Vegas?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hippyman

Service Attendant
I just realized yesterday, that hoover dam has been closed to bus and truck traffic, ever since 9/11, which explains why I havent been able to book a trip thru Kingmans bus connection. Does anyone know if there is any other way to get to Vegas via amtrak? Considering amtraks recent statements, I dont think we'll be seeing rail service brought back to sin city any time soon, as for now tho, I just want to get there.

Does anyone know if there is any other way to get to Vegas via amtrak?
I believe there is an Am-Bus running between LA and Las Vegas. One of my neighbors on my recent SWC journey was taking that route to Vegas. I assume they will relax the bus/truck restrictions once the new bridge opens at the Hoover Dam, allowing traffic to get across without going over the dam itself.

Which way are you coming from?
huh.gif
I know the shuttle connection from Kingman is indeed intact. (There are many trip reports that included it.) However it ONLY connects with the SWC coming from CHI or going to CHI!
wink.gif
(It does not connect with the SWC to or from LA.) There is a bus from LV to LA.

The shuttle doesn't (and AFAIK) never did go over Hoover Dam! It turns off US 93 onto IIRC AZ 168 (I forget the route number) to Bullhead City, AZ. Then it crosses the Colorado River into Laughlin, NV and continues on NV 163 until it gets to US 95 - which goes right to LV!
wink.gif

huh.gif
I know the shuttle connection from Kingman is indeed intact. (There are many trip reports that included it.) However it ONLY connects with the SWC coming from CHI or going to CHI!
wink.gif
What is the difference between a train coming from Chicago and a train going to LA? Isn't it the same train? Ditto re a train going to Chicago or leaving from LA?

I don't quite understand what you mean.

Dan

Aloha

Due to the length of the bus ride between train and Vegas the connection only works between CHI and Vegas, going west the buss just doesn't work. Pissed me off as I wanted to connect with the SWC and Long Train Running on his trip west

huh.gif
wink.gif
What is the difference between a train coming from Chicago and a train going to LA? Isn't it the same train? Ditto re a train going to Chicago or leaving from LA?

Dan
I think he means that the Amtrak Thruway Service running between Kingman and Las Vegas only connects from Train 3 and to Train 4. (You can travel Chicago to/from Las Vegas, but not Los Angeles to/from Las Vegas.)

huh.gif
wink.gif

Dan
I think he means that the Amtrak Thruway Service running between Kingman and Las Vegas only connects from Train 3 and to Train 4. (You can travel Chicago to/from Las Vegas, but not Los Angeles to/from Las Vegas.)
Thanks so much for the clarification.

Dan

Yes, the shuttle meeting #3 does not start it's run from the LV airport! It begins it's run from the company's garage - IIRC in Lake Havasu City (LHC), AZ. Thus there is no way to get from LV to Kingman to meet #3 going west! Unless you want to walk or take a cab the 100+ miles!
ohmy.gif
And it's a different van that connects with #4, going from the LV airport to Kingman - and then returns to the garage!

BTW - LHC is over 150 miles south of LV! Kingman is between the two.
wink.gif

The Kingman - Las Vegas shuttle leaves Kingman at 11:50pm, meeting #3 which arrives at 11:45pm (yes, it waits for the train). It goes to Laughlin, NV and then Las Vegas.

The Las Vegas - Kingman shuttle arrives at Kingman at 1:30am, meeting #4 which departs at 2:13am. It does not return to Vegas.

In theory you could go to Vegas via #4 if you laid over in Kingman for 21.5 hours. Even if the shuttle did return to Vegas, the whole trip is much longer than the bus up I-15, so I think they've concluded they wouldn't get enough business for the additional run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back