Using multi-city reservations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meme

Train Attendant
I'm planning an excursion from S.C. to Pittsburgh. After a few days in Pittsburgh, we're thinking of visiting Jim Thorpe, Pa., and returning home from there. So would I make this a multi-city reservation? And what station serves Jim Thorpe?

i will let the more knowledgeable answer the ticket question but is there really a jim thorpe,pa. i didn't know that. i have always been interested in him and what our society did to him. i know he went to school in carlisle,pa.

I'm planning an excursion from S.C. to Pittsburgh. After a few days in Pittsburgh, we're thinking of visiting Jim Thorpe, Pa., and returning home from there. So would I make this a multi-city reservation? And what station serves Jim Thorpe?
Meme,

You're correct in that this will end up either as a multi-city reservation, or perhaps just two separate reservations.

Unfortunately, there is no Amtrak service in Jim Thorpe, PA. The closest station is in Paoli, PA, which is about 80 miles away (1 1/2 hours); Paoli is a small commuter station on Amtrak's Keystone/Pennsylvanian line. If you're wanting to check bags, however, you may want to consider just going to Philadelphia, where you'll be catching your train to South Carolina anyway, since there's no checked baggage in Paoli.

As for getting from Pittsburgh to Jim Thorpe to Paoli or Philadelphia, you're most likely looking at a one-way car rental (although you could consider just taking the Pennsylvanian from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia, renting a car in Philly (there are a number of car rental agencies in the Philadelphia station), and save some money on the mileage).

Rafi

If you wanted to make the trip completely on transit, you could take the train to Philadelphia and then take a bus to Jim Thorpe. The following company has scheduled service that stops there:

http://www.susquehannabus.com/schedules.html

You could book this as a multicity, the only downside is you'll get all your tickets on departure, so you'll have to carry them around. I'd just book three reservations: SC to Pittsburgh (one-way), Pittsburgh to Philly, and Philly to to SC. That way you can just get the tickets as you go and don't need to worry about carrying them around and potentially loosing them. But if you'd rather just get all the tickets upfront, then multicity is the way to go.

And what station serves Jim Thorpe?
Jim Thorpe, PA is about equal distance from Harrisburg, and Philadelphia, and the stations in between. (4 to 6 hrs by bus).

You might choose according to how you plan to travel. Renting a car? Which station has a route you would like to drive?

Taking a bus? Which station offers a good connection for you?

And what station serves Jim Thorpe?
Jim Thorpe, PA is about equal distance from Harrisburg, and Philadelphia, and the stations in between. (4 to 6 hrs by bus).

You might choose according to how you plan to travel. Renting a car? Which station has a route you would like to drive?

Taking a bus? Which station offers a good connection for you?

Thanks all, for the helpful details - what a terrific site this is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back