Update on Seattle King Street Station Restoration

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They also called with a very similar version -- probably the longest automated call I've ever gotten.
Ha! Yeah, I thought the same thing when I got that call about 3 weeks ago...of course, I was connecting from the EB to the Cascades, so

virtually the entire call was irrelevant. :rolleyes:

On a visit to Seattle during a stay at Bellingham, I walked down to Jackson and took a walk around.

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Current Situation: The station looks and sounds like it's quite a mess right now. On the other hand the work does seem to be progressing nicely over time and it's great to know that this train station will remain in service for passenger rail customers. That may seem like a minor comfort until you consider how Sunset Station became a completely unrelated private wedding and corporate meeting rental here in San Antonio.

2. First Class Lounge: If it were me I'd make sure there were enough "first class" passengers to make a separate lounge just for them worth the permanent loss of space. Otherwise, it might be better to try making some of this money back with concessions and retailers that everyone would have access to. A coffee shop sounds like a natural idea, if not already over-served nearby. My memory of the Seattle station was that there were no restaurants or coffee shops directly across from it, but that there were shops and restaurants a block or two away. Still seems like it would be nice to have immediate access to a coffee shop or a bar or something that didn't require leaving the station itself. In fact I would find it quite enjoyable if done well.

3. Assigned Seating: I'm actually a proponent of assigned seating for some routes, but the way they do it on the Cascades makes no sense to me. It's all about hurry up and wait. And then hurry up and run so you can find the seat that was specifically assigned just for you at random. Why? I guess it doesn't matter how absurd and counterproductive this is so long as Amtrak is following someone else's orders.

4. Connections: Is it in the works or would it be possible to improve the connections with other forms of transportation? I didn't run into much trouble finding the bus that took me to my hotel but I did have to ask some folks for help and after the whole Sacramento brouhaha it's clear that every single step and every single turn counts for some folks.

5. Best Case Scenario: For me the best station I've ever seen in North America is Washington Union Station on the other side of the country. You could aspire to those facilities just about everywhere and I'd be thrilled. Now, as a matter of practicality it would not work everywhere work of course, and some things could still be improved, but the options and services that are available there match up well with my sensibilities and I would be thrilled if more stations could follow Washington's lead, so to speak. ;)

2. First Class Lounge: If it were me I'd make sure there were enough "first class" passengers to make a separate lounge just for them worth the permanent loss of space.
There should be more than enough people for an FC lounge. In addition to regular riders who achieve Select Plus from regular running on the Cascades, you've got the Coast Starlight and the EB of course. But unlike the lounge in Portland, the Seattle EB has two sleepers, plus a few rooms in the dorm. That's many more bodies than what Portland would see for the EB.

3. Assigned Seating: I'm actually a proponent of assigned seating for some routes, but the way they do it on the Cascades makes no sense to me. It's all about hurry up and wait. And then hurry up and run so you can find the seat that was specifically assigned just for you at random. Why? I guess it doesn't matter how absurd and counterproductive this is so long as Amtrak is following someone else's orders.
I agree that it really doesn't make sense for people to run to the train, when their seat is already assigned. I suspect that at least for some however, it's a matter of getting to the floor based luggage rack before it fills up and they have to put things into the overhead. Beyond that, short of that oddly American urge to always be first even when it doesn't matter, I can't explain why some line up to wait so that they can run to get a seat that no one else can take.

2. First Class Lounge: If it were me I'd make sure there were enough "first class" passengers to make a separate lounge just for them worth the permanent loss of space.
There should be more than enough people for an FC lounge. In addition to regular riders who achieve Select Plus from regular running on the Cascades, you've got the Coast Starlight and the EB of course. But unlike the lounge in Portland, the Seattle EB has two sleepers, plus a few rooms in the dorm. That's many more bodies than what Portland would see for the EB.

I agree that it really doesn't make sense for people to run to the train, when their seat is already assigned. I suspect that at least for some however, it's a matter of getting to the floor based luggage rack before it fills up and they have to put things into the overhead. Beyond that, short of that oddly American urge to always be first even when it doesn't matter, I can't explain why some line up to wait so that they can run to get a seat that no one else can take.
There was talk of adding a FC lounge. Perhaps Cascade Business Class passengers could avail themselves of it, also. I'll check but I don't think there are plans to add a FCL during this renovation. There have also been ideas concerning an eventual restaurant on the mezzanine level and rented office space on the floors above.

I agree the coach class boarding procedures at KSS are not conducive to a pleasant rail experience. I think Alan has said that the state [department of transportation] requires it that way. That's why I always go Business Class--more comfortable anyway, and avoids the long lines for coach seat assignments.

Here are some updated photos:

http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/kingstreet.htm

:hi: Thanks for the Update! This Project looks like it's a Real Improvement Project and not just a Quickie Veneer Job! Look forward to seeing the Finished Station in all it's Original Splendor in a Few Years???(It's a Government Project! :lol: ) :cool:
How about next April!! I know the renovation had some early fits and starts, but this IS the real deal. The innards of the station are being strengthened, if not practically being rebuilt. Of couse what I'm most excited about (besides the fact that the station should withstand even a strong earthquake) is all the plaster, terra cotta and marble work which will be restored, as indicated in some of the slide shows. Incidentally, the old Union Station, which served the Milwaukee Road and Union Pacific and located across the street from KSS, was beautifully restored some years ago. Although it is no longer a railroad terminal, the tracks having been torn up decades ago, the station does serve as the headquarters of Sound Transit (local commuter rail which uses KSS) and is open to the public during business hours. The Great Hall is magnificent and well worth a visit before or after using KSS. Totally different style than KSS.

The Lounge in Portland, if memory serves, is for "Sleeper car passengers" only....

Would be nice if they allowed the Cascade 'Business' class folks.....

The Lounge in Portland, if memory serves, is for "Sleeper car passengers" only....

Would be nice if they allowed the Cascade 'Business' class folks.....
Holding a Cascades Business Class ticket does not qualify you to enter the Portland lounge, but Alan is correct

that people with Select Plus status are eligible to use the lounge regardless of their level of travel (coach, BC or

sleeper). Of course, the lounge at PDX is open 9:30 - 5:00, so it's only open during 2 of the 6 Cascades

departures each day. somewhat limiting its value to Select+ passengers anyhow.

A small update to the construction layout at King Street Station. When I arrived on the CS Tuesday night, detraining passengers were able to enter the station through a door just south of the ticketing area. This provides direct access to the baggage carousel, and to buses and taxis at the west entrance.

The layout doesn't look like it will be permanent, as the floor is covered in particle board, but it was a nice shortcut, and may reduce pedestrian congestion. Previously, one had to enter through the same temporary waiting room used by departing passengers. Sorry, I didn't get a picture, but will try and get one the next time I'm there.

Update on King Street Station renovation at All Aboard Washington meeting next weekend.

King St. Station update featured at All Aboard Washington’s Jan. 12 meeting

The Saturday January 12 All Aboard Washington meeting will be held at Basil’s Kitchen, inside the Embassy Suites Hotel, at 15920 West Valley Highway, Tukwila, a short walk from the Tukwila Amtrak and Sounder Station.

The meeting will be from noon-4 p.m.

The program will feature Trevina Wang, King Street Station Restoration Project Manager. Trevina will give us an update on the restoration effort. The renovated station is expected to open later in 2013.

Take the Amtrak Cascades to the meeting. Train 513 from the north and train 500 from the south.

Come and join us.

The renovation of the main waiting room is almost complete. The "loop group" got a sneak preview the other day, and it looks spectacular. We heard that the re-opening is scheduled for April 24 -- a month ahead of schedule.

522397_588555014489211_1061592315_n.png

And a video:

Charlie, thanks again for the updates you provide.

Thank you, too, to Big Green Chauvanist for the link.

I cannot wait to get back to SEA and check out the "new" King Street Station. It does look spectacular! :)

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back