Upgrade

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Adam in MI

Hello all,

First, what a great resource! Props and thanks to the mods.

I am traveling from LNS (East Lansing, MI) to CHI (Chicago, IL) [blue Water/Michigan Services] to go CHI to GJT (Grand Junction, CO) [California Zepher] and then back about a week later. I just purchased a reserved coach ticket for all segments. Additionally, it is my first time using Amtrak, or any other passanger rail service for that matter. I figuered it was time to try it. :)

My question is if it is possible to just purchase an upgrade to some type of sleeping accomidation for just a portion of the CHI-GJT section. I was thinking about doing it from about Omaha to Denver or something (the overnight hours), but not sure if I can. I'm kinda thinking not. I would upgrade for the whole segment, but it's just too expensive for a poor college student like me. Thanks in advance.

Hi Adam,

You can get a sleeper for segments of a trip such as you are planning if they are available. I have done it numerous times and it does save some money. It is easier to either call Amtrak (1-800-USA-RAIL) or use a travel agent then trying to do it on the website (my opinion). Have a great trip.

Skip

Two more options are to ask the conductor on train once you're aboard. If there's a room available, then the conductor will give you a price, usually at a discount.

Second option is to check the reservation website a day before departure to see if there's a room available. I got one for $151 from LSV to LAX on Southwest Chief, instead of about $350.

Back