UK: London to Inverness - Sleeper Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That lounge car setup is completely different looking than it was under ScotRail (also no reservations, the mad rush to the lounge after getting your ticket taken). Looks nice, though I did like the cozy couch/bench under the old operator, made it fell like a lounge rather than a cafe or restaurant car.
I've since discovered they rotate the lounge cars. Repeating the trip two weeks Wednesday so keen to report on that trip.

That lounge car setup is completely different looking than it was under ScotRail (also no reservations, the mad rush to the lounge after getting your ticket taken). Looks nice, though I did like the cozy couch/bench under the old operator, made it fell like a lounge rather than a cafe or restaurant car.
I've since discovered they rotate the lounge cars. Repeating the trip two weeks Wednesday so keen to report on that trip.
Very nice! I've ridden it twice. Once way back in 1994 London to Inverness, then in 2013 Fort William to London. One of my favorite overnight trains. My only criticism of it is that the beds don't convert to seats. In a two berth compartment there's not a great way to sit and hang out, the lounge is the only option - of course I prefer that anyway, but it gets full.

Great Trip Report and thanks for posting. It reminds me of my first trip across the pond about 25 years ago.

After arriving in Glasgow the first day..I found out I could get an Sleeper for a very reasonable supplement to my First Class Pass at a fraction of what a hotel would cost me.

That first evening I boarded the Night Limited and headed for London and the start of my 14 nights of riding sleepers. You could usually get on a hour or so before departure then remain aboard long after arrival in the morning.......and there was always a wake-up call with tea and biscuits.

I criss-crossed the UK on that trip and certainly got the value out of my Pass. I would visit an area for a day..then board a Sleeper in the evening. There were still short overnight ScotRail Sleepers available. One was: Depart Glasgow at 2330 and into Inverness at 0430 in plenty of time to get the 0630 train to Thurso......an enjoyable ride as far north as you can go.......then back to Inverness for one of the longer Sleeper journeys: Depart at 1930 and into London Euston the next morning at 0640.

And another long Sleeper ride: After a day riding out to Mallaig and back.....I boarded a London bound sleeper in Fort William at 1730.....then the long climb up to Corrour looking out onto the snow swept Rannoch Moor under a bright moon while enjoying a Glenfiddich!

Image%2BX.jpg

Great story! I have used Trains all over the world this way in order to not have to pay for hotels!

The last such trip was in 2004 utilizing a NARP (30 Day Unlimited VIA/Amtrak Pass) all over Canada and the US.

Bob, knew you would have done something like this and we to a certain extent do something similar but only for a night or two. The thought of never going to a hotel and just using sleepers for an entire vacation is new to me but think it's an excellent idea.

Your 2004 trip sounds amazing, were you exhausted by being on the move all the time?

Back