Two hilarious episodes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadonatrain

Service Attendant
Not sure if this is what to post here, but since this board is for us rail fans, I’ll share two hilarious episodes I encountered on my trips.

On the Zephyr just out of San Francisco, before Sacramento, some years ago, I missed this myself even though I was already in the lounge car when several riders swore they saw, outside, on a blanket right near the tracks, in the grass, a young couple FULLY enjoying themselves as we passed by! 😆😆😆

A chap riding beside me on the Capitol Ltd told me of the trip he took on the SW Chief once that was 8 hours late meandering through rural Kansas behind a freight train they couldn’t get past. He said an older couple was several rows ahead of him in coach. The gentleman was clearly a serious train buff having the time of his life watching Kansas crawl by at about 4 mph! The guy said the man’s wife was clearly hating every minute of the trip! He said mostly only the other passengers a row or two from her could make out her constant grumbling, until out the window as the train crawled through some little town a jogger went past them in the same direction they were headed! 😝

He said, “That’s when she lost it!” He said the whole coach heard her scream “Jesus *****, Harry! Now the joggers are going faster than we are! I’m never riding another train the rest of my life!”

I took my girlfriend on a steam excursion behind 261 on a trip to Galesburg. I knew it was going to be a long day when I took her to the vestibule and an open Dutch door to admire 261 as we made the turn onto the BNSF line when she looked at the smoke and said, “Isnt thisa an ozone alert day?” We returned to our seats.

Then something went wrong with the bearings in the wheels of 261. We sat in Mendota a couple of hours and then preceded west at a restricted speed. We were on the eb track heading west. A parade of freights were passing us at speed. GF looked out as the 4 freight highballed past and said, is this normal?”

Back