Upgrading to a sleeper on board with free ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traingeek

Train Attendant
I have a free ticket on the Silver Star in a roomette with Amtrak Guest Rewards (all those weekend trips between BAL and WAS pay off). A Roomette looks small for a single person though. This leads to my question. Could I buy an upgrade between BAL and KIS to a Sleeper with a Free ticket? Would it make better sense to buy the points and redeem to a Bedroom? Am I simply underestimating the space in a Roomette? Thanks for the help.

A roomette IS a sleeper accommodation, designed for two people. Although it may appear small for a single person, I'm pretty sure there are no half-person fares.

When you say "free ticket", do you mean you have a ticket that was purchased with points from your amtrak guest rewards account? If so, you can certainly upgrade to the bedroom for 5,000 more points. As long as you haven't printed out your tickets yet, you can just call and as long as there are rooms available and you have the points, you can get the upgrade.

Although, the roomette is plenty of room for one person, there is a lot more room in the bedroom.

To answer your question about buying an upgrade on board, you can do that if you like.

However, you should know that Amtrak calculates how much you pay for upgrading from a Roomette to a Bedroom, by taking the low bucket price of the Bedroom and subtracting the price you paid for the Roomette. You would then pay the difference. In this case, since you used AGR points you have officially paid zero for the roomette. So you would have to pay the low bucket price for the Bedroom, and essentially you'd be throwing away your Roomette award.

I'd stick with the Roomette and save money for a future trip :) There's plenty of room for a single traveler, and being a Viewliner, you can sleep "upstairs" with plenty of room and view and keep the seats "downstairs" for late night lounging.

Back