Union Station in LA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I am going to be in LA for a layover from the Surfliner until the TE leaves, I am wondering if there is a post office close by. I need to get a money order and send a priority envelope out while on my trip.

Also, what is the best place within reasonable money for dinner in or near LAX.

Go out the main entrance to the main street. Turn right and walk less then 2 blocks to a large Post Office. Across the street is Phillipe's, an inexpensive place for dinner. Or directly across the street from Union Station is Olivera (sp?) Street, the birthplace of LA, with many Mexican restaurants.

I also moved this thread to the main forum where many more people will see it, and hopefully respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the_traveler means Terminal Annex for the post office. If you go in, be sure to allow time to look around another superb building. I'm not sure it is still a post office, someone local would know, USPS had it up for sale a couple of years ago. If you like superb architecture and historic murals, Terminal Annex is worth a visit anyway.

I second both Philippe's and Olvera Street for meals.

This map from part of a historic walking tour may have some worthwhile tidbits for your time in LA.

I've been eating at Phillippe's for more than 50 years -- and it's still my favorite. Olvera Street is across Alameda. Chinatown is also nearby, with lots of (obviously) Chinese restaurants; one that I have enjoyed is a seafood resaturant (either ABC Seafood or 123 Seafood, I can never remember) which is on Ord Street by Phillippe's.

We are laying over between the Sunset and the Coast Starlight later this year. Need advice on eateries in the station at Los Angeles as well as close by.

Also, is there a first class lounge at the L A Station?

We are laying over between the Sunset and the Coast Starlight later this year. Need advice on eateries in the station at Los Angeles as well as close by.
No, there isn't.

To me, Phillipe is not a dinner house, it's a lunch sandwich on a paper plate. For a dinner with table service and place settings, you could have an enjoyable meal at Traxx in LAUS, but it may be out of your budget. As others have mentioned, your main choices for dinner are:

• Olvera Street (walk across Alameda from LAUS) for Mexican
  • Chinatown (walkable, or Metro Gold Line, one stop to Chinatown station)
  • Little Tokyo (Metro Gold Line, one stop in the other direction to Arts District/Little Tokyo station)
Each area has several restaurants.

I liked the Korean restaurant in Little Tokyo.

There is no first class lounge in Union Station, but if you are taking the Coast Starlight (and ONLY the CS), the Traxx Club is used as a first class lounge before boarding. They have complimentary coffee, tea, and juice, and they will check your tickets and get redcap service right form the lounge for you.

There is no first class lounge in Union Station, but if you are taking the Coast Starlight (and ONLY the CS), the Traxx Club is used as a first class lounge before boarding. They have complimentary coffee, tea, and juice, and they will check your tickets and get redcap service right form the lounge for you.
Thanks...we are taking the Starlight northbound, so this will help!

Last edited by a moderator:
from usps.com

TERMINAL ANNEX FINANCE
900 N ALAMEDA ST
LOS ANGELES, CA 90012-2904
  • Mon-Fri8:30am - 5:30pm
  • Sat8:30am - 3:00pm
  • SunClosed

I highly suggest checking hours closer to your travel as there is another round of consolidations coming beginning in March.

from usps.com

TERMINAL ANNEX FINANCE
900 N ALAMEDA ST LOS ANGELES, CA 90012-2904
  • Mon-Fri8:30am - 5:30pm
  • Sat8:30am - 3:00pm
  • SunClosed

I highly suggest checking hours closer to your travel as there is another round of consolidations coming beginning in March.
Thanks, I will do that, this will definitely help me. I will be there on March 1st, so hoping it is still there then.

There is a very nice Japanese/Chinese restaurant called Manchen with good reasonably priced food in a strip mall at the corner of Alameda and 2nd, one block from the Little Tokyo station.

As mentioned, no First Class lounge (yet). For an eatery, there's Subway, Wetzel's Pretzels, Starbucks, and a Famima convenience store all right inside the station. Across the street from the front entrance, within Olvera Street, most places will be closed at that hour, but La Noche Buena opens very early, and has great huevos rancheros, huevos con machaca and such, to eat in or to go. Make sure to get extra salsa verde!

If you do go to Phiippe I highly recommend eating right there as those long community bench tables are classic. Be sure to at least wander into the back room which is done in train theme; I have seen Southern Pacific displayed one time and Amtrak 40th Anniversary last year. But you can also get your goodies for take away and bring them back to either Traxx if waiting for the Starlight or one of the nice courtyards in the Station if the weather is nice.

Daikokuya Ramen in Little Tokyo, 327 E. 1st St. Excellent noodle house - I mean Really Good. Also Really Popular [especially with Japanese young people], and no reservations so there is frequently a line. It's a 15 minute walk from Union Station or 1 stop on the Gold Line.

I find the Chinatown stop on the Gold Line kind of inconvenient. It's better to walk to Chinatown from Union Station IMO.....walk down Alameda to Phillipe's, walk up the hill on Ord a block or so and voila.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back