Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the Heritage bag on the rear being used for?
Could be there as backup in case a serious problem crops up with the new baggage cars on the first day. Or heading north to be dropped off to be moved to storage at Bear.
As for which cars come next, there are 32 more baggage cars to be delivered if the production plan is to stay with producing 1 car type at a time. With the new baggage cars entering service, perhaps Amtrak will issue a press release about the shiny new baggage cars which will provide updates on the projected delivery schedule for the rest of the Viewliner IIs.

6 more heritage bags will lose their certifications by the end of April and will likely be phased out. Therefore, the deadhead heritage cars are returning to NYP for protect service and redeployment to cover Western operations.

If I recall correctly, several Heritage Bags and Diners will be retained as protects for unforseen losses. It will likely be the best of each batch - assuming the ex-SF four doors for bags would be ideal for an overhaul and protect service. Overhauling some of the Diners for protect service could also be done - Diner service could even be expanded on some trains like the Maple Leaf and Adirondack by using totally overhauled diners if there isn't enough V-II diners for that, or Amtrak doesn't feel like moving Diner Lites to those trains.

In addition, if VIA is interested, Amtrak could even overhaul the Diners for them. Amtrak certainly has the facilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall correctly, several Heritage Bags and Diners will be retained as protects for unforseen losses. It will likely be the best of each batch - assuming the ex-SF four doors for bags would be ideal for an overhaul and protect service. Overhauling some of the Diners for protect service could also be done - Diner service could even be expanded on some trains like the Maple Leaf and Adirondack by using totally overhauled diners if there isn't enough V-II diners for that, or Amtrak doesn't feel like moving Diner Lites to those trains.

In addition, if VIA is interested, Amtrak could even overhaul the Diners for them. Amtrak certainly has the facilities.
I find it highly doubtful Amtrak would add money losing cars (aka diners) to any more trains. At least not for regular service.

But I was thinking earlier how nice it might be to have a special diner, much like the dome car for special purposes.

But no, I don't expect to see diners on either of those trains.

Nope, the Dorm/Bag Cars and the Diners will come out first so the Heritage Dinera and Bag Cars can be retired from Service!

I agree with 2016 for the Viewliner II Sleepers!!

Give the current drive to eliminate food service loses, I doubt if full service diners will be added to any trains, except, and even this would be a wild guess, the Cardinal.

Given VIA's current status, I'm sure the Canadian carrier has more diners now than they can use.

Diner service could even be expanded on some trains like the Maple Leaf and Adirondack by using totally overhauled diners if there isn't enough V-II diners for that, or Amtrak doesn't feel like moving Diner Lites to those trains.
So you really believe NY State will pay for Diner service when it has difficulty finding money to just keep the trains running at all? Dream on :p what runs on Empire Service of which these two trains are a part, is not Amtrak's call to make!

Strider,

98 goes north, so perhaps it's heading to the scrap heap. I do have to wonder how many of these cars are going to be picked up by private car owners for use of some sort.
Well, one good use would be for more Amtrak history displays like THIS ONE in La Plata Mo. I think that they would be ideally suited for that purpose - providing that they are not totally refurbed and returned as RPO's, but for FedEx and UPS use instead of the USPS.

Hey, a person can dream, can't he?

ETA - well, they would also make an upgraded waiting area for some of those desolate stations shown in the thread for barely existent Amtrak stops!

Do you know which car that was?

Trying to figure out which the first 5 were

20-???
80- 61010
90-???
92-???

98- 61012

I am not an engineer so I don't know what the actual issue is but here is what it says in the manual:

Important-Loading Baggage

Due to a weight limitations of cargo racks found during post-manufacturing inspection, luggage racks are limited to 250 lbs. When loading, assume each bag weighs 50 lbs. No more then 5 bags per rack.

And that is followed by a bullet point which I just noticed when reading the page tonight. This should make everyone happy.

* A modification will be made during the cars preventative maintenance to resolve the shelf issue where information will be distributed to employees.
If this is for real, thanks for the info. This makes sense. (I'm suspicious, only because this is exactly what we speculated, and you're Guest_Guest, so you could just be telling us what we want to hear. ;-) )

I do wonder what the problem is. Wildly speculating: Perhaps the attachment of the nylon webbing to the ends of the shelves was done in a way which damaged or weakened the webbing. We DO have reports of poor construction quality and workers not following blueprints correctly. If something like this happened, each shelf may have to be reviewed individually to see whether the nylon webbing has to be replaced and reinstalled properly. This would be very consistent with what we already know about prior reports of poor build quality.

Some comparisons were made between the release of Viewliner II's and the Dreamliner, the later being more hyped and well known. Amtrak needs to blare out some news outreach about this historic release of the first deployment of new long and medium distance equipment (emphasize the part about this being part of a larger 130 car order of its type with hopes to get more) in over 30 years. Say something about how travelers now have some convenient options to bring on their baggage without the airport hassles, to go anywhere in the country.

Get some positive noise out there about the Viewliner II's.

So, back to our anonymous guest. Is the 250 lb placarded limit for the 5' shelves or the 10' shelves?

I get that the big bags will likely stay on the ground for handling purposes. No problem whatsoever can I speculate in putting 10 lightweight bags on each 10 ft shelf section.

But to say the shelves won't be used at all? That's sort of ridiculous. Unless there is s safety issue that has nothing to do with capacity.
As I undersand it the weight limit was determined by that soft web material you can see in the photos on the sides of the shelves so the length of the shelves does not matter.

I would agree with you that it seems ridiculous to say the shelves won't be used at all. I think all that were told they would not be used were surprised. It was explained as a safety issue.

When the new baggage cars are in service a month or two it will be clearer how they actually will be loaded. We were told not to use the shelves. But we are used to being told one thing on Monday and something different on Tuesday. So maybe the shelves will eventually be used.
I'd be positively shocked if the web material itself is the problem.

That looks like basic 1" nylon webbing. Flat Climbing webbing has a working strength of 6,000lbs. Let's assume they cheaped out and used something thinner.. and say 3,000lbs. But you've got one at either end. So you're back to 6,000lbs. (This is ignoring all the additional webbing in the "web" which would add strength).

So 6,000lbs, let's assume they're extra conservative and want a 10x safety factor, that's 600lbs per shelf. And that's being fairly conservative.

That said, if it IS the webbing that's easy to resolve.

If it's the fact the force is being transferred to the skin of the car which isn't designed to be structural, that would be harder to solve (but honestly more believable.)

Either way, I'm guessing it's not a showstopper.
I am not an engineer so I don't know what the actual issue is but here is what it says in the manual:

Important-Loading Baggage

Due to a weight limitations of cargo racks found during post-manufacturing inspection, luggage racks are limited to 250 lbs. When loading, assume each bag weighs 50 lbs. No more then 5 bags per rack.

And that is followed by a bullet point which I just noticed when reading the page tonight. This should make everyone happy.

* A modification will be made during the cars preventative maintenance to resolve the shelf issue where information will be distributed to employees.
THANK YOU. :cool:

:excl: Everyone can douse their burning hair now. :lol:

And Guest_Guest, I'm not kidding that I doubt your supervisor would be pleased at your tone or even the kind of information you've been releasing on here. Seriously. Don't be an idiot.

Some comparisons were made between the release of Viewliner II's and the Dreamliner, the later being more hyped and well known. Amtrak needs to blare out some news outreach about this historic release of the first deployment of new long and medium distance equipment (emphasize the part about this being part of a larger 130 car order of its type with hopes to get more) in over 30 years. Say something about how travelers now have some convenient options to bring on their baggage without the airport hassles, to go anywhere in the country.

Get some positive noise out there about the Viewliner II's.
Really convenient? Let's see, if I'm in Boston or points north of NYC and want to check my luggage southwards, I have to bring it in a day earlier.

Going north, pick it up a day later.

If I'm going to Canada, forget checking it. As is true with many of the smaller stations across the system.

I really don't think Amtrak is going to make much headway trumpeting their convenience of their service until it's more convenient.

Also notice, you hear a lot more about PASSENGER airlines buying 787s because they are an improvement. You don't hear much about UPS or Fedex upgrading their fleet.

Folks just don't get excited about luggage.

As I said earlier, Amtrak needs an early-out westbound baggage car [on #93?] to be able to connect with LD trains out of Penn later in the day. What Strider just mentioned about two trips to the station for the sake of checked baggage actually happened to my mother--30 years ago-and she lived 25 miles from Boston.

My computer is giving me trouble. I can't paste or quote so I'm using my phone and multi quote isn't available. I may have to make multiple posts.

Do you know which car that was?

Trying to figure out which the first 5 were

20-???

80- 61010

90-???

92-???

98- 61012
20(23) 61007

98(23) 61012

92(23) 61008

80(23) 61010

90(23) 61003

98(24) should have 61014

92(24) should have 61013

As I said earlier, Amtrak needs an early-out westbound baggage car [on #93?] to be able to connect with LD trains out of Penn later in the day. What Strider just mentioned about two trips to the station for the sake of checked baggage actually happened to my mother--30 years ago-and she lived 25 miles from Boston.
You may see this issue addressed in the future. There are multiple ideas afoot that haven't been deeply explored from what I've read. As Bus Nut mentioned, sometimes it is better to sit back and allow the topic to flow instead of saying too much.

The dust will settle soon...or something like that.

You may see this issue addressed in the future. There are multiple ideas afoot that haven't been deeply explored from what I've read. As Bus Nut mentioned, sometimes it is better to sit back and allow the topic to flow instead of saying too much.

The dust will settle soon...or something like that.
I will say though for us "normal folks" I suspect it is probably worth at least noting the DESIRE for such service. Just on the off-chance certain people who are known to peruse such forums see the desire.

Regardless of the actual plans, it's important to keep in mind that for the first time in a long time, Amtrak will actually have "extra" equipment and this means flexibility, if nothing else!

Here's video I shot from Arlington VA. Amtrak #90 with new viewliner II baggage in revenue use. It also looked inside the window of the baggage car, it appeared the shelving was in use.

I have to say, the Phase IIIb looks horrible with phase IVb

I fully agree. I know there was a pretty hefty discussion earlier about this when the cars were first seen. If everything was in IIIb fine; if everything was in V, fine. But now we are looking like Amtrak has returned to the Rainbow Era of the early 70s. I would have thought they would have kept them in Phase 5, saving the costs of restriping the entire fleet. I personally like the clean modern look of Phase V.

But at least they are finally rolling in revenue service.

I fully agree. I know there was a pretty hefty discussion earlier about this when the cars were first seen. If everything was in IIIb fine; if everything was in V, fine. But now we are looking like Amtrak has returned to the Rainbow Era of the early 70s. I would have thought they would have kept them in Phase 5, saving the costs of restriping the entire fleet. I personally like the clean modern look of Phase V.

But at least they are finally rolling in revenue service.
FINALLY!!! Someone that sees it the way I do! Thanks! Your so right, I love the way Amtrak trains look right now with the phase V engines and phase IVb cars. If these cars were in phase IVb, I'd love them, they'd look so much better! AMTRAK, PAINT THEM BACK TO PHASE IVB!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back