Upgrading part of multi-city-trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruudkeulers

Service Attendant
So we have this multi-city-itinerary from NYP-SFC. There's one tricky segment in it: we take the Maple Leaf from NYP to NFL, watch the falls and turn back the next day by Greyhound to BUF in order to catch the LSL to CHI that same evening.

(BTW: we arrive in Buffalo at 7.45 pm and leave from B.-Depew at 11.59 pm: any good ideas what to do in the meantime?)

We've reserved Coach-seats on the LSL because we figured we'd be tired enough to sleep in our seats and as we have a hotelbed the next morning in Chicago, why pay for a roomette? But suppose I wanted to upgrade, is that possible without having to cancel the whole itinerary? Amtrak is very clear on any cancellations, but I can't find anything on upgrading.

Thanks!

If you're asking about upgrading while on the train, while it is possible (just ask the conductor while onboard), it is very possible that (especially with an 11:59 PM departure), all the rooms on the train may be sold prior to you getting on. If you want to upgrade before, you can also do that.

But as an aside, I took the LSL last month from BUF-CHI in coach. With the departure at midnight and arrival in the morning, I personally would rather save the $$ and go coach. (I think I paid $56 instead of something like $150-200! :eek: )

I would imagine that upgrading would be straight forward, as your booking is "in the system" just call Amtrak. (You would also be able to upgrade when you board the train, if space is available).

Please be aware that the Depew station is not in town, so you should allow time to get there..

Ed B)

If you're asking about upgrading while on the train, while it is possible (just ask the conductor while onboard), it is very possible that (especially with an 11:59 PM departure), all the rooms on the train may be sold prior to you getting on. If you want to upgrade before, you can also do that.
But as an aside, I took the LSL last month from BUF-CHI in coach. With the departure at midnight and arrival in the morning, I personally would rather save the $$ and go coach. (I think I paid $56 instead of something like $150-200! :eek: )
That's what I thought in the first place, but I was just wondering: IF I want to upgrade, how am I going to do that.

I would imagine that upgrading would be straight forward, as your booking is "in the system" just call Amtrak. (You would also be able to upgrade when you board the train, if space is available).Please be aware that the Depew station is not in town, so you should allow time to get there..

Ed B)
Thanks Ed, the Depew station being out of town is the main problem here. The last couple of weeks the LSL seems to be delayed quite a lot in Depew (up to 70 mts or more) and it's not the cosiest station to be waiting for a train at midnight. So I was hoping for some good ideas to spend the evening in Buffalo AND be on time for the (perhaps delayed) LSL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last summer, I upgraded on leg of our trip which was on 448. I upgraded from coach to business class. When I got my tickets on my first day of travel, there was an extra one that covered the upgrade only. So I had to present the coach ticket plus the upgrade ticket.

Not sure if that is how they will do it for you, but maybe.

Hi,

Well I visited Buffalo a few years ago with my girlfriend, we came from Chicago to Depew and left from Exchange street to New York Penn.

I remember many of the larger old houses being quite dilapidated, but very interesting and individual, architecturally.

It seemed quite a happening place, a lot of students, bars, and slightly alternative vibe. The bus station isn’t too cool an area though.

I wonder if you might not prefer to spend the evening near the falls and go direct to the Depew station.

There is another non greyhound bus service.

http://www.nfta.com/metro/

We used this local bus to the falls from downtown Buffalo, unfortunately, we alighted in a one way street and had a real job to find anyone who knew where to catch a bus back in the other direction!

The falls were magnificent, and one can walk into Canada across the "rainbow bridge".

Cheers,

Ed. B)

So we have this multi-city-itinerary from NYP-SFC. There's one tricky segment in it: we take the Maple Leaf from NYP to NFL, watch the falls and turn back the next day by Greyhound to BUF in order to catch the LSL to CHI that same evening.(BTW: we arrive in Buffalo at 7.45 pm and leave from B.-Depew at 11.59 pm: any good ideas what to do in the meantime?)

We've reserved Coach-seats on the LSL because we figured we'd be tired enough to sleep in our seats and as we have a hotelbed the next morning in Chicago, why pay for a roomette? But suppose I wanted to upgrade, is that possible without having to cancel the whole itinerary? Amtrak is very clear on any cancellations, but I can't find anything on upgrading.

Thanks!

ruudkeulers-

It is possible to add the upgrade through Amtrak on the telephone, but be forewarned that they refund the whole trip on your credit card, and re-bill the card to include the segment that you upgraded.

I did this in March for a trip in September. I tried to get Amtrak just to add the roomette for that segment without all the refunding and re-billing, but they said they were only allowed to do it that way. I assume that means that the earned guest miles will have to be taken away and re-added with the change.

It all seems a bit backward. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't make the change and just take my chances sleeping in the coach.

Best of luck with your trip, and ENJOY.

nitzotz

So we have this multi-city-itinerary from NYP-SFC. There's one tricky segment in it: we take the Maple Leaf from NYP to NFL, watch the falls and turn back the next day by Greyhound to BUF in order to catch the LSL to CHI that same evening.(BTW: we arrive in Buffalo at 7.45 pm and leave from B.-Depew at 11.59 pm: any good ideas what to do in the meantime?)

Thanks!

ruudkeulers-

It is possible to add the upgrade through Amtrak on the telephone, but be forewarned that they refund the whole trip on your credit card, and re-bill the card to include the segment that you upgraded.

I did this in March for a trip in September. I tried to get Amtrak just to add the roomette for that segment without all the refunding and re-billing, but they said they were only allowed to do it that way. I assume that means that the earned guest miles will have to be taken away and re-added with the change.

It all seems a bit backward. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't make the change and just take my chances sleeping in the coach.

nitzotz
Thanks Nitzotz, I already feared something like that would happen, so I'll take my chances and go for an upgrade onboard. Or, like you did, settle for coach.

Thanks!

ruudkeulers-

nitzotz

Depends on whether you have a paper ticket or not. If you have a paper ticket they will upgrade you and collect the dferrence the day of travel. If not, they will reticket and ask for your credit card to run the whole ticket over and credit back the old fare.

Thanks Nitzotz, I already feared something like that would happen, so I'll take my chances and go for an upgrade onboard. Or, like you did, settle for coach.
When I went for my upgrade, there first idea was to do exactly that. I then straight up told them I did not want to cancel all the other legs because it would change my fare. She then said she could just ticket the upgrade and that is what she did.

I recommend call them, explaining you do not want to cancel the whole trip and rebook because of the chance of a price change, and see if they will help you. There are probably some that will and some that won't, but it won't hurt to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back