Viewliner handicapp room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pooh2

Service Attendant
Does the Viewliner Handicapp room (on the Crescent) have a shower and toilet in the room?

Would this room close the dining room?

Does the Viewliner Handicapp room (on the Crescent) have a shower and toilet in the room?

Would this room close the dining room?
The H Room on Viewliners has an enclosed Bathroom with a hand held shower.
It has the most room of any accommodation on Amtrak and most of us consider it like an efficiency Apt. ( Two Bedrooms on a Superliner made into a Suite don't count)

Since theres no way of knowing which Sleeping Car ( the Crescent has 2 Sleepers) you will be in, or which way it will be hooked up, its difficult to say for sure how close you'll be to the Diner, but no more than 2 Cars away if you're in the 2nd Sleeper next to the bag car.

Thanks for the photo!

We went ahead and booked it, it is car 1911.

Have a few more questions that I should probably post separate but will give it a shot here:

We are taking the Northeast Regional to NYP to pick up the Crescent.

Because I booked an H room, they booked me into Accessible Seats on the business class car.

What are those seats like?

I actually upgraded to Business class for the roomier seat and my recollection is that they had foot rests to elevate my legs somewhat (been about 8 years since we've been on the Northest Regional).

Would the accessible seats have footrests?

Would it be a big deal to just sit where we want since the seats are not assigned?

Also, my husband will be with me for help but the last time we used NYP he had a hard time getting me and our bags quickly down to the train and nearly missed it. I know we can use the sleeper car lounge while waiting in NYP, is that where we would request a redcap for help?

Will there be recaps when we exited the Northeast Regional to help get us up to the lounge?

To have a RedCap at NYP meet the train, let the Conductor know in advance of arrival so they can "call ahead" The folks at the desk in the lounge will arrange for a RedCap to meet you when the Crescent is ready to take passengers. Not sure of the best time to advise conductor, I would guess 20 mins, if that's wrong I'm certain someone will have a better number. 1911 used to be the car after the baggage car, then 1910, then diner, but the Crescent added a B/C coach which was between my car and the bag when I rode back in October. Mot sure if anything has changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the Assessible seats are regular seats at the end of the car with empty space for a wheel chair person or too transfer to the seats. There would not be any foot rests or seat back table just space for the chair. This space is also used for luggage if no wheelchair is present. You can obtain Red Cap service by requesting the conductor on the NER too arrange for it before arrival.

Thanks for the photo!

We went ahead and booked it, it is car 1911.

Have a few more questions that I should probably post separate but will give it a shot here:

We are taking the Northeast Regional to NYP to pick up the Crescent.

Because I booked an H room, they booked me into Accessible Seats on the business class car.

What are those seats like?

I actually upgraded to Business class for the roomier seat and my recollection is that they had foot rests to elevate my legs somewhat (been about 8 years since we've been on the Northest Regional).

Would the accessible seats have footrests?

Would it be a big deal to just sit where we want since the seats are not assigned?
The accessible seats don't have footrests. Or seatback tables. There is a large space. They also may be facing backward. That depends which way the car is facing. You don't have to sit in the accessible seats, not a big deal at all.

I believe the Assessible seats are regular seats at the end of the car with empty space for a wheel chair person or too transfer to the seats. There would not be any foot rests or seat back table just space for the chair. This space is also used for luggage if no wheelchair is present. You can obtain Red Cap service by requesting the conductor on the NER too arrange for it before arrival.
There is not supposed to be luggage in that space. Both passengers and red caps often ignore that and violate the space with luggage.

To have a RedCap at NYP meet the train, let the Conductor know in advance of arrival so they can "call ahead" The folks at the desk in the lounge will arrange for a RedCap to meet you when the Crescent is ready to take passengers. Not sure of the best time to advise conductor, I would guess 20 mins, if that's wrong I'm certain someone will have a better number. 1911 used to be the car after the baggage car, then 1910, then diner, but the Crescent added a B/C coach which was between my car and the bag when I rode back in October. Mot sure if anything has changed.
Saw 20 yesterday and there was a "coach" car between the sleepers and the baggage cars on the rear of the train.

It is customary on all Viewliner equipped trains to run the Viewliners with the B end facing the diner on both Viewliners. The B end is the vestibule end of the car which is where the H room is located.

Car 1911 you will have a 100 foot walk to get to the diner based on the car being 85 foot long, plus at least ten feet in your car, and ten feet to a table in the diner.

It is customary on all Viewliner equipped trains to run the Viewliners with the B end facing the diner on both Viewliners. The B end is the vestibule end of the car which is where the H room is located.

Car 1911 you will have a 100 foot walk to get to the diner based on the car being 85 foot long, plus at least ten feet in your car, and ten feet to a table in the diner.
I have not been on the Crescent for a couple of years but before that I was on it often. The 1911 and 1910 then were always facing the other way when they were on the front. When they were on the back the H room faced the diner.

On a Regional, you can chose ANY available seat. You are not restricted to just the accessible seats.

The original dining cars did not have vestibules, so a door on the sleeper (or coach) had to be next to the diner. Thus, on the first sleeper, the H-Room is always next to the diner - whether on back or in front.

If the walk is too great, sleeping car passage also provides for delivery of meals to the room by the attendant. You need the sleeper vestibule in case of evacuation from the diner since it doesn't have the exit doors. They will be facing the diner regardless of whether they are in front or in back of it, just in opposite directions.

If the walk is too great, sleeping car passage also provides for delivery of meals to the room by the attendant. You need the sleeper vestibule in case of evacuation from the diner since it doesn't have the exit doors. They will be facing the diner regardless of whether they are in front or in back of it, just in opposite directions.
When the sleepers were on the front the sleeper vestibule was not next to the diner a few years ago. I posted a video showing that but I think have changed it around in the last year or so since the last time I was on 19 or 20.

I *think* the sleepers on yesterday's 20 had the bedrooms in front - diner side. Wishing I had my phone ready to take a pic or video.

Every time I've been on Viewliner Trains and god knows it's my regular deadhead route with over five to six trips a year sleeper vestibules are always facing the diner regardless of being on the front or rear of the train. The B End is always facing the diner and the handicap room is on the B End.

And dining cars despite their age have always had access doors the issue in an evacuation is the doors are significantly smaller then a normal vestibule. Usually one in the kitchen and across the car body from that door as well.

Some diners particularly the ex New York Central 4xx series also had one regular vestibule with trap. But it was located on one side of the car only.

This shows the vestibules facing away from the diner but I think they changed it a year or so ago as people are now saying.

It's kind of unfortunate that people feel the need to come here for even really basic information like this. It's cool that we can provide it but it seems like this is something Amtrak's own website should be able to explain quickly and easily.

They also now have B/C which has been a separate whole coach on the Crescent. The VL closest to the diner almost always has the H room and Vestibule abutting the diner now. I don't think anything changes on a VL diner as far as entrance/exit. I had 8400 Southbound, but I've never been in a VL2 diner.

Back