Vermont for Christmas ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the Other Mike

Lead Service Attendant
I had the Issac Walton trip planned for brother and I then he says "What about Vermont ?

I've poked around on the internet for years looking at towns in Vermont and all the Bed & Breakfasts / OLD hotels etc.

I figured I'd ask here for advise.

1. What towns have YOU visited and good or bad reports

2. What places have YOU stayed and god or bad reports

a) Don't want to be anywhere big

b) rather rustic to modern places to stay

c) we don't ski

d) We can rent a car if needed

e) Classic Currier and Ives Christmas card setting a plus

To me, the ideal place would be an OLD hotel with resturant & bar with a large front porch overlooking pond with skaters.......within walking distance of other pups/eateries/shops etc

( naaaa not asking too much LOL )

OR, what else in the NorthEast would be better ? I hear the Newheart theme playing in the backround.

To me, the ideal place would be an OLD hotel with resturant & bar with a large front porch overlooking pond with skaters.......within walking distance of other pups/eateries/shops etc

( naaaa not asking too much LOL )
Been watching Funny Farm staring Chevy Chase (aka Andy)?

OR, what else in the NorthEast would be better ? I hear the Newheart theme playing in the backround.
Newhart? The opening sequence was actually filmed in New Hampshire.

I'm simply responding to "bookmark" the thread. I'm planning a New England trip within the next couple of years.

Ok well I don't know what you mean and I am too lazy to google "currier and ives", but have you considered the White Mountains in New Hampshire?

I personally have a few places that I love to visit in Jackson, NH. It is a beautiful area. I love the following hotels there:

Snowflake Inn http://www.thesnowflakeinn.com/

The WentWorth http://www.thewentworth.com/

The Christmas Farm inn: http://www.christmasfarminn.com/

There are lots of others as this is a super cute area. You can go for a horse drawn sleigh ride, for example, in the winter or go ice skating on a little pond. I have stayed at all three of the above places and found them to be lovely.

In Vermont, I stayed at this place and really liked it. It is just outside of Burlington, VT and they have a beautiful spa and an amazing restaurant. You

http://www.essexresortspa.com/

Your descriptions (sleigh rides & ice skating) are some of the scenes found in Currier & Ives paintings. They are popular for Christmas cards.

Your descriptions (sleigh rides & ice skating) are some of the scenes found in Currier & Ives paintings. They are popular for Christmas cards.
Ah ok, then what I am talking about for Jackson, NH is that!

If you are looking for a place in Vermont like that, I would also toss out Stowe, VT. It is an adorable town that does also have a ski mountain. I am not sure about the ice skating and the horse drawn sleighs there, but I am sure some time on the google could help. I personally have been to the Stoweflake and also to the Stowe Mountain Inn and found both to be very lovely.

I enjoyed several days in Brattleboro, Vermont a few years ago, during an enforced stay while a new transmission was being installed in our car. Nice downtown, good local beer, a bit hippyish.

I grew up in Vermont, and have not lived there for 40 years, so I'm not "up" on the hotels, but I am going to throw out Waitsfield/Warren VT. Definitely Currier and Ives, both have the old town center to walk around. Sugarbush Mountain has a gondola lift, so you can ride up and down as a tourist (no skis). Fantastic view from the top.

Re: a) Don't want to be anywhere big... Shouldn't be tough to meet this preference. :)

I've only stayed in a Hilton when in Burlington so can't offer any suggestions for something quaint there! I prefer Maine when it comes to New England. Check out the Brewster Inn in Dexter, Maine. Historic small town Maine and not too far from Moosehead Lake region. I realize the weather can be pretty tough in New England at that time of year though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all the comments.

It really doesn't have to be Vermont. Anywhere in New England that is serviced by Amtrak ( or close without more than a short rental car drive from a station )

It really doesn't have to be Vermont. Anywhere in New England that is serviced by Amtrak ( or close without more than a short rental car drive from a station )
Oops good point about being on a train route! I've been to New England for extended stays and always feel drawn to Maine more than the other states. There's a train route that goes from Boston to Freeport Maine which is the home of LL Bean. I've never stayed there but it's definitely a destination.

Oops good point about being on a train route! I've been to New England for extended stays and always feel drawn to Maine more than the other states. There's a train route that goes from Boston to Freeport Maine which is the home of LL Bean. I've never stayed there but it's definitely a destination.
Probably on the Vermonter? Or, Adirondack? Though suspect Vermonter would be more akin with Currier and Ives. ... might google each of the stops along the route and see what's available in terms of Inns or Hotels or B&Bs; or better google and look at the winter images for each stop and see what "feels" best. ...

Maybe under the heading of: one never appreciates what they have when they have it: grew up there, and thought nothing of it; now that I'm on the opposite coast, find the idea of such a trip very appealing. ;-) ;-(

We have stayed at the Trapp Family resort/hotel and found it very comfortable.

Good facilities, good food and good people. You will need a car or taxi.

I enjoyed several days in Brattleboro, Vermont a few years ago, during an enforced stay while a new transmission was being installed in our car. Nice downtown, good local beer, a bit hippyish.
I'll ditto this one! While I actually stayed 20 or so mins away from Brattleboro in the town of Wilmington, VT, Brattleboro was a very neat town. Most of which was walkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back