Value of Redeeming Points versus Upgrading on train for a sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traingeek

Train Attendant
I have enough points for a Coach ticket between BAL-ATL. I would like to do a sleeper, though. I would probably have to buy 5,000 points (unless there is a double point thing happens again in the summer) for the trip on September 2nd (Night before Dragon Con). It is currently a $178 charge for the Sleeper upgrade, if I bought both. Is it a better for me to wait and buy the points or get the coach ticket now (because it is so busy because of the large conference that weekend in Atlanta probably) and do an onboard upgrade (if available).

The Crescent fills up usually between WAS and ATL, so I'd say an onboard upgrade chance is close to nil! If the up-fare is only $178, that is 3.56¢ per point for those 5K. If you buy 5K, it will cost 2.75¢ per point. I consider that a good "rate of interest" And if 2 are going, it's even better, since the rail fare and all meals in the Dining Car costs the same # of points!

I'd say go ahead and buy the points! ;)

Back