Upgrade possible?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pianocat

Lead Service Attendant
I'm booked in roomettes for this summer's western loop trip CDL - FLG - RIV - SPK - CDL. I'm wondering if I can upgrade to a bedroom for the SPK-CDL leg, using points. If so, how many are required. This is the only AGR part of the trip, rest was paid. Also, is it possible to upgrade a paid portion to bedroom with points? Thanks for your help!

A points upgrade is the difference between the points you needed for the roomette & the points you need for a bedroom.

You can't combine points & $$ for the same portion of a trip.

Thanks for the info. Betty. I probably won't bother with the AGR leg upgrade....save my points for the next trip.

If I read your post correctly Donna, I think you meant the first part is paid, and only from SPK to CDL is AGR. I think Betty thought you wanted to do all upgrades with points - including the paid portion.

She is correct that you cant combine cash and points. You can't upgrade an AGR ticket on board using points. However you can book a bedroom with points before departure. With thd EB, I would book a bedroom ASAP - if not sooner!

Are you stopping in SPK? The reason I ask is that RIV/PDX/SPK/CHI/CDL cost the same amount of points as SPK/CHI/CDL - 2 zones (20k/40k)! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, Donna did ask about upgrading a paid portion with points. I'm guessing she's referring to other segments of her trip.

"Also, is it possible to upgrade a paid portion to bedroom with points?"

I'm stopping in FLG, RIV, and SPK, so the only portion I could consider to upgrade with points [if i understand this correctly] is the SPK-CDL trip back. I have enough pts. to do it, but think I'll save them for a fall trip instead. Aside from using my AGR MC a lot, it's hard for me to accumulate points since I don't live close to a train line . Have bought all I can for this year, with bonus. Nice to know that i could do that on an AGR portion. Live and learn!

Back