Using transportation vouchers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eee

Train Attendant
I have an "electronic Transportation Voucher" for $200 as compensation for a really late train.

Now that I try to use it, I see it has some rather extreme restrictions. Any tips on getting around this?

I don't normally take long-distance/sleeper trips. I was planning on using it for a few short-ish trips (STL-CHI, NYP-Hartford). These are nowhere near $200 total.

Amtrak's site doesn't appear to let me add multiple trips to the cart and pay in one fell swoop.

Is there anything I'm missing here, any other options, or am I just forced to use this for some travel that I don't really want (like really pricey business class, which is $91 vs. $27 for coach STL-CHI)?

Amtrak's site doesn't appear to let me add multiple trips to the cart and pay in one fell swoop.
I'm pretty sure this is true.

And although Amtrak frequently changes the terminology and limitations of the good will vouchers; I was not aware that you could apply them via the internet like an eVoucher. The term "electronic" was always sort of phony, meaning that it was stored electronically and that when you call, the agent could look it up and apply it. Not only that it was confusing because a normal person would confuse "electronic" with the "e" in eVoucher. The "e" actually means "exchange"

Prior to the electronic voucher, you received a paper voucher that could only be applied at a staffed station, needless to say a big limitation for customers not located near a staffed station.

What you can do is "book" a trip (to anywhere) that exceeds that voucher amount - then later cancel that trip. Your $200 will become an e-voucher that you can partially use, with the remainder issued as a new e-voucher!

Back