Using AGR points for friends/family

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_C

Lead Service Attendant
Hi, apologies if this has been asked, I searched and didn't find an answer.

I have a lot of AGR points built up that I would like to use for gifts of travel this holiday season for friends and family. On the website I see you can transfer points to others with AGR for pretty steep dollars. ($100 per 10,000 points). I did a test booking and it wouldn't let me put in someone else's name as the primary traveler on a redemption, only a a secondary traveler with me as the primary. So is that pretty much it? I have to travel to redeem points or pay the high gifting points fees? Or will they accommodate you if you call? Thanks!

Hi, apologies if this has been asked, I searched and didn't find an answer.

I have a lot of AGR points built up that I would like to use for gifts of travel this holiday season for friends and family. On the website I see you can transfer points to others with AGR for pretty steep dollars. ($100 per 10,000 points). I did a test booking and it wouldn't let me put in someone else's name as the primary traveler on a redemption, only a a secondary traveler with me as the primary. So is that pretty much it? I have to travel to redeem points or pay the high gifting points fees? Or will they accommodate you if you call? Thanks!
Yes, either travel with them and your points will cover both passengers, or pay to transfer the points to them.

I just used my points to put my sister in a roommate CLE-NYP. She already had a coach reservation which they refunded to her credit card.

I haven't tried recently, but I've bought tickets for unaccompanied friends many times in the past.

I just did an experiment, making a points booking for my friend "Roger Worthless". There are two steps that might be confusing. First, it prefilled my info, and I had to erase it. Later, it complained that Roger's name didn't match my AGR number, so I deleted the number (the ticket was still being billed to my number). I got all the way to "purchase" with no problems before cancelling.

Back