Upgrades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigbucbob

Next spring, my wife and I plan to travel from Raleigh to Miami on the Silver Star. We have a roomette but the Mrs gets a little clostrophobic in such tight quarters. The larger rooms are considerably more expensive. Have any of you had any experience asking for upgrades after boarding? Is the upcharge less than buying the room in advance? Thank you.

The on board reduced price upgrade is no longer done. They charge whatever the room is going for at the moment.

Today (as an example) the difference in fares may be $100. By the time your trip comes along, the price difference may be $500! (And that assumes any are left - remember there are only 2 per car - meaning only 4 on the Star and 6 on the Meteor per train!) So if you wanta bedroom, I'd recommend booking now!

Wait until the new cars come! The toilet/sink will be gone, replaced by one down the hall. The rooms will be even smaller.

Check into the price of two roomettes and if cheaper than a BR, see if you can get one across from the other and then you can leave the doors and curtain open and have a more open feeling.

There will actually be a bit more usable interior space due to the lack of toilet; and the stairs to the upper bunk will be slightly easier to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back