Upgrades and Low Bucket 25% off fare

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acela150

Super Buff
I was on the phone with Amtrak trying to upgrade the reservation I have from RTE to PAO for tomorrow morning. They told me it's not an upgradeable ressy. It's the 25% off fare. I've done this before. Any ideas on if this is a bad agent or is it correct and I got lucky?

This was always the problem with the 25% off fare being the only one offered on the website: You could get forced into a non-refundable, non-upgradable, conditions-attached "special" fare.

(This had an ironic effect on my behavior: Specials like that are generally designed to encourage advance booking, but as a result I wouldn't even consider booking until I knew I was inside 14 days lest I get stuck with a bad reservation)

This was addressed by AGR insider on flyer talk. I think the E bucket on the NEC regional allowed upgrades. Check flyertalk to confirm.

I can't remember if I've used 'upgrade' coupons with the 'NEC discount', but I know I've used 'companion' coupons with said discount in the past.

If policy has changed, it could be part of Boardman's drive towards greater 'revenue enhancement.'

I was on the phone with Amtrak trying to upgrade the reservation I have from RTE to PAO for tomorrow morning. They told me it's not an upgradeable ressy. It's the 25% off fare. I've done this before. Any ideas on if this is a bad agent or is it correct and I got lucky?
What does "ressy" mean?

I can't remember if I've used 'upgrade' coupons with the 'NEC discount', but I know I've used 'companion' coupons with said discount in the past.

If policy has changed, it could be part of Boardman's drive towards greater 'revenue enhancement.'
maybe that is what I am specifically remembering was allowed from Flyertalk - the use of the companion coupon with the E bucket.

That being said, its no surprise to me that the E bucket would NOT be allowed for upgrades since you can't do upgrades on a fare booked with AAA or NARP discounts.

I don't think this no-upgrade restriction applies to coach tickets with the senior discount, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back