Uber vs. a regular taxicab

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how it works in other multi-city metro areas, but here in Hampton Roads taxis can only pick up fares in the city where their company is based. Which means the rates double when you cross city lines so they can make up for having to drive back to their own city empty. A taxi from Portsmouth is free to carry a fare from Portsmouth to Norfolk but cannot then pick up a fare in Norfolk to drive back to Portsmouth. Uber/Lyft aren't bound by this rule.

I have pretty much given up on the traditional Taxi industry and presume that they will eventually either become like Uber/Lyft or die the death of a dinosaur. This impression is from observing developments in diverse places ranging from American cities to European and Indian cities and even suburban and rural areas to some extent. The Taxi industry appears to be incapable of adjusting to the new realities.

I'm no fan of the Uber/Lyft model of building their business on the backs of the drivers (classifying them as independent contractors so they don't have to worry about labor laws, etc.) That said, most taxi companies, from what I've heard, weren't much better in that regard, especially with them often leasing out taxis to drivers and the drivers would have to figure out how to make their money from there (often making barely minimum wage after expenses are factored in.) To me, that's basically a net neutral.

Taxi companies, however, can't seem to figure out how to build a remotely usable ride-hail app, at least when I last tried a year or two ago. The couple of times I tried the ride wouldn't confirm even after waiting 5ish minutes, or it would claim it was booked but the ETA would keep climbing and the car in the app wouldn't show movement at all. This was during afternoon rush in an inner-ring suburb, which shouldn't have issues finding a driver. When Uber and Lyft can provide confirmation of a ride heading your way in seconds, maybe a minute or two at most, not being able to confirm that ride and actually have the driver head your way if/when it does confirm seems like a major oversight. They very much seem to be stuck in the mindset of a 30 minute to an hour wait before getting a taxi dispatched is okay; when the competition can do it in minutes (with confirmation in seconds) that doesn't hold up.

Back