Two days on the Builder in coach with kids and parents

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruck

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
We decided we wanted to visit a dear aunt who lives in Salem, OR, plane tickets were prohibitively expensive (plus my parents don't like to fly), and driving just sounded plain exhausting (I would be doing the vast majority and this was supposed to also be a vacation). So with that in mind I convinced everyone that the train was the best course of action.

There were six of us who made the trip, my 10 month old son, 3 year old daughter, my wife and I, and my parents. We would like to have taken the sleepers but the cost would have ended up greater than flying (by a large margin) so coach it was. We're all pretty low frills people so we weren't concerned, additionally we generally approach things as adventure as well as with a good dose of humor (we still laugh about running across the Atlanta airport on our honeymoon as an example).

We all live in Central/Northern Indiana, it was decided that rather than grab a train in at Elkhart or Lafayette we would all meet in Glenview, this would give us a little later in the day starting point as well as not necisitate schlepping our luggage around Union Station, or having to entertain kids there. We rolled into Glenview about 30 minutes ahead of the train arrival, stopping at Jimmy Johns for sandwiches to carry on. After arriving at the station we talked to the attendent who gave us stickers to put in our cars, she also directed us where to be on the platform. Unfortunately this would prove incorrect, which combined with some serious overpacking resulted in some f-bombs from the crew (maybe assitant-conductors, funny hat and all that) while we loaded. This seemed to bother my parents, I'm a programmer, people are rarely happy with us (think about the amount of times you get mad at the computer vs. the amount of times you say hey that's awesome!) so it was no sweat off my back. Although frankly I was surprised as in the customer facing positions I've been in dropping f-bombs were they to be reported could result in some rather serious punishment and/or a firing.

We got the luggage on board, and off we went. We were in the last coach (not including sleeper or addon coach at the rear). We were positioned one row from the front. The trip out was mostly uneventful except for my daughter coming down with a cold. She would sleep on the floor at night on a make shift bed of blankets, my son would sleep in his carseat, and the rest of us would sleep as best we could. Since my wife and I had bought seats for each kid we actually had an extra seat since neither slept in it. My father tried to sleep across two seats but the attendant moved him. He did say he slept better the second night, though he does have a bad back.

We lost time across Wisconsin/Minnesota at one point being an hour down because of slow orders but we made that back by the time we arrived in Portland. The views were fantastic, I really enjoyed seeing all the oil work up close, I've read about the various boom-times in history books but it was very neat to see it up close and in person. Though some may find North Dakota boring I enjoyed all the scenery, but then I've always enjoyed looking out the window. The mountains were fantastic, we even saw some mountain goats. The kids really enjoyed it, my daughter could walk around, we could take her to the restroom (we're still potty training) or the observation car, she could change seats and Grammie got the vast majority of her time. As a rule we try to be concentious of others, though facts are a 10 month old and a 3 year old are never going to act 30. However, if one would start to fuss we would take them downstairs to settle. Our coach car was the combination coach baggage so downstairs really worked well, in fact if traveling with kids I think I will always try to either be in this car, or know where it is. My wife even made use of the dressing room area as a further wall between upset child and other passengers.

We ate only breakfast in the dining car on the way out, packing snacks otherwise. Breakfast was good, my daughter liked her pancakes, with the rest of us either having scrambled eggs or oatmeal.

The service on our outbound trip was marketedly worse than our inbound. Our attendant couldn't be found, or (as was the case when the coach's door seemed to be getting stuck open) was uninterested in fixing or even looking at the problems. The bathrooms were never cleaned. When she could be found it was often in her seat on her phone with headphones in. Now I realize being a coach attendant is a hard job, being on all the time, I have know idea what the pay is, but still for appearances sake I think limiting visible phone usage might aught to be considered. It's unfortunate but people see that and assume the worst (when I was a cook we were not allowed to hang out in the dining room because even if we weren't involved with cooking on the line people would see us not working and be frustrated by their meal times even if their meal was prepared quickly). The lounge car attendant was very relaxed, often times coming over the speaker to remind us of booze available in the lounge car, this might have contributed to what was quite the party by the time we hit the mountains, to the point that they came on the speaker to remind people about their language, not drinking private stock, and in general to not just get smashed. I drink, heck I brew beer, but in general I did find the observation car to not be enjoyable by the time we got to the mountains because it was so loud, additionally the conversations were generally quite adult in language, didn't bother me, but did my parents.

As was said we arrived in Portland on time.

The return trip was quite the opposite of the first. The red-caps were fantastic, they came up to us and basically said hey we see you've got a decent amount of luggage and kids, how about we pre-load your luggage for you and pre-board you after the sleepers. Which we agreed to, they said meet them at 4 and they'd load us, they took our luggage, and now with our luggage gone we enjoyed a couple hours walking around Portland, we even tried the famous food trucks, which were fantastic. Arriving back at the station, the red-caps found us and we boarded our car first. This time we took one pair of seats in the front row, and the both pairs in the second. While the front row lacked tray tables, the extra space was nice for my son. We departed Portland on time.

In general I found the scenery east bound to be not as great as the scenery west bound(though I enjoyed it), however after a week of vacation, I was taking more naps than on the outbound trip and may have just dozed through the super-scenic parts. We ate breakfast once in the dining car, with the exception of my father we all had the french toast, he had the burrito. The french toast wasn't great, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I had had the french toast about a year and a half before on the Texas Eagle and I remember really liking it (which was why everyone got it as I had talked it up) but this time it was just so-so. My Dad loved his burrito. For other meals we either snacked or hit up the lounge car.

The crew on this trip was completely different from the first trip. Our attendant Bo seemed to take very good care of everyone, was helpful, seemed to actually enjoy his job, bathrooms were clean (though the trash was starting to overflow by the end of the trip). Alexis in the lounge kept a very tight reign on things and in general was pretty straight-forward, I expect she could rub people the wrong way but I liked her. There would be no drunken parties this trip. Apparently on our first night there was guitar player in the car after 11pm which she had run-off, not sure I agree with that(it's the lounge if there weren't complaints I don't see the issue), though maybe she was implementing her own version the Broken Windows Theory. Just noticed that I included the names this trip, I have no ideas of the names on the outbound trip as they weren't wearing tags.

One thing that did happen on the return trip was a failure of the vacuum system in our car meaning the toilets didn't work for the last day and a half. What they said over the speaker was somebody had flushed something, perhaps a pre-trip gift of Exlax might ought to be included with a ticket purchase :D

We lost time in the same place on the return trip, getting into Glenview about a half hour down. Again the assistant conductors could be heard complaining. Part of our problem was even though we had 6 people, only 2 of us could manage luggage as my wife had my son, and my mother was handling my daughter, still we got everything unloaded. I understand the crew's frustration, I'm just not sure swearing in front of customers is really prudent, like I said earlier didn't bother me, but did bother my parents.

So after all of this what was the verdict of everyone?

All said they would readily do the trip again.

Changes we would make:
less snacks
pack less (in my case the reverse, there was a miscommunication and my clothes remained in Indiana)
my parents are considering a Credit Card that would get them AGR points so they ride in the sleeper
less books (we just look out the window)
more audio/video stuff for my kids, we tried to bring games(Trouble, cards...), but in general the audio books/dvds worked best (for my daughter, my 10 month old was quite satisifed with a tennis ball though I suspect that will change).

For those considering traveling with kids here are my thoughts, and this is based off a sample size of one easy to please 10 month old, and one energetic/strongwilled 3 year old. For trips 2 nights and up an extra set of hands is great, to the point I don't think we would attempt a 2 night trip on our own, a 1 night trip sure. Even if a child qualifies to ride free, buying them a ticket (at half price) is probably worth it for the extra space. Snacks are nice, though you certainly didn't need the quantity we brought. Get up and move around, just getting a different set of scenery helps.

It appears that this will be the first of many trips my family takes.

Awesome report. Thanks for sharing. Yes - I've noticed, too, that the less-than-prudent crews seem to misplace their name tag! Glad you all had a good time. It does irritate me that people who are in a position to help complain about helping. It's in their job description, so they shouldn't complain.

This is a route that is still on my bucket list. Hope to do it some day!

I finally learned to stop over-packing after my second trip. I ride the Southwest Chief between Chicago and Albuquerque. Like you, I spend most of my time looking out the window, even though I've taken that trip several times. Not only do I see something new every time, but I find myself looking for some of my old favorites, whether they be pretty scenery, something funny, or a "mile marker" that shows how close we are. ("Mile marker" being something like the Raton Tunnel, not an actual mile marker.)

Now, I just bring my phone (it has a camera and video), laptop, and one book for reading at night. Even at night, though, I like to look at the cities and stations we pass through.

I finally learned to stop over-packing after my second trip. I ride the Southwest Chief between Chicago and Albuquerque. Like you, I spend most of my time looking out the window, even though I've taken that trip several times. Not only do I see something new every time, but I find myself looking for some of my old favorites, whether they be pretty scenery, something funny, or a "mile marker" that shows how close we are. ("Mile marker" being something like the Raton Tunnel, not an actual mile marker.)
Now, I just bring my phone (it has a camera and video), laptop, and one book for reading at night. Even at night, though, I like to look at the cities and stations we pass through.
Yeah next time we'll definitely pack lighter, some stuff is required because of the kids, but we all agreed instead of packing tons and tons of food/snacks, pack a few and make use of the snack car, some baggies of celery, fruit cups, combined with a purchase of a sandwich will take up far less space than what we packed.

I too enjoy looking at the cities and towns at night, it's just so interesting/relaxing to me.

Fascinating report, and sounds like a great adventure, marred by sweary staff.

It's just unacceptable to swear in front of passengers.

Really great trip report! Having just traveled in coach with a three-year old (but only for 2 1/2 hours), I can well imagine the challenges, but it all sounds like a nice adventure! We loved the Empire Builder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back