VIA timetables?

Discussion in 'Museum of Amtrak Timetables Discussion' started by Siegmund, Jun 20, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jun 20, 2019 #1

Siegmund

Siegmund

Siegmund

Train Attendant

Is there any repository comparable to www.timetables.org for VIA timetables, especially from the early years?

My own collection doesn't go back before 1990, and streamlinermemories.info has one from 1988... but the ones I'd be most interested in seeing are the ones before the first big round of cuts.

2. Jun 21, 2019 #2

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

There's no online library that I'm aware of, such as exists for Amtrak. Several sites have key historical timetables available, but they can be hit-or-miss and not always great quality scans. Canadian Railway Observations (.com) is one possibility. I have a box of them:), but that really doesn't help you.

3. Jun 26, 2019 #3

NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Conductor

Urban Sky, dogbert617 and Siegmund like this.
  4. Jun 26, 2019 #4

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

Nice find!

5. Jun 26, 2019 #5

Siegmund

Siegmund

Siegmund

Train Attendant

What a find! Glad I asked!

Would be nice if we could find a more visible location to host these, perhaps even make it part of the same site as the Amtrak collection.

Urban Sky likes this.
  6. Jun 26, 2019 #6

Siegmund

Siegmund

Siegmund

Train Attendant

...and having had a chance to browse these a little bit... I am amazed at how much service was still running in Canada in the late 70s.

I didn't know that Edmundston-Quebec survived until 1979, or that Chicoutimi and Senneterre service had been daily until 1981. I didn't know that Saskatoon to The Pas had EVER run, nor that there had been 2 routes from Winnipeg to The Pas both with service until 1981.

dogbert617 likes this.
  7. Jun 27, 2019 #7

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

IIRC (and will check those timetables against some of my own) the Senneterre service used to extend to Noranda/Rouyn where you could connect to Ontario Northland's long-gone overnight service to/from Toronto. You could create an interesting 2-day loop trip through some pretty remote country. It wasn't for an inexperienced rail traveller, but was certainly on my wish list when I was much younger.

8. Jun 27, 2019 #8

NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Conductor

jiml, aeh and Siegmund like this.
  9. Jun 27, 2019 #9

Siegmund

Siegmund

Siegmund

Train Attendant

Apparently the loop via Rouyn-Noranda was possible until 1981, the loop via Cochrane until quite recently.

I had always wanted to see that part of the world too but never have. I actually had a student from Chicoutimi in my class when I was teaching in Alaska. I learned I'd been pronouncing it wrong all my life...but she was quite amazed I knew where it was and had an interest in the area.

The amount of enroute switching these northern services did is amazing to me -- that patchwork of through cars was something that had ended a good 30 years previously on most US runs.

10. Jun 28, 2019 #10

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

11. Jul 25, 2019 #11

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

I rode that train last year, when they were running a dome car...
    But even without the dome, IIRC, the coach did have a limited meal service available...
    https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/fi...1-1_VIA_5633-15_Menus_Corridor_Cosmetique.pdf

Bob Dylan likes this.
  12. Jul 26, 2019 #12

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

Interesting. I was not aware they'd had a dome on either of those routes so recently. That would explain the ability to serve food, since otherwise that's the standard corridor menu - not seeing how they'd supply refrigeration, ice for drinks, etc. in a single coach. As recently as 2010 the two didn't run as a "J train", but rather as a regular train that was re-assembled in Hervey (lead loco moved to siding to wait for mid-section to leave, then attached to last couple of cars). At that time consist was usually loco, loco, bag, coach, lounge (occ. Skyline in summer), coach, bag. Not sure which branch the lounge continued on, but my bet would be Senneterre due to length. For years now though it hasn't been possible to pass from one train to the other.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  13. Jul 26, 2019 #13

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

jiml likes this.
  14. Jul 26, 2019 #14

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

If you read down, there are some photo's posted by another rider...that's yours truly wearing the Royal Caribbean cap...:)

15. Jul 26, 2019 #15

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

For those of you down South complaining about the heat and humidity, here's a video about the recent discussion on this thread. Before the "J train":

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  16. Jul 26, 2019 #16

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

That's great! I found a video of a special on that route from 2017 that had a Park car as well. Unfortunately, like your trip it's an exception.

May have to move this up on the bucket list.

17. Aug 22, 2019 #17

Urban Sky

U

Urban Sky

Train Attendant

It’s a shame you didn't tag me, as I also have a CN/CP collection:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1rriwxrhmll3lmr/AAB5P4McatYTnsEYzbLG5kK2a?dl=0

I’d be more than happy to have them hosted somewhere else than on my private Dropbox account. If you know a more accessible place, please let me know...!

18. Aug 25, 2019 #18

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

Maybe you could see if timetable world would post them. That’s where I use the 1952 official guide.