Two Days To Go!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylou

Train Attendant
Only 2 more days before we leave on our first trip: Galesburg to Chicago to DC to Ft. Lauderdale, then on a 10 day cruise, and returning by train in the reverse order. I'm 50% nervous and 50% excited! Thanks again for all the valuable advice from this forum...hopefully we've learned enough from you all so as not to look like total "train virgins"! :D

I'll try to keep a journal and post a trip report when we get home in late January.

All Aboard and Bon Voyage!

Cindy

Not to make you worried or anything, but have you A) scheduled PLENTY of time (an extra day?) to arrive at the cruise port on time, and B ) purchased travel insurance in case you miss a connection somewhere in there? If one of your trains runs into a problem you might miss the boat. I've heard that cruise lines are notoriously stingy with any kind of refund for that sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like an ideal trip. We have been on both cruises and long distance train travels. But never on the same time. You gave me an idea for the next time!

I hope you have a great time.

GregL

cindylou! First off, welcome to the board! Second, Happy New Year. And Third, your trip sounds awesome! My only advice is this: just relax. Something will go wrong somewhere along the way. Its all in how you and the people around you react. With Amtrak, just take it for what it is and keep an eye out for what they can do better and report that to them. Perception is crucial! Who says you can't sit on an Amtrak train and not imagine you are sitting in the old streamliners of yore?

In the great words of Clark W. Griswold: "its all part of the experience honey......"

have an amazing time, take PLENTY OF PHOTOS, and post one heck of a trip report when you get back. Getting there is half the fun.

More coal!

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to make you worried or anything, but have you A) scheduled PLENTY of time (an extra day?) to arrive at the cruise port on time, and B ) purchased travel insurance in case you miss a connection somewhere in there? If one of your trains runs into a problem you might miss the boat. I've heard that cruise lines are notoriously stingy with any kind of refund for that sort of thing.

Yes, hopefully we have built enough of a time cushion in to our trip...we are to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday night, and don't board the cruise ship until mid-day on the following Tuesday. The trains we are on (SWC, CL, and SM) appear to be running "pretty close" to on schedule lately, and we have about a 3 hour layover in Chicago, and about 5 or 6 hours in DC.

And yes, we have travel insurance for the cruise. You're right, the cruise lines are a little stingy about refunds if you miss the boat!

Cindy

Cindylou,

I hope you have a great train trip and cruise.

I took my 93 year old Father-In-Law on a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale last March. We went from New York to Ft Lauderdale on the Silver Star.

We arrived one day prior to the cruise and depared one day after the arrival of the ship.

Grandpa said he enjoyed the train trip as much as the cruise.

We had a bedroom and he took his meals in the room.

We had a very good attendant who took good care of us.

The best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back