Utah, Colorado river and Moab.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Awoke in Grand Junction, Colorado, to the sound of rain hammering down, and the swish of tyres on the road outside. (Another cheapo motel without double glazing!)

Packed my kettle up again:

DSCF3414.JPG

Today I am heading down towards Flagstaff, and the main road west is the 70, no other roads look viable from here. Once I left Grand Junction, the traffic thinned out and in no time I came to the junction for Cisco and Moab, the 128.

This 128 road runs for many miles alongside the Colorado River, which was rather full and fast flowing with recent rains. Another stunning drive!

The river has cut a deep canyon in the red rock, and the road follows this, sometimes high above, sometimes almost alongside, with towering cliffs on either side.

DSCF3587.JPG

As the river and road diverge, the weather sculpted mountains dominate the view.

Today has been mostly heavy cloud, I can only imagine the extra impact seeing these outcrops in sunshine against a blue sky would give.

DSCF3637.JPG

Another day of short sharp intense downpours too.

Moab town was fairly bustling despite the rain, many outdoor pursuit shops, hiring off road vehicles, etc.

A steady drive south along191, and decided to stop for the night in Blanding.

Every time I got back in the car today I said to myself "That's enough pictures"... but another view a mile or two later always seemed to be worth just one more shot, and again, and again...

Miles progressed today have not been many, but a pleasing way to spend the day, in my opinion!

I will have to be stricter tomorrow, or I may never get through Monument Valley!

Few more pics: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152748532009120.1073741848.682004119&type=1&l=ec5134ab11

Ed.

Wow, on account of the rain, if you hang on a couple of days you might have more desert wildflowers! Not carpets like in the spring, but enough to be worth getting out of the car. See the pages with recent updates for locations. The Colorado full of water looks great.

Been enjoying all of your trip reports and photo albums.

Back