Union Station--CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRUserious

OBS Chief
It's another story, but the Empire Builder delivered me here moments after the Lake Shore Limited was off to the East. So I'm spending much more time here than planned. Had a few moments amusement exploreing the place. The Great Hall is kinda overwhelming. There is a good fifty feet of "statement space" (empty space communicating "we made it this way just cause we can). But at least it's more airy than the MSP depot.

But the interesting thing I am finding here is the independent weather systems. Since I have hours to while away, I roamed throughout the old and new parts. And right here, by the Metro Deli/Bar/Cafe seems most temperate. The food courts was quite uncomfortable. Anywhere near the doors to the tracks is another place to go when you are about ready to go. Somehow right by the Metra queue and windows is quite breezy. So there are some aerodynamics going on.

I think I want to see some of Chicago, but I want the average outside temperature to be in the 60's, not the 90's. Not sure why nontropical types would ever choose this as a destination in June or the rest of summer.

It's another story, but the Empire Builder delivered me here moments after the Lake Shore Limited was off to the East. So I'm spending much more time here than planned. Had a few moments amusement exploreing the place. The Great Hall is kinda overwhelming. There is a good fifty feet of "statement space" (empty space communicating "we made it this way just cause we can). But at least it's more airy than the MSP depot.

But the interesting thing I am finding here is the independent weather systems. Since I have hours to while away, I roamed throughout the old and new parts. And right here, by the Metro Deli/Bar/Cafe seems most temperate. The food courts was quite uncomfortable. Anywhere near the doors to the tracks is another place to go when you are about ready to go. Somehow right by the Metra queue and windows is quite breezy. So there are some aerodynamics going on.

I think I want to see some of Chicago, but I want the average outside temperature to be in the 60's, not the 90's. Not sure why nontropical types would ever choose this as a destination in June or the rest of summer.
I noticed that too when I left from there on SWC #3. I noticed the Great Hall, by far my favorite part of the station, is well patroled by Chicago's "boys in blue" AKA CPD, ensuring the bums do not take over the benches. No one gets to sleep on the bench, both feet must be touching the ground. The actual Amtrak waiting area is too much like a bus station or airport for my liking and if you are in a sleeper, a beautiful Metoropolitan Lounge. The Food Court I found dreary and depressingly similar to what might be a food hall at a high school or university to grab a quick lunch between classes.

...I noticed that too when I left from there on SWC #3. I noticed the Great Hall, by far my favorite part of the station, is well patroled by Chicago's "boys in blue" AKA CPD, ensuring the bums do not take over the benches. No one gets to sleep on the bench, both feet must be touching the ground. The actual Amtrak waiting area is too much like a bus station or airport for my liking and if you are in a sleeper, a beautiful Metoropolitan Lounge. The Food Court I found dreary and depressingly similar to what might be a food hall at a high school or university to grab a quick lunch between classes.
You nailed it. Since we live in Illinois, we travel through CHI Union Station almost every train trip we take (unless it's the SWC or CZ; then we get on in GBB). The Great Hall is magnificent. The Amtrak waiting area is a slum. The Metro Lounge is great. Fortunately, we rarely have to wait in the actual waiting area since we almost always take sleepers. We avoid the food court like a plague, but there are a few other eateries not in that court...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the Great Hall have air conditioning yet? Seems I remember reading that it was going to be added.
Yes, the AC has been installed. IMO the Great Hall is criminally underused especially given the conditions of Amtrak's waiting room. The extra 1 minute walk has been more than worth it when I've ridden coach.

The varying levels and "climates" can be blamed on the demolition of the old concourse building and having the air rights above it sold. Let's just day passanger accomadation wasn't in the forefront of the new owners. Click here for a comprehensive history as well as the current master plan for CUS, including plans to improve the Amtrak cattle, I mean waiting, room.

I have a 8-9 hour layover there in Aug, plan on storing my bags in a locker and seeing the city...

I have a 8-9 hour layover there in Aug, plan on storing my bags in a locker and seeing the city...
If you're coming off a sleeper or going to board a sleeper on your next train, you don't need lockers. You can store your bags in the lounge for free. We plan to do that when we arrive Aug 3 since we'll have a 4 hour layover there before boarding the EB.

If you're coming off a sleeper or going to board a sleeper on your next train, you don't need lockers. You can store your bags in the lounge for free. We plan to do that when we arrive Aug 3 since we'll have a 4 hour layover there before boarding the EB.
Nope, sleepers waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outside my pay grade, going just normal coach/seat on all trains from NJ to Chicago and then into Indy..

I used to think Chicago Union Station could be better, but it is an absolute vacation paradise compared to Los Angeles Union Station (spent over four hours there this past week waiting for a connecting train). No Metropolitan lounge, only horrible Subway and some pretzel stand for food options, a newsstand only slightly bigger than the average roomette, giant industrial fans blowing in an effort to combat the tropical temperatures inside the building, birds swooping through open doors and buzzing your head as you sit in the steamy waiting area, and as far as I could tell, only one bathroom for the entire place. In my mind, Chicago's drawbacks have suddenly paled into insignificance.

I eventually found lockers by gate C28 which is where the Lakeshore Limited departs. I had several more hours to wait, so I stored my stuff for 2 hours, figuring by the time I redeemed it, the wait time would be reasonable and I could just settle into one of the seats. I found the Metro Deli/Bar a comfortable place to have a beer or two. Watched two or three different sports on TV while drinking Blue Moon and Bud.

Since my layover is between 8-9 hours depending on arrival time, I plan on lockering my bag and hit the town. I figure the subway/L can't be to far from the station and I can hop on it and travel up to a Hot Dog place I want to try for lunch then head over to Wrigglyville for a while to check out the shops and might even have time to visit a few other places. I read on the chicago US website lockers are available and not to badly priced and my luggage isn't that big.

Hi

There is a drug store outside on the opposite corner to Union Station, you should be able to buy a 1 day CTA pass there, I think they are $5.75. Good for bus and "L" trains. The vending machine in the station only sells 3 day minimum passes. Clinton blue line is the closest "L" station, about 5 minutes away. Single rides on CTA are either $2 bus, or $2.25 on the "L", if I remember correctly.

Ed :cool:

I'd love to have some authentic Chicago cuisine. Guy Fieri went to a place that had really unusual burgers, DMK something. If the transit ride were doable, I'd go there.

I'd love to have some authentic Chicago cuisine. Guy Fieri went to a place that had really unusual burgers, DMK something. If the transit ride were doable, I'd go there.

DMK Burger Bar is about a 40 minute trip from Union Station. Walk over to Quincy/Wells, and take the Brown line to Wellington. Walk less than 1/4 mile to 2954 N Sheffield Ave.

I'm hoping to try a burger here the next time I'm visiting Chicago. :)

Mike

Mike, have a Bison & Rhubarb Burger for me!!

Somehow, I would prefer to have the Angus Burger

on Amtrak!!

Then I'd recommed the following, which are all within a 2mi walk from CUS or a quick cap ride away:

Pizano's Pizza

Portillo's on Ontario

Gene and Georgetti

I haven't tried DMK yet but have heard nothing but great things. You really can't go wrong with food in Chicago.

Portillo's at Ontario and Clark has great Chicago fast food - the CPD (and I) love it there. A good sit down place is at Miller's Pub - great Chicago comfort food and a good selection of booze at the Adams/Wabash L stop (nearly every L train stops there) about 8 blocks east.

I also HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Chicago's French Market in the basement concourse of Ogilvie Transportation Center (The Union Pacific Metra only station across from Union Station). It is very close. Amazing chefs whip out epic take-out dishes for an extremely reasonable $8-$10 a plate. Asian, Mediterranean, Belgian, American etc. They also have amazing booze & cheese (Pastoral) and the best chocolate milk I've ever had in my life (Produce Express). On another forum I found out that a bunch of the railroaders from Union Station head over to Ogilvie's French Market on their lunches.

If you want great Chicago pizza, I'm a worshiper of Lou Malnati's. There's one at 805 South State (Printers Row) and another at 439 North Wells (River North).

No one has even mentioned Lou Mitchell's yet, which I find surprising since I heard it was a local hangout and a favorite of Amtrak pax. However, make sure you have cash with you because they don't take checks or credit cards.

DMK Burger Bar is about a 40 minute trip from Union Station. Walk over to Quincy/Wells, and take the Brown line to Wellington. Walk less than 1/4 mile to 2954 N Sheffield Ave.

I'm hoping to try a burger here the next time I'm visiting Chicago. :)

Mike
I'll check back here when I'm in Chicago with the time to spare. And all these other names people bring up really remind me of all the programs where someone has featured an outstanding food destination in Chicago. In addition to Italian, I have to believe there are Greek and Middle Eastern places,too.

No one has even mentioned Lou Mitchell's yet, which I find surprising since I heard it was a local hangout and a favorite of Amtrak pax. However, make sure you have cash with you because they don't take checks or credit cards.
Replying to my own post because we discovered last week that they are now accepting credit cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back