Upcoming trips, and what should I expect

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief
I am traveling from Klamath Falls to Chicago this winter. Due to a possibility of a delay, I am overnighting in Portland (outbound, #14 to #28) and in LA (return, #3 to #14). I know Portland a bit, but it's been a while since my last visit, so what are some good places to try out (other than the Saturday Market and Voodoo Donuts)? As for LA, what are some good places to try out? As I am traveling on the EB on the second leg of my outbound trip, how stable are the slopes (on average) near the Marias Pass in early mid-December? And how much snowfall should I expect when I am traveling on the EB to Chicago this December?

I am traveling from Klamath Falls to Chicago this winter. Due to a possibility of a delay, I am overnighting in Portland (outbound, #14 to #28) and in LA (return, #3 to #14). I know Portland a bit, but it's been a while since my last visit, so what are some good places to try out (other than the Saturday Market and Voodoo Donuts)? As for LA, what are some good places to try out? As I am traveling on the EB on the second leg of my outbound trip, how stable are the slopes (on average) near the Marias Pass in early mid-December? And how much snowfall should I expect when I am traveling on the EB to Chicago this December?
In Portland, Powell's Books, on Burnside. For lunch, the nearby Alder St. food cart pod. And if you're a microbrew fan, try the beer room at nearby Whole Foods for a wide range of regional beers you can buy by the bottle.

Smart move to compensate for a potential disconnect.

I did the same thing in Chicago from the Southwest Chief

to the Capitol Limited at the suggestion of the Amtrak Agent.

Smart move to compensate for a potential disconnect.

I did the same thing in Chicago from the Southwest Chief

to the Capitol Limited at the suggestion of the Amtrak Agent.
Or even worse, a bus bridge (anywhere between going up I-5 from Eugene or Albany upwards, or the dreaded Klamath Falls to Pasco bus bridge for the EB)

Don't fret about the slopes near marias pass as there are what are known as "snow sheds" that protect the trains from avalanche in the most frequent chutes, and December is one of the lower likelihood months for avalanche to occur.
There should be a couple of feet on the ground, but as with any weather, this lifelong Montanan can confirm ymmv as I have gone dirt biking on New Year's Day and had to trick or treat in the local mall due to snow.

Near LA union station is Olvera Street (cute little

Mexican village with shopping and yummy food), also nearby is Philippe's, which is something to see. Great sandwiches in an unusual set up. Those are my picks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back