Very quick KIN-BOS turn for 2X

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
On 3/23, I decided to take a short turn from KIN to BBY to get 2X. The best day to avoid the rain scheduled before and after was Thursday 3/25. This was with the 3 days, so I could not qualify for the AAA fare, so I had to pay :eek: the regular full fare! My sister accompanied me, and being that she is 62 years old, qualifies for the senior rate.

I tried the senior rate for her ticket - and it gave me the 15% discount! :) Thus (as a hint to all the old fogies out there in AU land :lol: ) you do not need an advance purchase for the senior fare.

To get additional points :ph34r:I had booked 1 train at 10:02 AM KIN-PVD and a 2nd train at 11:50 AM PVD-BBY! However via my own stupidity, I missed the 1st train "by THAT much"! :angry: Then not thinking, I did not print those 2 tickets from the QT! :angry:

I came back to KIN for the next train at 11:28 AM. Of course that train was 15 minutes late! (Why couldn't the other train have been late? :huh: ) Knowing that I could buy tickets at the QT, I was thinking I could also do a multi-city purchase, but you can't (or I didn't see it). So I just bought a KIN-BBY ticket. Then I bought my sister's ticket, again trying the senior rate - and it took! :cool: (This was only about 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time! ;) )

#170 finally arrived into KIN about 11:45 AM. It had a HHP-8, BC, cafe and 6 coaches. We arrived BBY at about 12:45 PM.

Between KIN and PVD, I clocked #170 at 118 MPH. Between PVD and RTE, we went once 123 MPH! :cool: Isn't an AMI only rated for 125 MPH? :huh:

We had a lunch at Vox (less then 4 blocks from BBY) and caught the 3:35 PM back. Because I thought ahead, I had reservations for 2 trains (BBY-PVD and PVD-KIN). From previous experiences, I knew that I would earn 100 AGR points for each segment! And because I used the multi-city booking, it was the EXACT SAME FARE! ;)

When the Conductor questioned why we had 2 tickets, we explained we had planned to stop, but we had to get back sooner. He took both with no problem! :) I arrived back in KIN about 4:30 PM.

For this short turn (including the 2X and my Select bonus), I earned 675 AGR points! :p

This should satisfy my trip need for a couple of weeks! Luckily I'll be in PDX on 4/7 for some more short turns! :lol:

Do I dare say my plan for AGR points during the coming 'bonus' months?!?!

Oh, why the hell not... :D

A three segment 'lunch run' this Sunday for 600 pts.

A four segment 'lunch run' in mid-April (still 2X) for 800 pts.

Another four segment 'lunch run' after May 8 (3X) for 1200 pts.

CS from TAC to SJC in late May (already booked and 3X) for 925 pts.

3525 AGR points for a little more than $400 (the CS trip is the 'killer' :p ).

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back