Vietnam - Saigon Central Railway Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Visited the Ho Chi Minh train station today in preparation for an early morning train (SE8) to Hanoi tomorrow.

It has becoming a common factor in SE Asia for us that major city road traffic levels are high, so we needed to understand how long we needed to reach the station.

At the Ga Sai Gon (is Ga the Vietnamese translation of the French Gare = station?) we found nothing extraordinary, nothing of note and nothing missing. In contrast to HCM City it felt neglected, as though the city hadn't got round to updating or restoring there main railway station. They had just left it in functioning order with the paint peeling a little.

Here's the only photo of note:

SA142530a.jpg

I tried to access the platforms as there was an open gate but the attendant sitting inside said no access. I asked if I could photo the platforms from the gateway, no photos either. He was very adamant about no photos.

I'll try to grab a couple when we get to board the train, not sure if that is allowed though.

We have been in HCM City Vietnam for a couple of days, the attendants behaviour is the exact opposite of all the people we have met so far which has been welcoming and open. Maybe he was having a bad day?

Last edited:
Back