Two SCAs and no waiting but how to tip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi.

Just wondering how any of you have handled tipping when you have two SCAs -- one an experienced one and one a trainee?

I had this situation recently on the CZ both ways between Chicago and Denver. In both directions, it was the trainee's first trip. One the way out, the work was split between both the experienced person and the trainee. I am not sure they took turns, I just think just did whatever needed to be done.

For this part of my journey, I just added a bit to what I would normally give one SCA and split it between the two of them. (btw I am one of those people who give the SCA the tip I would have left if I had gone to the dining car *PLUS* whatever tip I would have left for helping me in my room.

Coming back, the distribution of labor was not equal. The trainee did most of the work (and very well!) and the experienced SCA put my bed down. That is it. I never saw him again until the end of the train.

Now, I did give them both a tip -- a sizeable one to the trainee and a modest one to the other. Again, I based this on who did the most work.

Just curious how any of you have done this in the past.

I also wondered if in these situations they share tips???

Thanks!
-Jackie

Well to be honest... It's completely up to the trainer what happens to the tips. I had a trip where we did $150 in tips roundtrip, and we split the work 50/50, and they shared $20. Then there was a trip where we did $80 down (split it for $40 each), and I worked the return trip "by myself" and he was nice enough to let me keep everything.

As stated, the assigned SCA trainer is the person in charge, and if you give a single tip to the trainer, he may or may not share it fairly. Keep that in mind. I would personally tip them separately, according to the amount of service each one provided to me. To some trainers, training is something they don't like to do because it means that fair treatment of the trainee means their own tips will be reduced.

Tom

This is where the train world is different than your typical restaurants. In many restaurants, a trainee is at a nominally minimum wage hourly rate. Tipping isn't passed on to them. Only when the strings are loosed and they go out on their own, do they keep their own tips, or have community tips (which I find wrong), and a reduced hourly rate of pay.

On Amtrak, the trainee gets a lower hourly rate, but not below any sense of minimum wage. The trainer gets paid their union rate PLUS tips.

So, I would agree with Tom, et al that on a train you should probably tip the trainee and trainer separately.

Not sure how Amtrak handles Trainer pay, but in my company and also where my daughter works, the trainer is paid either a per trainee bonus or a per hour extra for the hours worked with the trainee. Our company does this because generally, because we do not enjoy having a trainee with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back