Upper level bar on Sightseer Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other hand, what if they showed documentaries on the area you were traveling through?

Then, again, Amtrak could have local wifi (unconnected to the internet) that provided the same information directly to your phone anywhere in the country...
I would ptrefer to see the real scenery outside the train windows, after all, that is part of the reason for travelling. I do find TV screens attract the attention to themselves.

I can see the value of some sort of headphone audio recording, or via a phone headphone describing the local scenery, as per the Rails and Trails type thing. (I find the R&T folks a bit irritating at times, even though their efforts are well intentioned).

When I was on a recent trip on the AutoTrain the downstairs lounge attendant had to come upstairs several times to hawk her services because most passengers had no idea there was a bar down there. Someone (probably her) put a crudely written note on the upper level telling people there was a bar downstairs. You would think by now Amtrak could come up with a better sign at least.

On the other hand, what if they showed documentaries on the area you were traveling through?

Then, again, Amtrak could have local wifi (unconnected to the internet) that provided the same information directly to your phone anywhere in the country. Would be nice to be able to select a specific page that provides video and/or audio and/or information about the Moffat Tunnel or Glacier Park as you were transiting it or shortly before you reached it.

But, then, this would be from a company that wants to cut its way to profitability.
That would be great

I've been traveling the rails for about 12 years, have never seen the upper level bar used, other than maybe once where the car attendant was doing some sort of event and had a speaker system set up... (now that I remember that was a park guide talking about a national park we were traveling through).

I always thought it was annoying going down the narrow stairs, almost always having someone coming up said stairs while I was trying to go down, or vice versa, to get to the cafe.

Viewliner I sleepers had TVs in each room.
I remember being a little kid in the 90s and was in shock as I saw the little TVs in each roomette, it's a real shame they don't have any kind of monitor in the new Viewliner 2s or even have something like Delta Studio where you can watch content on your own electronic device.

I remember being a little kid in the 90s and was in shock as I saw the little TVs in each roomette, it's a real shame they don't have any kind of monitor in the new Viewliner 2s or even have something like Delta Studio where you can watch content on your own electronic device.
I think it'd be more used if they just had free WiFi in the Viewliner II's. Then they can watch whatever they want

When I rode the International back in 2003 the upstairs SL bar was vacant across Michigan. After we crossed into Canada and Via Rail took over the train, they had someone set up the bar and sell drinks all the way to Toronto. He had a great selection, was really professional, and was pretty busy the whole time.

If you are from Norway or Germany you leave it on the beach chair when you get home from the disco at 3 am. That way the chair is waiting for you when you get there at noon.
No, I wasn't irritated by it, not at all...
LOL!
Well it is is funny NOW.

Otherwise you go at 6 am and leave a towel on your chair. Oh wait - that's not Amtrak!

If you are from Norway or Germany you leave it on the beach chair when you get home from the disco at 3 am. That way the chair is waiting for you when you get there at noon.
No, I wasn't irritated by it, not at all...
LOL!
Well it is is funny NOW.
I wish I could have given you both a "like" and a laughing face. That was perfect. Cancun too, btw.

When I rode the International back in 2003 the upstairs SL bar was vacant across Michigan. After we crossed into Canada and Via Rail took over the train, they had someone set up the bar and sell drinks all the way to Toronto. He had a great selection, was really professional, and was pretty busy the whole time.
Now there's a fond memory, although no S/L this time:
img779.jpg
We used to get hi-levels too before they went west.
19961012_08_Amtrak_E._Lansing,_MI.jpg
"If you open it they will come."

Last edited:
Otherwise you go at 6 am and leave a towel on your chair. Oh wait - that's not Amtrak!
&
If you are from Norway or Germany you leave it on the beach chair when you get home from the disco at 3 am. That way the chair is waiting for you when you get there at noon. No, I wasn't irritated by it, not at all...LOL!
If you end up with a bunch of "saver" towels blocking use of otherwise empty chairs simply move one set of towels to another set of chairs and let whoever arrives first lay claim to the now double-booked seats. Most of the time nobody shows up but a reliable poker face is advantageous if someone gets wise to your shenanigans.

Last edited:
They ran Superliner's to Toronto? I wasn't aware of that. I recall Amfleet and LRC equipment...

Talk about a person who didn't buy onboard drinks. I met a guy onboard a few years back that carried along an ice tea bottle "flask" filled with Jack Daniels. He told me that the drinks were too expensive so he drank it out in the open and everyone thought that he was just drinking tea. While I wouldn't recommend this technique, you'd have to admit that you'd have to be into some serious drinking to take this route.

Me either, I dont recall seeing any Superliners on this Route, but jiml's pic is proof they did use them in Canada!
Coincidentally in sorting old files I just ran across a letter from one of the western rail passenger groups complaining that the CZ was selling out and that no extra cars were available because they were being used on the International. Of course, it was the typical Amtrak car shortage, eventually solved by raising fares and discontinuing the International.

Because basically everybody just downloads content onto their tablet or computer before the trip and watches whatever they want anyway.

Because basically everybody just downloads content onto their tablet or computer before the trip and watches whatever they want anyway.
I loaded up my tablet with movies and reading material before my cross-country Meteor-CL-CZ trip 2 years ago.

I didn't finish a single movie or book. I was too busy looking out the window.

I think it'd be more used if they just had free WiFi in the Viewliner II's. Then they can watch whatever they want

I’m sure they’ll have Wi-Fi available at some point. Believe me, I just rode the new Viewliner II’s and it would’ve been criminal for them to delay deploying those cars until they had Wi-Fi installed.

Amtrak has enough new cars sitting on the sidelines for one excuse or another. Let’s get these new cars all into service in the function in which they were originally intended.

They ran Superliner's to Toronto? I wasn't aware of that. I recall Amfleet and LRC equipment...
Me either, I dont recall seeing any Superliners on this Route, but jiml's pic is proof they did use them in Canada!

There were two times where they ran for extended periods and the paint in the pics gives those away. They would also show up sporadically as happens on other Michigan trains. An earlier poster referred to having a Sightseer lounge, but I think they were pretty rare. A Santa Fe hi-level was typical at first, giving way to a coach-cafe later. I probably rode this train more than any other and most times it would be standard Horizon, Amfleet or LRC stock with whatever locomotive was available that day (Amtrak or VIA).
Some of the consists were bizarre, with all sorts of mixed equipment, as shown below. The best catch was the LRC coach and bar car that were manufactured for Amtrak, then sold to VIA. The exteriors were painted VIA, but the interiors were all-Amtrak and were much "plusher".
1.jpg
The Wikipedia page for The International has some other interesting lash-ups, including LRC locomotives.

What I recall from that lease, was they got four cars...a sleeper, diner, coach, and coach baggage, but no Sightseer Lounge. Not sure if they got an HEP equipped F40 or two, or not....

What I recall from that lease, was they got four cars...a sleeper, diner, coach, and coach baggage, but no Sightseer Lounge. Not sure if they got an HEP equipped F40 or two, or not....
You're right on the consist. I can't recall what the motive power was and those parts of my old Rail Travel News collection and correspondence files aren't accessible right now.

Back