Upgrading from Roomette to Bedroom en route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
Have any of you upgraded your Roomette to a Bedroom (not from coach to sleeper) en route? If so, how is the upgrade calculated? I will be taking #97 from WAS-KIS with a roomette for which I paid $187. As of right now the Bedroom is listed at $488. Both of these sleeper prices are at the lowest price (bucket). Assuming that the price is still the same when we get under way from WAS, will I be able to upgrade to the Bedroom for $244(1/2 the lowest bucket price)?

If indeed you're correct that the low bucket price of the bedroom is $488, then you'll pay the difference between the $187 you paid for the roomette and the $488, or a total of $301. And that assumes that the $187 you quoted was just the price of the roomette, without railfare included.

The 1/2 price way of doing upgrades went out the window several years ago. Now any onboard upgrade is always the low bucket price, regardless of what bucket level the room was selling at prior to departure.

Thanks Alan for the information. I was not informed that the upgrade discount en route was suspended. I was looking forward to upgrading to a bedroom at a reasonable fee, but I will not pay $300+ to do so.

Honestly, all depends....

I have upgraded many times like that in the last year. And have paid anwhere from $50 to $150. Nothing more than that. And I can tell ya, low bucket was higher in each case...all depends on the crew and what they get the reservation center to buy off on.

Honestly, all depends....
I have upgraded many times like that in the last year. And have paid anwhere from $50 to $150. Nothing more than that. And I can tell ya, low bucket was higher in each case...all depends on the crew and what they get the reservation center to buy off on.
Well you also need to track where you were in terms of the roomette bucket. If you had a middle bucket on the roomette, and upgrade to the low bucket bedroom, the difference will be minimal. In fact it is actually possible to have paid more for your roomette than what the low bucket price for a bedroom is. In that case IIRC, the minimum charge to upgrade is $50.

And of course keep in mind that the low bucket is a moving target. With each passing station, the amount of the low bucket price for the remainder of the trip in a bedroom goes down.

Now any onboard upgrade is always the low bucket price, regardless of what bucket level the room was selling at prior to departure.
I am going to thread on thin ice here, and dare to say "are you sure?" :huh:

I was reading elsewhere, that starting earlier this year, Amtrak changed to highest bucket pricing for onboard upgrades. Of course, no one has offically confirmed that yet so it could be total BS.

Now any onboard upgrade is always the low bucket price, regardless of what bucket level the room was selling at prior to departure.

I was reading elsewhere, that starting earlier this year, Amtrak changed to highest bucket pricing for onboard upgrades. Of course, no one has offically confirmed that yet so it could be total BS.
Actually, I think it was said to have changed to the CURRENT bucket pricing, not the highest. That has been discussed around here as well, but no one has confirmed it with experience that I have read.

Actually, I think it was said to have changed to the CURRENT bucket pricing, not the highest. That has been discussed around here as well, but no one has confirmed it with experience that I have read.
This is only a rumor. As Alan said in another thread-- the last time Amtrak made a major change to the on board upgrades they made sure everybody knew about it-- given that that NOBODY has said anything to the contrary for weeks it is to be inferred that this is a false rumor and that Amtrak is sticking and will stick to the current system for the forseeable future.

Two years ago, EB, Chi-Sea, upgraded from roomette to bedroom at lowest bucket price for bedroom. (Bedroom was at highest bucket price) Asked nicely when the Conductor took my ticket in the Metropolitan Lounge about the upgrade. Upon departing Chicago, checked with sleeping car attendant as to exactly what bedroom(s) were open for my entire journey and informed her as to my desire to upgrade. Conductor did not forget me, and stopped by to check to be sure I was the passenger wanting the upgrade. She was back with me within 10 minutes with price. I took the bedroom and gave the Conductor my cc to charge the price difference. My cc was never charged by Amtrak for the upgrade. I either got lucky, or someone felt sorry for me.

Last year, TE, Chi-LAUS, upgraded from roomette to bedroom at lowest bucket price. (Bedroom was at next to highest bucket price). I checked with Customer Service Counter in Chicago Uniion Station regarding the upgrade about 30 minutes prior to boarding TE. CSR gave me the price which was the lowest bucket price (she actually told me this, but I already knew). I took the bedroom, and she made the necessary change in the reservation. Was then sent over to the ticket counter to actually exchange the ticket for the new ticket showing the bedroom and to pay the price difference, which was something like $160.00.

Three weeks ago, Silver Star, Orl-Was, wanted to upgrade from roomette to bedroom. (Bedroom was at highest bucket price). Checked with sleeping car attendant for availability of bedroom, since there are only two plus handicapped on a viewliner sleeping car One was available entire journey. Attendant informed Conductor who stopped by after leaving Winter Park, as I was told he would do. Conductor was back in about 5 to 10 minutes with price, which was the highest bucket price. I thanked him for checking and declined bedroom. Bedroom did stay empty all the way to Washington DC.

Always ask Conductor politely, which I know you would. Also, you might inform the sleeping car attendant that you are interested in the upgrade, he can check his passenger manifest to see if one is available for the entire journey, or just a portion of it. I also call Amtrak about an hour before train departure to check on the availablity of a bedroom and the price I would be charged for it if I changed the reservation over the phone at that time. You can always go on line and check too. This way I can check to see if it is even worth asking for an upgrade, and the price I am given on board compared to the price I am given an hour prior to departure -- if I am being given the lowest bucket price for the upgrade or the highest bucket price. I usually know beforehand what the bedroom bucket prices are.

So you can read, it has worked different ways for me. I will say, however, all Conductors have been very nice and prompt with checking the price for me.

Good luck, and hope you get the upgrade for the price you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back