Two Seats Together - Acela FC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter20

Train Attendant
I'm sure this has been answered but I've searched several items and can't find an old thread.

I need to go out of town suddenly on a trip that is going to have me in several places over a couple days. I have found that I'm will need to get from Philly to DC - so I immediately thought of the train. I have wanted to ride the Acela for at least 5 years now (I live in FL so I have very few opportunities). My wife and I have spoke of taking a trip from DC to Bos via Acela but the last 3 years we keep postponing it. I'm thinking maybe I will just do it this trip. While I recognize the price is excessive, I will call it an early Christmas present or whatever.

Now that I have decided to do it - I'm leaning towards considering FC. However, I don't want to spend FC $$ and then not be able to sit with my wife - it would take away from the experience. We would be leaving either Philly or Wilmington early afternoon or early evening. Has anyone had an experience or feedback they can provide on if we will be able to get two seats together?

This will be a last minute ticket due to a crazy schedule; so the price may change and the idea may get scrapped altogether.

Boarding in Philly is always dicey on getting two seats together. I think you have a better chance in FC than BC. Early afternoon is probably better than early evening.

You might not get the table for two (single seats facing each other) or the pair of seats, but I think worst case you will get to sit together at a 4 person table.

Redcap won't help with getting seats together in PHL, you will take the elevator to the platform right from the Club Acela. You will be waiting on the platform when the train pulls in.

If you're going all the way to BOS, you may consider getting a BC ticket to NYP and then a FC ticket from NYP to BOS! The train mostly empties out at NYP, and FC is also less from NYP north then on the southern half! :)

For a ride to DC IMO FC isn't worth the price. But YMMV. I travel FC when heading north to the Boston area. That's the way to do it. 2 meals included. More booze, etc. I find that it depends on the train on how seats are. I've been on 2158, 2160, 2164, and even did 2258 once. I found that on 2158 and 2160 seats are typically more open. 2164 is typically open until NYP. The time I did 2258 it was a holiday and seating was hit and miss.

If you're going all the way to BOS, you may consider getting a BC ticket to NYP and then a FC ticket from NYP to BOS! The train mostly empties out at NYP, and FC is also less from NYP north then on the southern half! :)
That kind of seems like a PITA plus the FC charge is actually a great value from farther south as it only goes up a little bit even though its a much longer ride. For example I believe its $99 from NYP - BOS for FC and only $129 from WAS - BOS for FC.

But, excellent point that the car almost always empties at NYP. If you are in FC and don't get your choice seats upon boarding in WIL or PHL, just wait until NYP and then switch seats. People do this all.the.time. Just be sure to do it as soon as the people start detraining, because there will be folks with redcaps on the platform waiting to board.

Leaving in the early evening I doubt you will be able to get two seats together unless you are boarding at DC. However as others have said, the train will empty out at NYP and then you can get seats together. The exception is that you may be able to find two seats next to each other at a 4 person table, the only caveat is that someone else will be sitting on the other side.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm sorry but my I guess my question was confusing.

We will be going from WIL or PHL to WAS. It will only be 1hr 20 mins or 1hr 45 based on where we leave from.

My dream trip was to go the entire length but we keep putting that trip off and now sounds as good as every.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back