Viewliner H Room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
seems as though some info says h- room has shower, & others say it's on opposite end of car? (Viewliner)

Last edited by a moderator:
The public shower is at the other end of the car, but there is a private one inside the H room on a Viewliner. There is no shower in the H room on a Superliner car, but the shower is about 5 steps away from your room down the hall.

Amtrak America book shows a floor plan for the Viewliner H room. Called "Accessible Bedroom" It shows an accessible shower/ toilet, with door.

Amtrak America book shows a floor plan for the Viewliner H room. Called "Accessible Bedroom" It shows an accessible shower/ toilet, with door.
It is by far the largest room in a Viewliner as the bathroom is cleverly spaced next to the hall. The two bedrooms, A & B, have the bathroom unit inside the room and you can be looking at yourself in the sink mirror if you sit in the right place on the couch. The sink, shower and toilet are all behind the door and out of your way in room H. I've had four adults and two children in the room (for day use) and did not feel cramped.

Since the H bedroom is designed for a wheelchair user, on a Viewliner there is plenty of room. And with the bathroom and shower (which is inside the room, separated by a door and in the space from the center hallway to almost the side of the car) , it is by far the most spacious room!

Since the H bedroom is designed for a wheelchair user, on a Viewliner there is plenty of room. And with the bathroom and shower (which is inside the room, separated by a door and in the space from the center hallway to almost the side of the car) , it is by far the most spacious room!
Thanx to all!

Is the Superliner H room spacious as well?

On the Superliner (the one without a shower in the H bedroom), the shower down the hall is not wheelchair accessible. By that I mean narrow door, lip between dressing room and shower room, no shower bench or space for one, no grab-bars. Some do have a handheld shower head. In other words, if you are asking for the H unit because you need it for your disability, you should probably plan on sponge baths in your room (there is a sink and the attendant will provide extra washcloths). I recommend one of the no-rinse shampoos and body washes.

These rooms are opened to non-handicapped people 2 weeks before departure.

On the Superliner (the one without a shower in the H bedroom), the shower down the hall is not wheelchair accessible. By that I mean narrow door, lip between dressing room and shower room, no shower bench or space for one, no grab-bars. Some do have a handheld shower head. In other words, if you are asking for the H unit because you need it for your disability, you should probably plan on sponge baths in your room (there is a sink and the attendant will provide extra washcloths). I recommend one of the no-rinse shampoos and body washes.
Thanx Alice!

Being on the lower level, I've read they are a little noisey???

Thanx Alice!

Noisy?!! Not only lower level, but at the end of the car right on top of the wheels! This is reportably the area to stay from if you don't like motion, also! I don't try to sleep, just look out the windows, make notes on a timetable or milepost, and watch a GPS if I have one ... and somehow I drift off enough to feel fine the next day. One thing about lower level is you can see the mileposts, so take something that has them listed.

You also asked about roominess. The room is excellent for one manual wheelchair (*), crowded but possible for two (discovered when a friend's cancer therapy wasn't going so well and we traveled anyway ... I slept on the floor). It won't work with a larger power chair or scooter that needs more than a 5x5 area to turn unless you just park it out of the way and walk. There is a luggage area reserved for wheelchairs in the car that will hold a Pride Legend (4x2 feet with 60 inch turning radius) but getting it in there involved lifting it around corners, not an easy thing for something weighing over 150 lbs so earned the crew a good tip. I was surprised at the time because this is a size that Amtrak says they can handle. A reservation agent can give you all measurements if this is critical for your travel. I have found middle-of-the-night calls to be best for finding an agent willing to look around for non-standard answers.

*: Be sure the attendant leaves the table stashed until after you transfer to the seat unless you have good reach to store it out of the way yourself.

Thanx Alice!

Noisy?!! Not only lower level, but at the end of the car right on top of the wheels! This is reportably the area to stay from if you don't like motion, also! I don't try to sleep, just look out the windows, make notes on a timetable or milepost, and watch a GPS if I have one ... and somehow I drift off enough to feel fine the next day. One thing about lower level is you can see the mileposts, so take something that has them listed.

You also asked about roominess. The room is excellent for one manual wheelchair (*), crowded but possible for two (discovered when a friend's cancer therapy wasn't going so well and we traveled anyway ... I slept on the floor). It won't work with a larger power chair or scooter that needs more than a 5x5 area to turn unless you just park it out of the way and walk. There is a luggage area reserved for wheelchairs in the car that will hold a Pride Legend (4x2 feet with 60 inch turning radius) but getting it in there involved lifting it around corners, not an easy thing for something weighing over 150 lbs so earned the crew a good tip. I was surprised at the time because this is a size that Amtrak says they can handle. A reservation agent can give you all measurements if this is critical for your travel. I have found middle-of-the-night calls to be best for finding an agent willing to look around for non-standard answers.

*: Be sure the attendant leaves the table stashed until after you transfer to the seat unless you have good reach to store it out of the way yourself.
Sounds as though you have experience dealing with the H Room???

Sounds as though you have experience dealing with the H Room???
I get the H room whenever I can (I use a manual chair usually). Also, although I'm not ordinarily an activist, once I got the conductor to check disabled credentials (they are required to reserve that room before it is opened up to the public) and kick people to coach and give me the upgrade. I was pretty disgusted after listening to the guy bragging in the waiting room about how he got the best room and a hefty discount by saying he was handicapped, when he wasn't. The Amtrak website has a list of acceptable documents. Showing up with a cane is not adequate if you are challenged ... it is a shame Amtrak needs this policy on account of able-bodied fraud.

I've also reserved downstairs coach on the Coast Starlight but don't like it, so now get a sleeper. Traveling with my mother (who walks poorly and uses that large scooter, and needs supervision on account of dementia), I get two lower roomettes and borrow her walker to move around. In the east, on those single-level trains, I like being able to move around more in the wheelchair, and especially the wheelchair seating in the lounge cars. However, on some trains the aisles are too narrow to go between cars.

If you're eligible for it, you can book it at anytime! It is only for "others" that it is not available unless the rest are sold.
I booked all legs of my 11 day trip in the H room.

Got my disability parking sign & a note from my doctor. (although, I can't read it, LOL!)

Will that be enough credentials?

If you're eligible for it, you can book it at anytime! It is only for "others" that it is not available unless the rest are sold.

Got my disability parking sign & a note from my doctor. (although, I can't read it, LOL!)

Yes. I don't get the doctor's note but take the registration from my placard (the registration has my name/address and the placard could belong to anyone). Other things that work are things like paratransit ID. You probably won't need to show it unless you look able-bodied, and maybe not even then.

11 legs ... sounds like a great trip! You'll report?

Yes. I don't get the doctor's note but take the registration from my placard (the registration has my name/address and the placard could belong to anyone). Other things that work are things like paratransit ID. You probably won't need to show it unless you look able-bodied, and maybe not even then.

11 legs ... sounds like a great trip! You'll report?
My Florida placard has a registration sticker attached to it which matches my ID #.

& yes, I am looking forward to doing just that. (Report) Since I can't walk very far, this seems like a perfect way to see parts of the country I've never experienced! Don't want to wish my life away, BUT ... I wish Sept. 1st was tomarrow!!!! :)

My Florida placard has a registration sticker attached to it which matches my ID #.& yes, I am looking forward to doing just that. (Report) Since I can't walk very far, this seems like a perfect way to see parts of the country I've never experienced! Don't want to wish my life away, BUT ... I wish Sept. 1st was tomarrow!!!! :)
Oh good, you can walk a little! That means you can eat in the dining room (they'll bring you your meals but the dining car is more fun), and hang out in the cafe cars or other community areas. There are lots of things to hold on to when walking. I pull to the side where there is space (and handholds) and let faster traffic pass. Besides the obvious, this makes me lots of friends for conversation at other times.

My Florida placard has a registration sticker attached to it which matches my ID #.& yes, I am looking forward to doing just that. (Report) Since I can't walk very far, this seems like a perfect way to see parts of the country I've never experienced! Don't want to wish my life away, BUT ... I wish Sept. 1st was tomarrow!!!! :)
Oh good, you can walk a little! That means you can eat in the dining room (they'll bring you your meals but the dining car is more fun), and hang out in the cafe cars or other community areas. There are lots of things to hold on to when walking. I pull to the side where there is space (and handholds) and let faster traffic pass. Besides the obvious, this makes me lots of friends for conversation at other times.
Since this is my 1st trip, I don't know what to expect. Is there that much traffic on LD Routes? ( That's probably a question that would require a Crystal Ball!! )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back