes to this thread for Viewliner II news to have to read through countless pages of off-topic posts. Want to talk funding, equipment utilization, hypotheticals, etc., for the love of CAF please take it to another thread. The topic is Viewliner II delivery and production... acceptance, and operational status. So actually on topic, there was a time this past weekend when there was a goose egg for total in revenue service.
I agree.

Any chance of a Columbus-Concord road trip in the near future?

Nick

Let's see what the Magic 8 Ball says:

tumblr_n730psb5ks1qzgghgo1_500.gif

Any word on when the next two VL DC cars will be released to Amtrak?
Got a Snicker's bar?

I hope the new V2's have a proper shut-off for the air systems. I'm tired of

taping over the vent when the shut-offs don't work!! Every Viewliner and

Superliner I have been on for at least the past three years have not worked

properly and I have taped over (or the SCA has taped over) the air vent.

I hope the new V2's have a proper shut-off for the air systems. I'm tired of

taping over the vent when the shut-offs don't work!! Every Viewliner and

Superliner I have been on for at least the past three years have not worked

properly and I have taped over (or the SCA has taped over) the air vent.
Yes, it would be nice to ride Amtrak without having to make temporary modifications to their hvac system! Same with the rattles! We rode the VIA Canadian for 2 days and not a single problem with that stuff!

Yep. Sorry, no citation; it's old news.

The baggage cars contain the heating system, which is the same as the heating system on the other cars, but don't contain an A/C system.

Probably the ventilation is part of the A/C, but the heating isn't. I thought that was rather old-fashioned but it's how they did it.

I know this information is so where in the thread but I can't find it. How many viewliner dinners are actually operating? And how many would be needed for each set on the silver meteor to be equipped with a viewliner diner? I am trying to determine the likelihood that one would be operating if I booked on the silver meteor. Thank you.

I know this information is so where in the thread but I can't find it. How many viewliner dinners are actually operating?

Let's change the answer. 5 cars have been accepted for revenue service. That doesn't mean that are all available for trains.

And how many would be needed for each set on the silver meteor to be equipped with a viewliner diner? I am trying to determine the likelihood that one would be operating if I booked on the silver meteor. Thank you.
The Meteor has four sets. I'm struggling to think of a time where four have been operating at once.

Spent week in Orlando area. South bound Meteors when V-2 diner on train that diner seamed to take

30 hour delay before going back north on Meteor. One week does not make a pattern. Meteor ran with 2 locos, 5 or 6 coaches almost always AM-2s, lounge, , Diner, 3 V-1 sleepers, & baggage trailing in that order. 11 or 12 cars.

30 hours in NY is normal for the Meteor consist.
He said 30 hours before going back north, so it sounds as though he is referring to 97 turning into 98 rather than the other way around. It takes about 27 hours for a Meteor set to return North though Orlando or slightly more in other parts of the area so he may have rounded up to 30.
Spent week in Orlando area. South bound Meteors when V-2 diner on train that diner seamed to take

30 hour delay before going back north on Meteor. One week does not make a pattern. Meteor ran with 2 locos, 5 or 6 coaches almost always AM-2s, lounge, , Diner, 3 V-1 sleepers, & baggage trailing in that order. 11 or 12 cars.
Did you see any coaches that weren't Amfleet II? I am a frequent traveller on the Florida trains and I have never seen any coaches that were not Amfleet II on either of the Silver trains.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

30 hours in NY is normal for the Meteor consist.
He said 30 hours before going back north, so it sounds as though he is referring to 97 turning into 98 rather than the other way around. It takes about 27 hours for a Meteor set to return North though Orlando or slightly more in other parts of the area so he may have rounded up to 30.
I was talking of the layover at New York from 98 to 97. Now that you mention it I don't know what he exactly meant. The normal turn in Miami is much shorter, and yeah, through Orlando, it would be something like 24 hours or so.

How many Silver consists are there?

Since it is a two day journey, I would think you have two of each in route at any one time (one on "day 1" and other on "day 2"). So, 91 on day 1, 91 on day 2, 97 on day 1, 97 on day 2, 92 on day 1, 92 on day 2, 98 on day 1, and 98 on day 2. That's 8 consists. Are there another 4 on 24 (or 30) hour, turn around hold too, making it 12 consists?

That seems way too many. Where am I wrong?

How many Silver consists are there?

Since it is a two day journey, I would think you have two of each in route at any one time (one on "day 1" and other on "day 2"). So, 91 on day 1, 91 on day 2, 97 on day 1, 97 on day 2, 92 on day 1, 92 on day 2, 98 on day 1, and 98 on day 2. That's 8 consists. Are there another 4 on 24 (or 30) hour, turn around hold too, making it 12 consists?

That seems way too many. Where am I wrong?

The Silver Star and the Silver Meteor each require four trainsets (eight in total), though that number does not account for necessary spares (regular maintenance, etc.). Of course, the Star at this time does no operate with a dining car.

Back