Upcoming film "Everybody's Fine" to have Amtrak presense

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phila 30th St

Service Attendant
I went to see a film last night and I saw a preview for "Everybody's Fine". Apparently Robert DeNiro decides to spend the holdiays visiting his children. The previews show footage of NE Regionals, Acela and some long distance trains and a glimpse of what I belive is Chicago Union Station. Might be worth the $7 to see some trains on the big screen.

I went to see a film last night and I saw a preview for "Everybody's Fine". Apparently Robert DeNiro decides to spend the holdiays visiting his children. The previews show footage of NE Regionals, Acela and some long distance trains and a glimpse of what I belive is Chicago Union Station. Might be worth the $7 to see some trains on the big screen.
Having seen the preview a few times now, I'm looking forward to the movie (and not just because of the train scenes).

That said:

1) I might be mistaken, but I thought I saw a very brief overhead shot of a TGV (blue and gray color scheme, more angular engine than an Acela or HHP) in the montage of train-riding. :blink:

2) I agree that the scene is probably meant to be (that is, within the movie, it "is") Chicago Union Station -- we see a schedule board for a train with Galesburg towards the top of the list -- but I'm quite sure it wasn't actually (that is, filmed in) CUS.

3) I had to laugh when DeNiro's character told his seat-mate, as the train was traveling through countryside, that he made his living stringing the wires along the line. When I've been on the Lincoln Service trains between Chicago and Springfield, the wires next to the tracks are clearly the old telegraph lines abandoned in place: many of the poles are askew or in various stages of falling over, and the wires are severed and dangling in various places. I joked to my friends that "I knew he was old, but not that old!" and it reminded me a little of the very odd scene in the original Manchurian Candidate where Janet Leigh's character tells Frank Sinatra's character on a train that she was one of the original builders of the line. :blink:

IMDB kink.

Comments from IMDB pre-screening;

"It was depressing and maudlin. DeNiro's performance carried the film, which felt like a larger budget TV movie.
The story is essentially about a father looking to reconnect with his children, only to find out that he was largely unaware of the lives they were leading. It was a waste of a good cast.

They may try to market DeNiro and the movie as a more realisitic/indie "About Schmidt," but I doubt it will do much at the box office.

DeNiro is in almost every scene. It is difficult to become attached to Rockwell, Beckinsdale, or Barrymore due to their behavior and lack of screen time. The only character that the audience can potentially empathize with is DeNiro's character, Frank.

Short of Rocky & Bullwinkle, I've seen all of DeNiro's work and this is the only film I just couldn't tolerate again. Given his effort, it felt like a waste of valuable time. "
Here's a trailer.

Think I'll wait for the dvd.

Acela, an unknown station with the last letters of the sign appearing to be the end of Raleigh :huh: (which doesn't make sence for many reasons), alot of P42s, a TVG (Not Acela, a European high speed train :lol: :rolleyes: ), and the inside of the coach kinda looked like Amfleet II seats (Which look brand new, even though the seatsin Amfleet II cars are a older and pale, not freshly blue, but hey anything in Hollywood can happen lol :lol: ).

Overall I think they toatally messed the train part of the movie up again, and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back