US-blueprint streamliner vs EMU crashtest

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyuri_ft

Service Attendant
:eek: does not look very good. The 1st car is a corrugated-side streamliner made in Germany (Ammendorf) to U.S. blueprints for Soviet/Chinese market. 2nd car is an EMU made in Riga.

Which car you would rather sit in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWTZzuRxFmA

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, eastern bloc safety engineering... witness the Fiat 125, designed in the sixties and produced as a Lada in Russia and an FSO in Poland until the nineties...

But then again, crank up the speed of the train from about 40km/h to about 100km/h, and even a modern day 5* safety rated car hasn't a chance, as demonstrated (in typically satirical fashion, mocking the British penchant for high visibility jackets and hard helmets) by the team of the BBC TV show Top Gear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCrHwqGfkYs&NR

*j* :blink:

Ah, eastern bloc safety engineering... witness the Fiat 125,
That was actually a Fiat IMHO, not Lada. Lada is called now "Chevy" :unsure:

FSO in Poland until the nineties...
It's clearly an M62, just the Polish M62 has different pain scheme. I like the 1950-s/1960-s "showelnose" TZ-3 diesel' look

diesel10.jpg

better but ask 10 people you will get 20 answers what looks "cool".

But anyway, IMHO this shows, an argument "that communist cr@p is a junk anywy" is completely wrong. The cars in question are following the streamliner design even today and even with adaptations and changes they prove, the designers in the U.S. did a terrific work in 1930-s. Essentially it is even pretty unpatriotic (and stupid, too) to turn the back to Russian and Chinese car manufacturers: these are essentially re-incarnation of great streamliners.

Closing the Bombardier factory at Ammendorf, Germany a few years ago (+letting so many people go) was an other dumb move to say the least: Amendorf was contracted to make these wide-body cars.

---------

Addition: Helmut just provided a pointer at an Austrian forum to his pix on www.railfaneurope.net

Looking at couch pix I cannot chase away the tought - it's 1930-s America today. Hope, it will be "back to the future" one day. These are corrugated-side steel cars, not lightweight thingies.

20060916_160.jpg

20060916_155.jpg

20060916_158.jpg

20060916_156.jpg

Am I crazy or it's resembling the Amtrak-seat?

20060916_157.jpg

This is included in the ticket price (bi-lingual menu), I feel I have to visit kitchen now...My vote is No.2

20060916_163.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back