Unusual Superliner Interior On Surfliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seat38a

Engineer
Yesterday, I saw this configuration inside of the Surfliner on my train. It looks like some food prep station. It was located right before the stairs. This was a coach / baggage Superliner Car. Can anyone shed any info on this configuration?

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

You said you saw this on a train you were on, so why didn't you ask a member of the OBS?

You said you saw this on a train you were on, so why didn't you ask a member of the OBS?
Because it was a train during the Christmas weekend, and NONE of the OBS and Conductors were in a good mood. Between the bags on seats issue and another guy who refused to remove his dog from the seat, I didn't want to be "THAT PERSON." Besides I got everyone's brain on here to pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
how DARE you ask Amtrak staff a question!
I think seat38a did the right thing. The staff on a crowded holiday train is busy keeping things running smoothly. Asking some question about an obscure piece of equipment can wait for a quieter time. Or would you prefer the conductor answer a question about an unused coffee stand and forget about reminding the engineer about an upcoming slow order?

A relatively recent addition to the Superliner coach, for possible use as the business class car, perhaps?
This is my guess as well, especially with the mid car curtain; that way assuming the seats themselves are not upgraded the car could be either full Biz or half Biz-Half Coach depending on load. The station in question looks like a very new addition and I would guess it will be the snack station for Biz, saving the walk to the cafe.

If any recalls, there are similar Amfleet configurations as well. It was to allow business class passengers access to self serve beverages and snacks. It also was a prep area for cart service. The area fell by the wayside along with cart service.

I've seen this Superliner car configuration somewhat regularly since they've added Superliner cars to the Surfliner, so it's not new. Before they installed power outlets in every row, this was one of the few places on the upper level to plug in. (The other two locations were in select rows which I have since forgotten.)

The curtain, however, is new to me. I don't recall seeing that the last time I rode in that car. That was before the Superliner car was moved to become the second business class car on the Surfliner. Perhaps the curtain was installed as part of that change.

Because it was a train during the Christmas weekend, and NONE of the OBS and Conductors were in a good mood. Between the bags on seats issue and another guy who refused to remove his dog from the seat, I didn't want to be "THAT PERSON." Besides I got everyone's brain on here to pick.
It amazes me that the crew wasn't in a good mood. Seriously get over it. This is the Railroad. There are NO holidays or weekends. They tell you that when you take the test. If you want holidays off. Go sit behind a desk. Or even better if you have seniority. Bid off. But I mean call me insane but I'm the guy that likes to work major holidays. Even more so if I'm holding a job. Double time and a half.

how DARE you ask Amtrak staff a question!
I think seat38a did the right thing. The staff on a crowded holiday train is busy keeping things running smoothly. Asking some question about an obscure piece of equipment can wait for a quieter time. Or would you prefer the conductor answer a question about an unused coffee stand and forget about reminding the engineer about an upcoming slow order?
Really? The conductor can just as easily forget to radio the head end for a speed restriction if dealing with an unruly passenger or if things are very busy. Sunday I was working and the train I was working was mobbed. I forgot to change radio channels at the NY/WIL division post. It happens even if you're dealing with passengers asking dumb questions and you're collecting fares and tickets.

No more guesses. I'm on AMTK 790 as I type. I boarded in SLO in car 1, business class (BC), but prefer the Superliner cars over the Surfliner cars a bit, so I moved to car 2. The trailing half of the car was facing what would be backwards, to I moved to the front half a couple of rows in front to the curtain. Still with a few minutes to origination departure I created a nice mess with a PC, phone, associated cables, lunch, etc., etc. The service attendant then appeared from car 3 and asked if I was to be in BC. Answered in the affirmative and she advised I was in the wrong section by a wee bit. Then she closed the curtain. Although I chose to stay put, she asked of my refreshment of choice and brought me the goodies.

As the "experiment" with a second BC car was to end something like December 4'th, it's clear they've decided to carry on. My experience over the last few months since inception is the Superliner was staying relatively empty while car 1 would get packed (communication to passengers could have been and still be improved). Clearly an entire second car is not needed for BC much, if not most, of the time and they are modifying the BC size per train based on reservations.

--Bill

No more guesses. I'm on AMTK 790 as I type. I boarded in SLO in car 1, business class (BC), but prefer the Superliner cars over the Surfliner cars a bit, so I moved to car 2. The trailing half of the car was facing what would be backwards, to I moved to the front half a couple of rows in front to the curtain. Still with a few minutes to origination departure I created a nice mess with a PC, phone, associated cables, lunch, etc., etc. The service attendant then appeared from car 3 and asked if I was to be in BC. Answered in the affirmative and she advised I was in the wrong section by a wee bit. Then she closed the curtain. Although I chose to stay put, she asked of my refreshment of choice and brought me the goodies.

As the "experiment" with a second BC car was to end something like December 4'th, it's clear they've decided to carry on. My experience over the last few months since inception is the Superliner was staying relatively empty while car 1 would get packed (communication to passengers could have been and still be improved). Clearly an entire second car is not needed for BC much, if not most, of the time and they are modifying the BC size per train based on reservations.

--Bill
Nice, so they are using it as a flexible business class car. Kind of the Euro Business Class style that most EU airlines do with the curtain dividers. I have seen plenty of sold out BC on the Surfliner especially the 700 series train so having the flexibility is welcome. I'm assuming LOSSAN paid for the new coffee station and curtain modifications as well so this new layout system maybe sticking around.

It would be nice if the San Joaquin did something like this and offered Business Class on the train.

"It amazes me that the crew wasn't in a good mood. Seriously get over it. This is the Railroad. There are NO holidays or weekends. They tell you that when you take the test. If you want holidays off. Go sit behind a desk. Or even better if you have seniority. Bid off. But I mean call me insane but I'm the guy that likes to work major holidays. Even more so if I'm holding a job. Double time and a half. "

To be fair to the crew, the problem seemed to be passengers refusing to move their stuff from the seats for other passengers to sit. Someone defecated on the toilet seat so couple of the bathrooms had to be closed off. Also in Business Class, a customer hit the brew button on the coffee machine (The one with the sticker that says do not touch) and caused coffee to brew over the whole food area. And finally, the moron with the dog who refused to move his dog from the seat. He was also sitting in the group seating area and thought having a dog with him qualified him as a "group." The Surfliner generally has great crew, but their moods definitely changes during busy times when there are more butts than seats.

Obviously Amtrak hired a certain famous British PR guru who may or may not be fictional to suggest the curtain. Since BA didn't get around to installing the little curtain on Concorde, she got her wish here!

Someone defecated on the toilet seat so couple of the bathrooms had to be closed off.
The toilets were disgusting and rather than try to clean them we just closed them off and called it a job well done. Can't be crossing no lines when it comes to crafts and egos.

This should be Amtrak's new guest relations spokesperson...

Todd_Akin%2C_official_109th_Congress_photo.jpg

"Legitimate passengers who find the bathroom closed during active

operations have ways to just shut that whole bladder thing down."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back