Vermonter loses Thruway connection to Montréál

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

James

Just noticed while trying to book a trip from Montréal, QC to Washington, DC that from 30 October 2005 Amtrak has withdrawn the Thruway bus connection between Montréal and St. Albans, which currently provides a connection with train 54/55/56/57.

Although when I've used it last there were only five passengers on board the bus from St. Albans to Montréal, there had only been six on the entire train as far as St. Albans. Chatting to the driver of the bus (contracted to Vermont Transit I think?) he explained that the bus had been under threat for a long time...

A shame - surely the Vermonter will suffer a drop in passengers as a result?

*j*

I doubt it. Most people traveling between Montreal and New York are traveling to New York City, and the Adirondak's schedule is a more convenient time than the bus to St. Albans. Very few riding the Vermonter or the Adirondak are connection to and from trains traveling outside of the NEC, making the need for a passenger from Montreal HAVING TO BE on the Vermonter in order to make a LD train connection really isn't there. It's sad that an option has been lost, but the fact that the bus company quit providing the service means that they didn't get the return to make the venture worth their while. It's also important to note that Vermont Trailways is a subsidiary of Greyhound, and the loss of the thruway connection may be part of a larger Greyhound plan its costs. Greyhound's dropping of service routes and depots nationally led to a loss of a few other Amtrak thruway services throughout the country this year.

Back