Video Monitor ??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakPDX

Train Attendant
Technical question.

I live close enough to the PDX station and up high enough that I can enjoy watching the trains come and go. I was visiting my local Apple store recently and noticed a device that might be of interest to the group. Before I get it I want to make sure that it would do what I want to see it do. The device is called “iZon”. It’s made by Stem. There’s another similar device that’s made by Phillips. They’re advertised as a “Wi-Fi Video Monitor”. I was hoping to set it up to watch over the station with the intention of the group being able to access the device to see the comings and going of the trains. I’m guessing that I would have to provide a device address and possibly password to the group (no problem) but my concern was: does it need to be physically or proximity ‘coupled’ to the ‘viewer’s’ device (iPhone, iPad, iWhatever) in order to work. If this IS the case I can see that it wouldn’t work for our application. If that’s NOT the case and one of you could help walk me through the setup I would be willing to foot the bill to install it. I talked to the salesperson at Apple and he even logged onto the site but we weren’t able to get answers to these questions. Has anyone else had experience with these devices? Would this work?

TIA

If you're going to install the camera indoors, take a look at Dropcam.

I just bought one ($149) and it's incredibly easy to set up and also has a speaker and microphone.

You also have the option of making your camera public or private.

Dropcam

Btw, I bought mine at Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to contact someone who operates a webcam and ask how to set it up. There are lots of webcams in ports that watch cruise ship move in and out. this is one:

http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

The owner of this cam, and another in FLL, plus one in MIA, one in Port Canaveral, and one in NY Harbor, is Lou. His first cam is located on the balcony of his condo on the channel at Port Everglades. His came are contro9llable, although you have to get permission and instructions from him. CJ

You may think about looking into an IP Camera. Pretty much all you do is get it setup and either have it connect to your wireless, or you can connect it via a network cable. If you get one with POE (Power Over Ethernet) you can hook it to a network cable and not need to hook it to a power outlet.

IP Cameras are what most nice webcams online are using now a days. Just food for thought...

I thought they only sold Apple products in apple stores? The one I bought last year only one device can view it at a time. If you add another device, it will delete the previous one. And these things are not easy to program back to the device...usually consisting of resetting the camera and having to enter the login into of the local router all over again.

However, you can set it to motion setting and it will automatically record everytime motion is detected. When it has stopped, the device will automatically upload it to a YouTube account you program in during the setup process. I'd just create an account for this alone and share it with everyone.

I'll expound a little on the Dropcam only because I like it so much.

It's a Wi-Fi camera.

Set up entails:

Plugging it in, selecting your Wi-Fi network and naming your camera - done!

Other than initial setup, it does not need a computer.

Needs to be plugged into an outlet.

Has activity alert capabilities - motion and/or sound.

Has a speaker and microphone - comes in handy when you're out of town and want to talk to your cats :p

Has auto infrared for night time viewing - cat eyes get big and glow in the dark when they hear your voice :giggle:

Can be set to SD or HD.

Can be viewed on an infinite number of devices at one time including PCs, iOs, and Android - all you need to do is create a Dropcam acct. to view.

I bought this as a security and cat watching cam on my last trip - love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back