Value Of The "Rule buster"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim55

Service Attendant
I have a "need" to travel at the end of December. I thought I'd use up some points. The date was during a blackout period but I could use a "rule buster". NOT if you want a bedroom (sleepers were available), the rule buster is for a coach seat only. I checked with another AGR agent and got the same story. So I bought a first class ticket to depart but wanted to use points to return on 1 Jan(not a blackout date) "oh you can't! You'll still be on the train on 2 Jan"(start of another blackout period). Was it always this way?

No, I don't think that agent knows the whole story. You can start your trip before the blackout date & still be on the train during a blackout date. I've done this before during the Thanksgiving blackouts. Try another agent.

but wanted to use points to return on 1 Jan(not a blackout date) "oh you can't! You'll still be on the train on 2 Jan"(start of another blackout period). Was it always this way?
That agent is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!
mad.gif

It depends on when you board THAT train! If it's not a blackout date, it's OK to ride THAT train using points! But you can not board a connecting train on a blackout date!

Example you're going from WAS to DEN. You board the CL on 1/1 (non-blackout date) - that is OK to use points. You then connect to the CZ on 1/2 (a blackout date) - you can not use points for that segment ALONE!

Back