Union Station Chicago - some questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroCat

Train Attendant
I will be riding to New Orleans in roomette from Chicago. When I arrive at the station with my bags, can I go direct to the lounge and check in and check bags there, or do I need to go to one of the Amtrak desks first? Also, where do taxi's drop off at the station, and from that point, how do I find the lounge? It seems like a big station, and I suspect it will be packed with commuters.

Metropolitan Lounge is very easy to find when you get off the train. You have to check in at the counter there to get a luggage pass thing, and then you can check you baggage right next to the desk for free.

Taxis drop off at the Canal Street entrance. Take the escalators down and the Amtrak counter will be immediately on your right. If you are checking bags, go to the Amtrak counter and do that. Then proceed to your left (if facing the Amtrak counter), through the doors that say ticketed passengers only. The Metropolitan Lounge will be a little to your left in front of you. Go through the doors that say sleeping car passengers only and there you are.

If you are not checking bags just go down the escalators and keep moving ahead through the ticketed passengers only doors.

Zephyr makes a good point. If you are checking bags onto the train, go to the Amtrak desk at the base of the escalators.

If you are just checking bags so you don't have to lug them around but plan to bring them on the train with you, check them in at the Lounge. The Redcap will give you a bag check ticket so you can claim your bags before boarding. They will also hold your coat for you. :)

It's only packed with cummeters twice a day. There is rush from 7 am to 9am. During those The commonters have a mindset of where they are going like a line of cattle.

Stop making fun of us commooters. We have to follow the herd. Twice a day, too. Have you ever had to walk behind a flatulent cow?

Last edited by a moderator:
This might help:

map_concourse.jpg

Sorcha, there are not enough Picards that could fill this thread. lol

But I am going to try and steer this thread back into the right pen, and steak my claim as well. :) (sorry couldnt resist)

(If you want good fries, Gold Coast Dogs has good fries, at least in my opinion)

Where's the best place to get a bite to eat as well as numerous cheap drinks or beers there (or nearby)?

The wife and I will be there at the end of March and will have a bit of a layover between the CONO and the EB.

There's a place called "The Snuggery" in the food court. It's pub-ish and looks like a sports bar. I can't speak for their beer prices, though. There's also the Metro Deli near the Great Hall. Same thing... sort of pub-ish, not as sports-oriented, with lots of cool retro posters. They have free Wi-Fi and serve beer.

If you want burgers and stuff, Boston Blackies is just north of the station, along the west side of the river. If you're looking for pizza and beer, Beggar's Pizza is SW, near Clinton and Jackson. There's also a Giordano's right across the river on Jackson, but you'll want to call ahead if you want deep dish (it takes approx. 45 minutes to bake it). Bombacigno's is on Van Buren, between Clinton and Jefferson, a bit more southwest-ish than Beggar's. I've heard good things but haven't eaten there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back